The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Another Fedor match that I think adds to his aura is the Brett Rogers fight. Sure, Rogers was found out to be a bit of a can, but at the time he was scary with ridiculous power. He broke Fedor's nose in the first round with his first punch, and Fedor still came back to destroy him. It's not a victory in the way that he beat Cro Cop or Nog, but it shows his other qualities as a champion.

GSP is saying that he is unlikely to fight at 185lbs again.

Prelim talks are taking place for Whittacker and Rockhold to fight next year. The UFC's Middleweight division is crazy. Even with it losing GSP and Mousasi, it's still stacked and full of strong fighters. However, if pressed, I would single out Rockhold as the outright best in the division. He's far from bullet-proof, as his loss to Bisping, and being clipped by Branch showed; but I would favour him to beat any other Middleweight on paper. He's a bit of a monster in the grappling department. If he can take Whittacker to the mat, and keep him there for a prolonged period, it's likely to be curtains. 

• Paid Members

I'd say Rockhold has the most well rounded game overall and the most weapons but I'm done counting out Whittaker. I didn't give him much hope against Jacare and he made him look shit. I didn't give him a real shot of beating Romero either and he did it even with the gammy knee. The man's an animal. He's really come into top form this last year. At this point it really wouldn't surprise me if he beats Rockhold as well. In fact, I'd be over the moon if he did. 

It's a great fight though. And by pure process of elimination I reckon this might leave us with Romero vs Gastelum as well. Which would be incredible. 

• Paid Members

Does anyone on here follow UFC (including the PPVs) solely through Fight Pass? I'm dropping BT Sport and thinking about getting Fight Pass either permanently or in months with a big show, but wondered how easy people find it to avoid spoilers till the Tuesday morning? I kinda wonder if there'd be the irony that any show big enough that I'd definitely want to see it would also be big enough that avoiding spoilers was almost impossible.

• Paid Members

I don't have BT anymore, I have Fight Pass, but like you say Lister, waiting until Tuesday morning and avoiding spoilers is almost impossible for a big show. Being a busy man I don't suppose you watchwrestling .in the house much John?

• Paid Members

Bit of an odd request this and apologies if this isn't the right place for a question/request... 

I was doing some general browsing the other day and Google algorithms advertisements was showing a rather cool Tshirt depicting Darth Vader rear naked choking someone with caption that I can't quite remember. It would be a very cool Xmas present to get someone I know, but I can't for the life of me find it again. 

Has anyone seen this shirt on the Internet? Any pointers or info would be greatly appreciated and you'll be showered in adulation and Christmas cheer. 

Thanks 

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, the_mole said:

Stipe - Ngannao already set for 220 apparently, the events in Boston & Daniel Cormier defends the LHW belt in the co main, looks a must see just by the top two fights.

Brendan+Schaub+Premiere+Warner+Bros+Pict

It's borderline shameful how excited I am for this fight. The New Year needs to get in fast! FAST!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chunk said:

Thanks for looking Chunk. It was defo a rear naked choke but if I can't find it, the arm bar one is pretty damn awesome and will most definitely suffice.

Cheers pal!

:xmas:

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, the_mole said:

Stipe - Ngannao already set for 220 apparently, the events in Boston & Daniel Cormier defends the LHW belt in the co main, looks a must see just by the top two fights.

listening to the Rogan MMA show and he's claiming Stipe/Ngannou is the biggest fight in the histoy of heavyweight MMA, Joes pissed isn't he?

Aye. Fedor vs Cro Cop was the biggest in terms of historic value. To date, that was where Heavyweight MMA peaked. Fedor and Cro Cop were both proven fighters when they fought, and two of the three best MMA Heavyweights to have ever lived. Ngannou - while very exciting - is still nowhere near as proven. 

"Biggest" is a vague term though. You could also argue the first JDS vs Cain fight, due to it headlining the first UFC show on FOX. You could even argue Lesnar vs Mir 2 at UFC 100. As a PPV spectacle, that was where the UFC's initial boom period peaked. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, Rogan fucking loves a bit of goofy overexaggeration. It'd be one thing if he said it's the heavyweight fight he's most interested in in the history of MMA. Or his most anticipated or whatever. That's his opinion. But biggest? Not a chance. Not in any way you measure what makes a fight 'big'. It'll probably do 12 buys unfortunately. Unless it's on with a huge fight like McGregor or GSP's next fight or something. So from a business POV it's not the biggest ever. It doesn't compare to fights like Fedor vs Cro Cop in terms of anticipation or have that true clash of the titans feeling like Cain vs JDS either. It doesn't have the bitter feud factor like Lesnar vs Mir 2. It doesn't have a really established guy like Randy Couture who had a long history and was beloved. Even if you go with 'big' in a literal sense it's not the two biggest heavyweights we've ever seen, in fact Stipe is pretty mid-sized for a heavy. It's two absolute savages and I can't wait to see it but it's not the biggest 

Saw another thing Rogan said that Ngannou will be a bigger star than McGregor within 2 or 3 fights, something like that. I mean, you can see the obvious star potential in Ngannou. We've all said it. He ticks all the boxes for what you want out of a heavyweight. But there's so many things still to be answered yet and heavyweight MMA is a bit of a lottery at the best of times. 

I'd love to see a fight like Miocic vs Ngannou really catch on and become some monster fight but it's just not happening, is it? Only people who already watch MMA know who either of them are. Ngannou's KO of Overeem has probably been shared enough on social media that it's gone beyond that slightly but not in any significant way that's going to make this Lewis vs Tyson or something. 

Archived