The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Between MMA and Boxing, all this is in the next 3 weeks...

Dec 2nd:

Max Holloway vs Jose Aldo 2

Alistair Overeem vs Francis Ngannou

Henry Cejudo vs Sergio Pettis 

Eddie Alvarez vs Justin Gaethje 

Tecia Torres vs Michelle Waterson 

Miguel Cotto vs Sadam Ali

Dec 9th:

Cub Swanson vs Brian Ortega 

Vasyl Lomachenko vs Guillermo Rigondeaux 

James DeGale vs Caleb Truax

Dec 16th:

Robbie Lawler vs Rafael Dos Anjos 

Santiago Ponzinibbio vs Mike Perry

Billy Joe Saunders vs David Lemieux 

All that plus GLORY 48 and shows from Bellator, Invicta etc. Losing Bellew vs Haye 2 doesn't seem so bad looking at that lot. 

• Paid Members

Crickey!

Cejudo v Pettis, Reem v The Parisian Experiment, Swanson v Ortega, RDA v Lawler - nowt to bitch about this month. Let's just hope not one of those names loses a finger or needs a 12 hour boner.

Particularly, Cejudo v Pettis is all manner of great. It's pretty silly that, IMO, the most exciting matches in that division don't feature DJ, but that's all down to DJ being too good. I like that they're doing this before one of them probably gets DJ next. Although, I think Cejudo could probably do with another fight or two, seeing how massive his improvements are. Interestingly, he's had a taste of DJ now, so knows what he's up against next time. If there was a bloke to beat prime DJ you always fancied Cejudo being the guy, considering his background.

13 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Crickey!

Cejudo v Pettis, Reem v The Parisian Experiment, Swanson v Ortega, RDA v Lawler - nowt to bitch about this month. Let's just hope not one of those names loses a finger or needs a 12 hour boner.

Particularly, Cejudo v Pettis is all manner of great. It's pretty silly that, IMO, the most exciting matches in that division don't feature DJ, but that's all down to DJ being too good. I like that they're doing this before one of them probably gets DJ next. Although, I think Cejudo could probably do with another fight or two, seeing how massive his improvements are. Interestingly, he's had a taste of DJ now, so knows what he's up against next time. If there was a bloke to beat prime DJ you always fancied Cejudo being the guy, considering his background.

I agree on Cejudo. He handled his controversial loss to Benavidez brilliantly, he looks a different beast now.  He was too inexperienced the first time he was put in with DJ, but I think they could have a FOTY-contender rematch if they clash in 2018. Got to get past Pettis first, I think he will. 

• Paid Members

i really have no issue with Cormier/Volkan. Its a fresh 205lb'er who we really know little about getting a crack whilst he has some buzz about him, intriguing fight. It might end up being a bust, but that's why they fight.

• Paid Members

You can't be made at that main event. Better than last years January death card main event.

Schaub said on the JRE MMA Show, last night, the UFC were trying to make Stipe v Cain for 220, but Cain still isn't ready, which I'm somewhat pleased about, because it shows he's finally giving his body a chance to rest up. Schaub also reckons if Ngannou looks like Superman at the weekend they may give him the title shot at 220.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

"You can't be made at that main event". Tit.

Don't beat yourself up, man - we all understood you were referring to the Fertittas not giving away their Mafia heritage and promoting someone to full capo.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Schaub also reckons if Ngannou looks like Superman at the weekend they may give him the title shot at 220.

Schaub really going out on a limb there. It's pretty obvious that the Overeem vs Ngannou winner is probably front of the queue for the next crack at Stipe, just because who else is there? Wins over Walt Harris and Marcin Tybura don't really make Werdum's case very strongly. Overeem vs Ngannou is the two next biggest baddest dogs in the yard after Stipe. And it's probably ending in highlight reel fashion either way. It's a no brainer as a #1 contenders match. 

And yeah this was just me taking another opportunity to say piss off Schaub. 

• Paid Members

In fairness, he's talking specifically about the match taking place at 220, rather than just taking place whenever. By "superman" he's talking early stoppage with little damage to the winner. Obviously, if it's a bit of a scrap, January may be out of the question. Also, say Ngannou isn't ready for January and Cain is fit a month or two later, they're probably going with Cain. It's not a total no brainer with schedules and Cain in the picture.

• Paid Members

Cain Veglassquez is never in the picture. It's sad but it seems a sharp wind could have him laid up in A&E these days. 

Nah. I know what you mean. I just never pass up a chance to take a pop at Schaub. He seems to think he's way more important than he is. He's basically just Hulk Rogan's 'Big Brown' Beefcake. 

Archived