The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Thompson's camp have came out and said to hold the phone on any fight with Till. That Wonderboy may have two broken thumbs, as well as ligament damage in his hands following the Masvidal fight. As well as that they are saying they haven't even been approached about the fight yet, and that they prefer to "fight up" rather than down the rankings. It could be an unlikely one at this stage.

So much in the division depends on Tyron Woodley's shoulder, and what GSP wants to do. There are so many ways they can go with the fights they book over the next while, that none of the options are bad, and the whole division from top to bottom is full of assassins. Lightweight, Welterweight and Middleweight are incredibly deep at the moment. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

i understand the logic of saying you want to 'fight up' but there's only Woodley and Lawler above Wonderboy in the rankings. He could wait and demand the winner of RDA/Lawler but Wonderboy isn't getting another shot at Woodley coming off a single decision victory. The best he can hope for that Woodley fights Covington, loses then he can argue for another title shot. He's in that weird Joseph Benavidez position at the moment.

Wonderboy has to go on a long run or hope Woodley loses the belt, he's had two chances and even though one was an exciting draw, I doubt they want to do a third fight.

I think they are trying to rush Till along fast as they see him as a big potential star but Wonderboy has the right to say no, just as Woodley has the right to say he isn't fighting a guy he has fought twice and couldn't beat him. Lawler-RDA get the next shot, unless GSP wants it basically.

24 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

i understand the logic of saying you want to 'fight up' but there's only Woodley and Lawler above Wonderboy in the rankings. He could wait and demand the winner of RDA/Lawler but Wonderboy isn't getting another shot at Woodley coming off a single decision victory. The best he can hope for that Woodley fights Covington, loses then he can argue for another title shot. He's in that weird Joseph Benavidez position at the moment.

I'd honestly argue Wonderboy is in an even more awkward position than Benavidez at the moment. I don't think for a moment Benavidez could topple DJ if they fought again tomorrow. He's already lost twice so nobody would be interested in that fight because they've already seen him lose, and even seen him getting sparked out. Nobody would take much interest because why would they? They've seen him lose twice. With Thompson, I still think he could beat Woodley. If I recall correctly, I scored their rematch at 209 in his favour. It's nothing to do with his ability, it's just the fact that his last fight was so fucking dire, and left such a bad taste that nobody in their right mind could be happy forking out for that on PPV. It's nothing to do with the fact he can't beat Woodley, it's that nobody even wants to see him try again.

• Paid Members

yeh, it's a weird one because the first fight had it's moments, the sequel just killed the potential trilogy dead. The only way Wonderboy gets that fight is if he starts wrecking people over the course of the next year and Woodley manages to hang on to the belt.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Chunk said:

Broken arm. Is Cruz the most injury prone fighter in UFC history or what?

I believe he's challenging Cain in the P4P Most Injured Rankings.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah, Cain's injured and gone so much that you forget he even exists when the conversation of injury prone fighters comes up. 

Literally what happened for me.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

MMA Hour extra today was fantastic with in studio interviews with GSP & Paulo Costa, just finished if people want to check it out

not watched one of them yet, ill get on it.

• Paid Members

Ariel is so so good at these things. How is he still only just an mma journalist? I started to go off him a bit last week. When he was making his observations about Joanna's demeanour going into 217. It came across to me as if he was trying to cause problems and create a story. Turned out he was absolutely right. That's probably why Dana hates him. That fact that he is so often right on the money with his observations. How he manages to still have the relationship he has with the fighters. When Dana absolutely despises him, is admirable and a testament to his abilities as a journalist. A lot of his contemporaries come across as boring. Despite their immense knowledge. Ariel really is the king of mma journalism.

Archived