The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

Put this here because not a lot of people check the Bellator thread but they are doing a 8 man Heavyweight GP featuring most of their big stars at Heavyweight & Light Heavyweight

Fedor Emilianenko, Frank Mir, Roy Nelson, Matt Mitrione, Rampage Jackson, Ryan Bader (LHW Champ), King Mo & Chael Sonnen

Not the strongest guys but probably their biggest names

The card will be 7 nights spread over a year, so not like Pride GPs and the winner gets the Heavyweight Title.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Out of all the possible matchups there, the Pride fan in me wants to see Fedor vs Rampage the most. Fedor vs Chael wouldn't upset me either after all the shit Chael has talked. I can see Bader ending up winning the whole thing though. Fucking Bader. 

6 hours ago, the_mole said:

Put this here because not a lot of people check the Bellator thread but they are doing a 8 man Heavyweight GP featuring most of their big stars at Heavyweight & Light Heavyweight

Fedor Emilianenko, Frank Mir, Roy Nelson, Matt Mitrione, Rampage Jackson, Ryan Bader (LHW Champ), King Mo & Chael Sonnen

I am well up for this. There's potential for plenty of fun scenarios. 

Fedor vs Mir

Rampage vs Sonnen

Fedor vs Sonnen

Fedor vs Rampage

Mir vs Rampage

I would put the 4 less interesting fighters (Bader, Mo, Nelson, Meathead) in the same half. That way, the other 4 participants are guaranteed to cross paths. They could still do Mo vs Nelson in the less interesting half of the bracket; which would be a wacky and interesting match-up

• Paid Members

Fuck's sake. That's probably Anderson done then, right? Isn't this his second USADA suspension in the space of a few years? His legacy at this point is in worse shape than his shin was after Weidman. 

Borrachinha vs Gastelum wouldn't upset me now. Assuming Borrachinha didn't pick up any injuries while pummelling Fat Johny last weekend that is. Doesn't really scream main event but what can you do? 

Deary me. 

Even after the Weidman losses, he was generally considered to be the greatest MMA fighter ever. I personally disagreed with that perspective, but MMA media and a lot of fans were in his corner. He lost his aura as a fighter a while ago, now he's losing his reputation. The days of his triumphant returns to Brazil where he whacked Bonnar and Okami, the stunning "Like Water" documentary, and the 2nd win over Sonnen; suddenly seem like outdated news. 

• Paid Members

Haven't seen it posted but Darren Till and Gunnar Nelson have been going back and forth on twitter and basically agreed to fight each other. 

Bit of a funny one considering Till's coming off a huge win and Gunni just got stopped. But it doesn't seem like there's a queue of guys lining up to fight Till. Gunnar is willing and Till just wants to scrap with anyone. 

I think Till absolutely leathers him if the fight happens though. Gunnar's grappling could make it a really tricky test on paper but I think he'll have a big problem getting Till down and on the feet I can only see it going one way. 

I don't know how good his grappling is (he did say Maia would be the last WW he would want to fight because of how good he is at grappling), he seems really strong and should get back to his feet if given the chance like in the Cowboy fight but even if Till smashes him, I'm sure we will here about the huge size difference as Till could be a 205er one day and Gunner could probably cut to 155 if he needed too.

Archived