The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

I've happily admitted that I underestimated McGregor's fight IQ, and that I didn't see him implementing that gameplan that anyone who beats Nick or Nate has used.

did he though? i thought McGregor for the most part fought the kind of fight that favours a Diaz brother, he just got on his bike once he started getting tired. I might be wrong, i need to re-watch it.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Out of interest, how did your gambling work out?  I liked the reports before and after the events as to which bets you were putting on.

Ha! That's a blast from the past! I ended up stopping a while back because there were so many events and I had so little time, but I "retired" with a profit and a decent win/loss record!

58 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

did he though? i thought McGregor for the most part fought the kind of fight that favours a Diaz brother, he just got on his bike once he started getting tired. I might be wrong, i need to re-watch it.

You could be right Ebb, maybe he sort of stumbled into that gameplan more than anything else? Possibly.

A fighters heart stopped in a fight in LFA on live TV but was brought back to life, it was due to excessive weight cutting, it's a dangerous sport but their has been more deaths from weight cuts than actual fight damage, which is mental when you think about it.

The UFC should try it and hopefully Bellator and others follow and have more weight checks for fighters in fight camps, basically random like USADA, hydration tests and pre fight weight checks with penalties for being over a certain limit.

One Championship, basically do this and everybody just moved up a weight class, so it can work, you obviously might need to cut a few pounds as not everyone is the same but they can do that through dieting etc

I just don't want it happening to a big star on say Fox, that would damage the sport massively,  I don't want it happening to anybody but its happened a few times and nobody besides One and the CSAC have even proposed anything besides the morning weigh in.

• Paid Members

One changed everything because a fighter actually died during a weight cut on their watch.

The new weight divisions should solve some issues if they are brought in. Weight cutting in the sport is nuts though, if done correctly fighters gain huge advantages in fights so they continue to do it.

Made up. Manchester's not far but I'm 15 mins away from the Arena. Wonderboy is one fucking tough fight for Till though.

Egg Shen I thought Paddy was under contract with Cage Warriors ? I know UFC has bought out Brit contracts before but Paddy was supposed to be on decent cash over here. IE far more than the usual $8k show, $8k win money for Brit guys/girls the UFC pays.

5 hours ago, bono said:

Is the London show still happening then or is this an extra show?

Looks like the Till vs. Wonderboy card will be an official Fight Night card, filmed live for tv in the US. 

And the London card looks to be more of a house show card? That's how I'm seeing it anyway.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Egg Shen I thought Paddy was under contract with Cage Warriors ? I know UFC has bought out Brit contracts before but Paddy was supposed to be on decent cash over here. IE far more than the usual $8k show, $8k win money for Brit guys/girls the UFC pays.

he is but it doesnt take much for the UFC to poach those guys. Pimblett was said to be going anyway until he lost in Cage Warriors. He might not make the move but i though having him debut in Liverpool would be a no brainer.

I think the Liverpool was supposed to be on Fox, so they could do 1-3am easy as that's when the main cards start on Fox, the other London one will probably air on FS1 and probably feature Bisping and try and sell out the O2, so should be a good card but will air at normal times for us.

The new weight classes proposed will just cause more weight cuts, guys at 240 would try and make 220 and slightly smaller Welterweights would try and cut to 165.

Archived