The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

I don't think Ngannou vs Miocic will be a monster, but I do think it will generate a bit more interest than usual. That video of Ngannou setting the world record for punching power did generate a bit of buzz on social media from what I could tell. It's the sort of thing that gets people interested. 

Even if Ngannou is everything people hope him to be, it'll still take time for him to catch on. It wasn't like McGregor debuted in the UFC and became a superstar overnight. He created a lot of buzz, much like Ngannou has, but he wasn't 10% of the name he was today. 

Edit: I can't wait for Miocic vs Ngannou btw. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah, and even then, by McGregor's second fight against Holloway he was creating a fair bit of interest. I remember he completely stole the pre-fight press conference, and the media were all over him. And that was on a card which featured Chael, Shogun, Overeem and Faber. Ngannou's a good 4-5 fights into his UFC career and he's just now really catching on but it's nothing like the buzz McGregor was creating when he first burst through the UFC doors. Or for that matter Rousey or Lesnar or GSP. 

I really hope Ngannou becomes a huge star. People love a heavyweight and he's a likeable lump. In that sense he reminds me a bit of an MMA Anthony Joshua. But Rogan loves to overdo the hyperbole to the point it's getting silly now. Remember how cringeworthy he was when the Rousey hype was at its peak? Fucking crying in front of her on his podcast and all sorts. He fled that fan club quick after she got KO'd by Holly Holm. Then more recently he completely drank the Kool Aid and seemed to believe Conor McGregor was going to turn Mayweather into dust the second his left hand touched him. He was riding the 'Kevin Lee is the next huge MMA star' bandwagon hard as well before the Ferguson fight. Then Fergie beats him and he quickly drops that. I know it sounds like I'm just shitting on Schaub again but Schaub's the same and Rogan's got noticably worse for it since they became BFF's. They just latch onto whatever the latest thing is and milk the hyperbole to the point of ridiculousness. The blinkers come on and there's no balance whatsoever. Francis Ngannou is a 100% invincible machine now. Until he loses and then Rogan will do what he always does and tell everyone why he was never that good to begin with because cardio/too much muscle/leg kicks/believing his own hype/shit coaches etc etc pick a reason, any reason. 

Schaub is the worst. He has no points of view around Rogan. He just agrees with everything he says. I can remember one daft exchange between the pair on Rogans podcast which went like - 

Schaub "That guy sucks"

Rogan "No he is really good"

Schaub "Yeah your right. He is really good".

I can remember the two high as kites discussing Floyd/Conor. Rogan is going "Floyd is a multiple weight class, unbeaten, champion boxer but I dunno.. Conor has that magic. When he fights its just.... magic". "Yeah Joe its like magic". That was how Conor was going to win, fucking magic. I like Rogan but sometimes he just sounds like a stoner talking complete bollocks. Schaub is just a goof. I don't even want to start with Eddie Bravo.

One of Brock's fights were probably "the biggest" but even Fedor-Cro-Cop was only really big in 2 countries, Japan & maybe South Korea & Croatia.

MMA has gotten much larger globally, despite having most fighters being Brazilian, nobody cared at that point, Fedor had yet to catch on in Russia and the UFC still hadn't tried their global expansion. Arlovski-Justin Euler's probably did 4 times the buy rate in North America and that PPV wasn't very good, the UFC, not MMA was starting to get a name on Spike TV.

If you had a start date on Sherdog from 2005, you got harassed as being a Tuffer just like a band becomes famous and you turn on it, it was pretty pathetic really.

• Paid Members

"GSP will fight Whittaker next. He has a clause to face has a clause to face Whittaker".

Again, shows UFC contracts and agreements aren't worth giving a care. FYI, GSP is suffering from colitis, which harms the colon. All to do with packing on all that weight, apparently. If you watched his in-studio MMA Hour visit you'll have got a glimpse into the struggle he faced packing on muscle.

Anyway, best news for us, IMO. No one on here wanted GSP v Whittaker and, if GSP gets healthy, it sets up Conor or Tyron next.

• Paid Members

Whilst I don't think the Stipe/Ngannou fight isn't necessarily the biggest heavyweight fight in history, I do think it could be the most important for the division. 

If Stipe wins, he becomes a star. If Ngannou wins, he could go on to become something bigger. 

The division for a while has been stagnant, and part of that has been the Cain factor. He's been injured for so long it left a cloud over the division. Now we have a fight that is leaving fans chomping at the bit and it could propel the heavyweight division back into the big time.

In regards to GSP, whilst the history books will say he's a 2 weight champ, to me it's meaning less. He never had any intention of defending it against the elite of the middleweight division and pretty sums up what everyone was thinking when the fight was initially announced.

• Paid Members

*I honestly couldn't give a care if only seven folk buy the show because they're fighting. Not since Cain v JDS 2 have I been this excited for a HW clash. It's the best of his era v the next big thing - it's a classic a fight scenario as you'll find.

If Stipe manages to batter Ngannou then you're being proper bugger not counting him in that Fedor/Cain/Werdum debate for GOAT.

*jeff_wagenheim_400x400.png

• Paid Members

Yeah. I don't give a shite what it does on PPV either. If you're deep into that then you're basically doing the Al Snow thing of confusing what draws with what's good. While there's some correlation and overlap, they're not one and the same. I'm sure Al watches wrestling matches now and thinks 'did I enjoy that match? I'll wait for the buyrate to come in...Oh, only that many buys. It was shit then'. What a miserable way to watch any form of entertainment. Same way some MMA fans seem so fixated on buyrates and what money a fight makes that it must take a lot of the fun out of why they started watching in the first place. It's one thing having an interest in that stuff, but who gives a massive fuck really? 

But yeah, I really want to see Miocic vs Ngannou. Rogan saying it's the biggest ever is laughable though. It could turn out, like lamby says, to be a pivotal fight that takes heavyweight to a new high. I hope that's the case. But that'll be down the line and that's a different thing to what Rogan was saying. 

16 hours ago, the_mole said:

.If you had a start date on Sherdog from 2005, you got harassed as being a Tuffer just like a band becomes famous and you turn on it, it was pretty pathetic really.

"This card is shit, look at all the Tuffers on it". That phase did eventually die out. It was stupid even at the time. Most of the cast of TUF 1 were worthy of their spot on the UFC's roster. 

Anyway, I already rank Werdum and Miocic about even overall. Miocic has a win over a prime version of Overeem, beat Werdum head to head, massacred Hunt, and stopped a fading - but live - version of JDS. The only real blotch on his resume was a loss to Struve (which I was in attendance for). His close loss against JDS was quite impressive at the time. 

Werdum's best win is over Cain. He also holds wins over the best versions of Browne and Hunt. His win over Fedor was impressive as well, even if Fedor was at least 2 years past his best. One of his best wins - which gets forgotten about - was over Fedor's troubled brother (Aleks) in Holland in 2006. Aleks had stopped Kharitonov in Pride just two months prior. However, Big Nog was way past his best when Werdum subbed him. Also, Overeem was nowhere near the force he would become when Werdum subbed him in Pride.

Werdum has had some stinkers as well. No one knew that JDS was such a force when Werdum meet him in 2008 (although Dana did show footage of JDS hitting a punching bag during fight week, which suggested he had might be a handy boxer). Still, Werdum took him lightly, and showed up with a right gut on him at the weigh-in. His performances against Overeem (2nd fight) and Arlovski didn't set the world alight either. It took him a long while to develop his striking game. 

Overall, I struggle to separate them. For now, Werdum maybe edges it based on longevity. 

• Paid Members

the longevity thing is possibly what pips it for Werdum. Crazy how longs hes been at the top or there abouts. The thing that lets him down is the inconsistency, he's never lost to anyone other than a top heavyweight, but the losses have usually felt like he lost because he did something stupid (Miocic) or came in somewhat out of shape.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

It could turn out, like lamby says, to be a pivotal fight that takes heavyweight to a new high. I hope that's the case. But that'll be down the line and that's a different thing to what Rogan was saying. 

The other thing to note as well, is that you could argue with the talent the two fighters have, it's almost taking heavyweight to new heights. 2 guys who are explosive but are both ridiculously athletic as well. 

It's almost like DC vs Jones in a way. You have 2 guys here who are just ridiculously good compared to what came before them (and that's not a knock on past heavyweights, more the evolution of the sport), and could propel heavyweight MMA to a new level.

In a way, given the importance of the fight, along with the calibre of the opponents, there is an argument to make that it could be the biggest when it comes to what it could do for the future of the division. It's definitely not the biggest in terms of what buys it will generate, but it ticks an awful lot of boxes that many of the previous so called biggest heavyweight fights didn't, 

• Paid Members

Manny Pacquiao reportedly in talks to fight Conor McGregor next year.

The speed with which Conor McGregor has jumped the shark is absolutely fascinating.

Even if this is just a way to negotiate himself a better deal with the UFC, which is the most likely scenario, I’m completely over it all this point. 

I have zero interest in Conor fighting Manny. 

I could list numerous reasons. The build-up would be poor, there's no intrigue to the actual fight, it would be a cheap money-grab, and of course it would keep McGregor away from Octagon for even longer. Luckily, I don't think it will happen. According to SKY, Pacquiao is talking to numerous parties, not just Conor. Plus, as Supremo said on the previous page, it's likely McGregor is using the talks to strengthen his bargaining power anyway.  

At this point, I would like the UFC to push forward with Ferguson vs Khabib for the Official Lightweight Championship (provided Khabib beats Barboza later this month). It's not quite McGregor vs Ferguson, but it's still an enthralling match-up and it would take the division out of interim title limbo. If McGregor is mostly arsed about the cash at this point, then the GSP fight makes the most sense for both parties. Ferguson or whoever would still be waiting for McGregor after he's done with GSP anyway, so it's not like that fight would be lost forever. 

Archived