The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/21/2017 at 5:21 PM, OzExile said:

Saw a Tweet earlier saying they the UFC are working on Thug Rose vs Tecia Torres at UFC 221.  That's four title fights in consecutive PPVs if true! 

Would be happy with this. They mentioned at the initial UFC 221 press conference that they were hoping to put two title fights on the Perth card, and I felt it would be likely to be a women's division. I'd be happy to see Thug Rose. Not so enamoured with Torres, I don't like her style that much, but there's no doubt she's a deserving contender.

(I was quietly hoping we'd get Thug Rose vs. Joanna II, but I understand they might not want to go there for a couple of fights)

• Paid Members

According to mmafighting.com, Tecia Torres vs Jessica Andrade has been booked for UFC On Fox 28, February, in Orlando. I'm assuming this means JJ vs Rose II is getting automatically re-matched now. 

• Paid Members

Got to be. 

Andrade was supposed to be fighting Karolina Kowalkiewicz, if I'm remembering right. Kowalkiewicz must be injured and it's forced this shuffle. 

I like this better though. Bad break for Torres because I think Andrade fucks her up. But I'm well up for Rose vs Joanna 2 if that's the direction we're heading in. Can't think what else they could be planning really. No-one else jumps out as an obvious contender for Rose, do they? Gadelha is coming off a loss. Andrade and Torres are fighting each other. Got to be Joanna. 

Edit - actually, they could be going with Namajunas vs Kowalkiewicz 2 for the title. Kowalkiewicz did beat her last year. And the article on MMAFighting didn't say if Kowalkiewicz was injured or not. 

• Paid Members

It could be Kowalkiewicz as right, as that could possibly open up more options at the top of the division should she beat Rose. If Rose retains then she still has the winner of Torres/Andrade and JJ to get to after that point. 

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/12/26/16819944/donald-cerrone-vs-yancy-medeiros-slated-to-headline-ufc-austin

Cerrone vs Medeiros as the Fight Night headliner in Austin. I like that match making. Well matched for an exciting fight, winnable for Cerrone to get him out of his slump but he'd also be a huge scalp for Yancy, should he be able to get the W. 

• Paid Members

Yancy's earned a big fight like that. He's had a good 2017. Stopped Erick Silva in Brazil then beat Alex Oliveira in that crazy fight at 218. 

I'd favour Cowboy but it's nice to see Yancy getting some spotlight. He's usually always in entertaining fights. 

• Paid Members

Didn't see that coming. I associate Smith with Bellator so much it'd be weird seeing him somewhere else. But, assuming he still wants to commentate and isn't leaving to do something different, the UFC would be mad not to sign him up.

I know he was the colour guy in Bellator but I wonder what he'd be like doing play-by-play. I like Anik but he can't be everywhere can he? With the amount of shows the UFC do now they really could do with another quality PBP commentator. They're spoilt for choice with colour guys between Rogan, Cormier, Cruz, Hardy etc. But they've only got Anik, Gooden and Grisham for PBP. And Grisham's shite.

I'd love to see a team of Smith doing PBP and Cormier on colour. 

21 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Didn't see that coming. I associate Smith with Bellator so much it'd be weird seeing him somewhere else. But, assuming he still wants to commentate and isn't leaving to do something different, the UFC would be mad not to sign him up.

I know he was the colour guy in Bellator but I wonder what he'd be like doing play-by-play. I like Anik but he can't be everywhere can he? With the amount of shows the UFC do now they really could do with another quality PBP commentator. They're spoilt for choice with colour guys between Rogan, Cormier, Cruz, Hardy etc. But they've only got Anik, Gooden and Grisham for PBP. And Grisham's shite.

I'd love to see a team of Smith doing PBP and Cormier on colour. 

I see them sticking to a 3 man team during their big events, Rogan only does North American PPVs & they have at least one in Australia booked and will probably do the annual Brazil PPV, Jimmy can work with Anik on these & Fox fights. I see both Jimmy Smith & Joe Rogan both as analysts, they need a play by play guy and then maybe a fighter to add more to the broadcast like Cruz & Cormier for big cards.

They have used two new PBP guys recently, one was from the NFL Network ( I think he worked with Paul Felder)  & the other a major Sport commentator over there and they both were better than Todd Grisham. 

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Is Grisham gone?

Not heard anything, he may transition into a interviewer or something like Megan Olivi,  he would be better suited doing that. 

Think he does Fight Pass shows for other companies, so does Sean Wheelock, Jimmy Smith's original Bellator partner.

I hope Bellator don't team Mauro & Goldberg together that would be brutal and keep Frank Shamrock away as well.  I could live with Frank Mir, Chael Sonnen or even Randy Couture as analysts working with the PBP guys.

• Paid Members

Yeah I can't see them putting Mauro and Goldy together. Both usually do play-by-play and I think they're both too similar you need some personality or, well yeah 'colour' in there. Sonnen or Mir would be my pick as well. Or even King Mo. I liked Mo's work for Invicta. 

Archived