The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

The one thing I remember about that Weidman/Rockhold fight is that after the fight it came out that Rockhold had been battling a staph infection in the 2 weeks in the build up to it. 

As a consequence he been on antibiotics for a large time which had a big impact on his gas tank. Not that Weidman didn't have issues, but it explains why Rockhold wasn't quite right in that fight despite the win. 

Personally, if a fully focused Rockhold turns up, he wrecks everyone in the middleweight division.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Max vs Edgar is official for UFC 222 on March 3rd

Therefore, in less than a 2 month period we will hopefully get to see: Ngannou vs Miocic, Whittaker vs Rockhold and Max vs Edgar. It's safe to say that MMA fans will be spoilt if all three of those fights go ahead as planned.

Fingers crossed they can figure something out with Khabib/McGregor/Ferguson for April time. Dana wants to make Khabib vs Ferguson by the sounds of things. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

Max vs Edgar is official for UFC 222 on March 3rd

Therefore, in less than a 2 month period we will hopefully get to see: Ngannou vs Miocic, Whittaker vs Rockhold and Max vs Edgar. It's safe to say that MMA fans will be spoilt if all three of those fights go ahead as planned.

Fingers crossed they can figure something out with Khabib/McGregor/Ferguson for April time. Dana wants to make Khabib vs Ferguson by the sounds of things. 

I saw on social media that they were aiming for March for McGregor/Ferguson & if Conor didn't agree then they were just going to strip him. Don't know how true it is (I didn't click on the story) but tbh I usually wait until I see stuff on here as there's tonnes of clickbait shite regarding MMA & especially McGregor.

Insane run of fights though, I like Holloway but am really hoping Edgar takes this. Edgar is one of the greats, a class act & always awesome to watch.

Dana has said that they are considering stripping Conor if he isn't committed to fighting by March. By the sound of things, they could possibly do Khabib vs Tony in March, just as McGregor agrees to return. Then have a quick turnaround and have Conor fight the winner. 

From Forbes:

“I don’t think he (McGregor) wants to fight until August, but if he waits until August or September, that’s around two years since the belt has been defended and that can’t happen,” said White.

White wants McGregor back in the first quarter of 2018, and if that doesn’t happen, it sounds like the UFC might just consider stripping him of the title.

“As long as Conor is willing to fight by March, we could do Khabib versus Tony and then the winner fights Conor for the title,” said White. “Or, if Conor wants to sit out until next fall, then we’d have to make Khabib versus Tony for the title, not the interim title.”

I could stomach that. as I really want to see Khabib vs Tony; but I am a bit fed up with interim titles.  McGregor is back in training, but his status is very much in the air if Kavanagh's words are anything to go by. So yeah, fuck knows. 

• Paid Members

McGregor's already turning heel with a lot of people with his recent behaviour, but he risks turning people right off him if he doesn't stop poncing about. To paraphrase Malcolm Tucker: either get the fuck in the cage, or fuck the fuck off.

7 hours ago, OzExile said:

1 - What did Kavanagh say about Conor returning? 

This:

The latter quote infers that McGregor has not dismissed another boxing bout, or at the least that McGregor has not made his intentions clear on what he is going to do. 

- "It’s kind of early days yet, we’re just watching how that has developed while he’s been away, he’s had other things on."

-My opinion, I’ll be pushing very hard for MMA. The boxing was a nice detour from what we’ve done, but mixed martial arts is my passion. If I have anything to do with it, he’ll be in the octagon this year.”

Anyway:

9 hours ago, Carbomb said:

McGregor's already turning heel with a lot of people with his recent behaviour, but he risks turning people right off him if he doesn't stop poncing about. To paraphrase Malcolm Tucker: either get the fuck in the cage, or fuck the fuck off.

I'm still a McGregor fan, despite his considerable shortcomings. He's never been a saint or anything, even when he first burst onto the scene and slowly stole my heart (I wasn't much of a fan at first). Even if he isn't your cup of tea as a person, I think most would admit that he's a cracking fighter to watch. I actually think his resume and skills get a bit overlooked by some fans; and a case could be made that he's in the top 10-15 fighters of all-time already (he's no higher than 9th in my view, but no lower than 13th). However, 2017 wasn't the best year for him in my eyes. I love a good spectacle, but I didn't get into the whole Mayweather circus like I thought I would. I'm no prude, but I found a lot of the build-up unpleasant.

A few people on here complained about them bragging about who made the most money. I can understand that, as I didn't care for it myself. However, for me, it was mainly that the "trash talk" was hard on the ears. How many times can a man call another man a "bitch" before it becomes repetitive and difficult to listen to? Granted, the stuff with Floyd Snr was fun, but that was only a small part of the entire circus. The whole thing just felt a bit cheap. The fight itself interested me, but in a sort of Kimbo Slice way, not in a Jones vs Cormier 2 way. I couldn't suspend my disbelief enough to entertain Conor winning. The whole thing - and other incidents afterwards - left a bit of a sour taste.

I hope he has a better 2018. Although, as I stated above, MMA is ticking along nicely without him. He's the cherry on top of the cake, not the entire cake. 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

Dana has said that they are considering stripping Conor if he isn't committed to fighting by March. By the sound of things, they could possibly do Khabib vs Tony in March, just as McGregor agrees to return. Then have a quick turnaround and have Conor fight the winner. 

From Forbes:

I could stomach that. as I really want to see Khabib vs Tony; but I am a bit fed up with interim titles.  McGregor is back in training, but his status is very much in the air if Kavanagh's words are anything to go by. So yeah, fuck knows. 

Can't disagree with any of that. TBH I think a lot of UFC fans are getting sick of the interim title situation & the stalling from McGregor. The reaction from his 'Beg me' & 'I'm making Diddy bread' comments were very different than I expected & in stark contrast from where he was pre-Mayweather. I think many simply just want to see him defend a belt. The fact that there's a lot of goodwill behind both Ferguson & Khabib now has changed peoples perspective a bit too. For the UFC it's no longer Conor or bust, they can let the division move on & if he comes back that's cool & if he doesn't & just wants to sell whisky or whatever that's fine too. He's not going to be able to fight anywhere else without their permission so crack on!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

I'm still a McGregor fan, despite his considerable shortcomings. He's never been a saint or anything, even when he first burst onto the scene and slowly stole my heart (I wasn't much of a fan at first). Even if he isn't your cup of tea as a person, I think most would admit that he's a cracking fighter to watch. I actually think his resume and skills get a bit overlooked by some fans; and a case could be made that he's in the top 10-15 fighters of all-time already (he's no higher than 9th in my view, but no lower than 13th). However, 2017 wasn't the best year for him in my eyes. I love a good spectacle, but I didn't get into the whole Mayweather circus like I thought I would. I'm no prude, but I found a lot of the build-up unpleasant.

A few people on here complained about them bragging about who made the most money. I can understand that, as I didn't care for it myself. However, for me, it was mainly that the "trash talk" was hard on the ears. How many times can a man call another man a "bitch" before it becomes repetitive and difficult to listen to? Granted, the stuff with Floyd Snr was fun, but that was only a small part of the entire circus. The whole thing just felt a bit cheap. The fight itself interested me, but in a sort of Kimbo Slice way, not in a Jones vs Cormier 2 way. I couldn't suspend my disbelief enough to entertain Conor winning. The whole thing - and other incidents afterwards - left a bit of a sour taste.

I hope he has a better 2018. Although, as I stated above, MMA is ticking along nicely without him. He's the cherry on top of the cake, not the entire cake. 

Oh, I know he's no saint - I was a fan of him too, even when he was banging on about money all the time (although the homophobic and racist stuff did put me off a bit). I was a fan till just a month or so after the Mayweather fight, when he started pissing about, basically. That's all I want from the guy at this point: just fucking fight. I don't care about the trash talk any more, it's all old and tired now. I don't care about the freakshow matches or the negotiations for bigger deals. Either shit or get off the pot, it's that simple. Don't waste our time with banalities.

Archived