The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

For what it’s worth, I have no problem with Whittaker, I just have an investment in Romero. I care about his fights on a level beyond ‘that should be a good fight’.

I was perfectly happy to watch Whittaker/Rockhold scrap. It would have been a good fight, but I wouldn’t really care who wins/loses. Now the big Cuban nutter is involved, though, I’m genuinely invested in the result.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

I get that he's not the most charismatic, funniest, wittiest or whatever but is personality the be all/end all for why people watch these days? Cain's personality was dull as fuck but you never got people saying he was boring because he smashed people. Chuck Liddell wasn't exactly a soundbite guy either was he? Or Couture really. Whittaker did something genuinely great in 2017 slaying the two scariest beasts of the division. Yet you'd think he was Fitching it up. 

I agree with your overall point. I don't have an issue with Whittaker either. I enjoy watching him fight. 

Chuck, Cain and Couture's lack of charisma could be overlooked for several reasons. The Light-Heavyweight division was the crown jewel of the UFC throughout the mid-00's, which thrust Chuck into the spotlight. Liddell also had Ortiz to play off, which heightened his popularity. He also had a unique look, with the blue trunks, mohawk, etc. His fighting style was a casual fans dream as well. 

Couture was also in the UFC marquee division for most of his run. He also had a tremendous backstory, with him being in his late 30's and early 40's, yet still able to net unlikely victories. It was a great story, and one that commands naturally more attention than Whittaker's. Cain was/is a Heavyweight, and probably the most imposing Heavyweight in MMA's short history. Any charisma that he lacked could therefore be overlooked. He appealed because he was a monster. 

Whittaker lacks a great story, the spotlight, and the other variables mentioned - none of which are his fault of course. It's also a different time. The UFC was more effective at promoting their fighters in the previous era for numerous reasons. If Whittaker was rubbing shoulders with GSP, McGregor and Jones on a daily basis, he would be a much bigger name. Yoel is a monster and a great character, but he wasn't the name that say Ortiz was in 2004 - if you catch my drift. None of this has any bearing on how great he is as a fighter - he's exceptionally good. 

Oh, and I am well up for Rockhold vs Yoel. It should be a lot of fun. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Chuffed for Yoel. Although I've got a feeling he loses this one :( 

I honestly don't get people's problem with Whittaker though. The man schools Jacare and beats Romero and people act like he's boring. Hardly Jared Rosholt, is he? I get that he's not the most charismatic, funniest, wittiest or whatever but is personality the be all/end all for why people watch these days? Cain's personality was dull as fuck but you never got people saying he was boring because he smashed people. Chuck Liddell wasn't exactly a soundbite guy either was he? Or Couture really. Whittaker did something genuinely great in 2017 slaying the two scariest beasts of the division. Yet you'd think he was Fitching it up. 

I did :D. There was only so many times the UFC can play up his old man stacking hay, as an interesting personality trait, before you realise someone is proper dull. Thankfully, Cain being maybe the GOAT and a HW forced you to tune in for a fight - Whittaker doesn't have those X factors.

Whittaker is a good fighter, but how can we all in good conscience defend a man that not only has tit stars, but now willingly (and I suspect gleefully) ruins Shane O's UFC trips. Let's not be so uncouth, gents. Think of Shane O and think of the tit stars.

Anyway, Rockhold v Romero & Ray The Translator is far more interesting.  I can get on board with either winning.

• Paid Members

@d-d-d-dAz Yeah, I definitely hear all that. I'm a way bigger fan of Yoel than I am of Whittaker. I've made no secret that Yoel's my favourite middleweight. I've been on that bandwagon since around the time of the Kennedy fight. If you're invested in a fighter that always helps and adds to the enjoyment. But I've seen a few times on here people calling Whittaker boring and stuff like that. And he's just not, unless people are solely on about his personality, because in the cage he's anything but boring. 

@ColinBollocks I'll give you that. The tit stars are unforgivable. 

Very good Colin :D

Edit:

Bisping vs Belfort might happen in London after all:

The 40-year-old Belfort last appeared at UFC 212 on June 3, when he captured a unanimous verdict against the recently retired Nate Marquardt. The former champion’s next move is currently unknown, but he could be targeting a rematch against another big name.

“What I’m hearing is he wants to fight Michael Bisping in London,” White said. “When I get back to Vegas and get back in the office, I will obviously talk to Vitor and I’ll talk to Mike. We’ll see what happens.”

UFC Fight Night 127 is slated for the O2 Arena in London on March 17. The card currently does not have a headliner, but Bisping has mentioned that he would like his own farewell fight to take place then.

• Paid Members

Bisping/Belfort is a perect send off for both guys. Vitor's credibility has taken hits over the years but hes a bonafide Hall of Famer, as is Bisping. Has to happen, especially given the history.

Archived