The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Maia's on the way down for me, i wouldn't wanna risk Wonderboy's climb back up by sticking him in with Maia, he's a banana peel you wanna keep people away from in my opinion. If Usman beats Meek this week that's the fight i'd make for Maia.

I'd go (if RDA waits):

Wonderboy/Till.

Covington/Magny (cause there's not a lot of options left).

Ponzinibbio/Masvidal.

If RDA doesn't wait though, Wonderyboy/RDA, Till/Covington.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

yeh, that's how the logic usually goes but there has to be occasions when that can't happen. Masvidal/Ponzinibbio being a great example, i think Masvidal has established himself as a PPV fighter now, he's still ranked highly and is coming off a competitive loss, Ponzinibbio isn't on that PPV level yet but he's on a good run and i think a fight with Masvidal gives him that 'rub' fighters get when they fight the more established names. Good stylistic fight too.

Romero vs. Rockhold will be an excellent fight, no doubt, but Whittaker's my favourite fighter and the reason I spent $2000 to travel to Perth was to see him solidify his spot as Australia's first UFC champion. Devastated doesn't begin to cover it. I know people here won't understand this, but picture Bisping getting taken out of the Hendo rematch or something.

• Paid Members

Chuffed for Yoel. Although I've got a feeling he loses this one :( 

I honestly don't get people's problem with Whittaker though. The man schools Jacare and beats Romero and people act like he's boring. Hardly Jared Rosholt, is he? I get that he's not the most charismatic, funniest, wittiest or whatever but is personality the be all/end all for why people watch these days? Cain's personality was dull as fuck but you never got people saying he was boring because he smashed people. Chuck Liddell wasn't exactly a soundbite guy either was he? Or Couture really. Whittaker did something genuinely great in 2017 slaying the two scariest beasts of the division. Yet you'd think he was Fitching it up. 

Nailed it, Wand.

Once the disappointment of losing Whittaker wears off, I can get excited about Romero vs. Rockhold, which should be wild. Silver lining, depending on the severity of Rob's injury he could face the winner in Sydney later in the year. Rooting for Rockhold purely because I was excited stylistically for Whittaker/Rockhold, and we've seen Romero vs. Whittaker. But I'd also like to see how Romero vs. Whittaker would have played out without Rob's Round 1 leg injury. So, really no bad outcome with this replacement fight.

• Paid Members

I really, really, fucking really hope Yoel smashes Rockhold into powder. 

This is probably good news for David Branch though. Coming off that loss to Rockhold I thought it was a bit rough giving him Yoel Romero for his next fight. At least now he can maybe take a slightly easier fight to get himself back on track before diving back in there with the sharks again. 

Archived