The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really hope Manuwa v Blachowicz isn't the main event. It is extremely underwhelming that they are even running that fight back.

If they can't get Bisping to headline then surely they need to do everything get Till a main event fight. Just makes a world of sense. Although hoping both make it on the card. Will certainly beef it up a bit.

• Paid Members

Till vs Wonderboy would be great and definitely worth the trip for me. It's got to be Till headlining IMO. Ideally against Wonderboy but if they can't get him then maybe Ponzinibbio or someone else. It's about time Till fought in England. 

• Paid Members

Definitely. I wouldn't complain at Till vs Perry but given recent results I think it makes more sense doing Till vs Wonderboy or Ponzinibbio and Perry vs Lawler. 

Just seen that Mackenzie Dern is making her UFC debut at UFC 222 in March. She's 24, a BJJ black-belt and BJJ world champ and ADCC champ, 5-0 in MMA with 3 subs and she's stunning;

image.jpg

image.jpg

She could be the next big star for women's MMA if she keeps winning. But she's coming in at strawweight and she's already missed weight twice at 115. 

Oh and UFC 221 which is the show in Perth is looking like this now; 

PPV MAIN CARD

Robert Whittaker vs Luke Rockhold - Middleweight Title

Mark Hunt vs Curtis Blaydes 

Tai Tuivasa vs Cyril Asker

Jake Matthews vs Li Jingliang 

Tyson Pedro vs Saparbek Safarov

FOX SPORTS 1 PRELIMS

Damien Brown vs Dong Hyun Kim

Rob Wilkinson vs Israel Adesanya

Alexander Volkanovski vs Jeremy Kennedy 

Jussier Formiga vs Ben Nguyen

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS

Ross Pearson vs Mizuto Hirota

Teruto Ishihara vs Jose Alberto Quinonez

Luke Jumeau vs Daichi Abe

I actually like that card but it does look like a Fight Night with Whittaker vs Rockhold slapped on top. Curtis Blaydes in a PPV co-main event? 

Yeah, I'm a bit annoyed with it. It's PPV, and it's a new region. When UFC did Melbourne for the first time, it was Rousey vs. Holm, Joanna vs. Letourneau, Hunt vs. Bigfoot II, and Whittaker vs. Uriah Hall, with a solid undercard. In other words, UFC put in effort and stacked the card, and it set the record UFC attendance.

Perth's the other side of the country to me, and I decided to treat my uncle, who's a big UFC fan, to a trip over there, paid for his ticket, flights and accommodation. Combined 40th/Xmas present. Mid-level tickets were $300, and floor seats were $500. Went mid-level and have spent about $2000 in total. To spend that much and basically have Nov's Sydney Fight Night, with Whittaker vs. Rockhlod on top as you said, got me a bit pissed off. For a PPV, I always feel there should be a few ranked fighters at least. And the original presser was talking about having two title fights. Cyborg was pushing to face Megan Anderson, even putting a photoshopped UFC 221 poster on her Insta. Anderson shot that idea down though.

It should be a great card action wise though. Particularly looking forward to the UFC debut of Israel Adesanya. Dude is a killer, and most recently put Melvin Guillard out, and head kicked a guy into oblivion which went a bit viral.

• Paid Members

Just promise us you'll pull out this time, wand.

Anyway, as much as I (rightly) shit on Whittaker for being boring, that's a decent scrap between Rockhold and Whittaker. Watch Handsome Luke get battered and Whittaker to do a gormless grin as he says "yeah, I don't know, mate. Yea, it's nice having the belt. Yeah, I don't bother about my next opponent, mate. Yeah".

If Whittaker manages to beat Rockhold, then he should shoot near to the very top of the P4P rankings. I consider Rockhold to be the most complete Middleweight on the roster, and the best Middleweight overall. When you add in Whittaker's wins over Jacare and Romero, then it is impossible to overlook Whittaker. Those three wins would compare well with Anderson's best wins at 185lbs. 

Sadly for Whittaker, I think Rockhold beats him. Once Rockhold gets a hold of an opponent, it's usually downhill for them. The Weidman fight is the best example of that. Whittaker has a real chance though. If there is a flaw in Rockhold's game it is his tendency to get clipped. Bisping and Belfort stopped him, and Branch had him in a bit of trouble early on. Therefore, I see no reason why Whittaker could not possibly do the same; although the odds are that he won't.

• Paid Members

I have no idea who gets the win. I see both men as very dangerous and capable of finishing the other. It's worth remembering how excellent Whittaker's TK defence was against Romero, while he had one good knee. Granted, Rockhold is a massive MW, but if Whittaker can be that good at nullifying the Olympic-level wrestling of Romero you fancy he'll do well against Rockhold.

Fair point Colin. 

I think Rockhold is a threat for the full 5 rounds though. Remember, it was in round 3 where Rockhold found the opening against Weidman, which led to him polishing him off in the 4th round. In contrast, Romero doesn't have the best gas tank. It may not happen in the opening few rounds, but sooner or later I just feel that Rockhold is going to get the fight to the mat. From there, it will probably be downhill for Whittaker. 

• Paid Members

I don't know if I'd count the Weidman match as a reference for Rockhold's gas-tank, though. I daresay you're right, but that opening Weidman gave him was just so mind-boggling and inexplicable, it felt like a freak occurrence that wouldn't necessarily happen again. I do think that Rockhold beats Weidman seven or eight times out of ten, possibly nine, but that opening he took advantage of was so bizarre, I don't think it gives us anywhere near an accurate picture of when and how Rockhold would beat Weidman "normally", if you get my meaning.

• Paid Members

Rockhold is AKA, so he's got no choice but to have a good gas tank (and bad knees/back). I'd be surprised if Whittaker couldn't keep pace, though. He's never shown much weakness with his cardio, recently (IIRC).

Whittaker is a nightmare for any MW because he's very well rounded. I think someone on here called him a better version of what Bisping is, in the cage, which isn't far off.

Archived