The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
  • Paid Members

I don't really get the Till vs Gunnar thing. I've seen it brought up a few times but Gunnar is coming off a loss and Till's on the ascension and should really be in a contender fight next. Till just crushed Cerrone, I like Gunnar but I don't feel like he's a step up from that and that's what Till should be getting. 

The Wonderboy fight makes the most sense if they can make it. If they can't then maybe Ponzinibbio or Covington or something. Someone that moves him closer to the title shot. A win over Gunnar would be good, but I'm not sure it advances him along that much. 

Whatever though. As long as he stays active. If Gunnar is the only fight they can sort I'm up for it. Just think there's fights that make more sense. 

I'd like to see Nelson vs Till but he'll do well to get that fight. He's coming off a first round defeat to someone I'd rank probably below Till at the moment whereas Till is coming off the biggest win of his career. The Wonderboy fight seems to have gone a bit quiet as of late which is a shame. Hopefully Covington gets the itch to hop inside the octagon soon so that he can get his shit kicked in.

• Paid Members

i don't think there's anything of it rather than Gunni calling for it. You can't blame him, he's looking to bounce back and if they are a struggling for fights for the London card the UFC might go for it.

22 minutes ago, OzExile said:

I'd like to see it.  I'm not writing off Gunnar either.  But a win for Till over Nelson to me - is a bigger scalp than Mike Perry. 

If not Till though - who the fuck next for Wonderboy? 

Depends on the outcome of RDA/Woodley I'd presume. If RDA wins I could see them throwing Wonderboy in with him, a fresh fight which on paper sounds as though it could be a barnburner. If Woodley wins though then maybe Covington in a title eliminator. Even then, I can't see any desire from the UFC to run Woodley/Wonderboy III after the dump that was their last fight. If they have no other options for the title shot, I couldn't see them sticking it on as a main event for any PPV. Maybe the headliner of a FOX show or as a co-main event, but there's fuck all chance anyone is going to be enthusiastically buying that as a PPV main.

It takes two to tangle, they can't make anyone fight but Wonderboy only gets a win against a non top 5 opponent, he has nothing to gain from this, I want the fight, Till wants the fight and I'm sire the UFC do as well but he gains nothing from this and he would be fighting in his opponents own country.

I doubt he's scared of anyone at 170 but I would be looking for more money to do this, sure he's not getting a title shot but he can keep his name up there, if Woodley eventually loses the belt.

3 hours ago, AdamTH17 said:

Depends on the outcome of RDA/Woodley I'd presume. If RDA wins I could see them throwing Wonderboy in with him, a fresh fight which on paper sounds as though it could be a barnburner. If Woodley wins though then maybe Covington in a title eliminator. Even then, I can't see any desire from the UFC to run Woodley/Wonderboy III after the dump that was their last fight. If they have no other options for the title shot, I couldn't see them sticking it on as a main event for any PPV. Maybe the headliner of a FOX show or as a co-main event, but there's fuck all chance anyone is going to be enthusiastically buying that as a PPV main.

RDA v Woodley? Jumping the gun a bit there aren't you? Woodley vs anyone is months away - he's just had surgery.  The timing of it was pretty sly from Tyron - he's clearly holding out as long as he can to get the GSP fight.  I can see them doing RDA vs Covington for an interim belt. 

Think I saw Wonderboy campaigning for the RDA fight recently, actually. 

• Paid Members

Indeed. Woodley said on last night's Rogan podcast that he's only two weeks out of surgery and it will be several months before he can even hit a bag again, never mind fighting. Sucks for RDA, because he more than deserves his title shot, but it may not happen for another 6+ months or so.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, OzExile said:

I'd like to see it.  I'm not writing off Gunnar either.  But a win for Till over Nelson to me - is a bigger scalp than Mike Perry. 

If not Till though - who the fuck next for Wonderboy? 

Maia maybe? From Wonderboy's perspective I think the Till fight is a 'nothing to gain, everything to lose'  situation. He's still likely the #1 or #'2 contender so coming to the UK, fighting a lower ranked (& dangerous) opponent whilst also dealing with jetlag & a hostile crowd does little for his prospects. Unless they're chucking big cash at him for it or essentially telling him it's next fight then I get why he & his team might be reluctant.

Archived