The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Haven't seen it mentioned but Carlos Condit vs Matt Brown is in the works for April. 

I know they've both been flirting with retirement but I love that fight. They're both kind of in the same position and with their styles and how they match up on paper it just seems like a fight that can't fail to deliver. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
18 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

It appears Conor has been stripped of the title. Dana just announced that Khabib/Tony is for the big belt during the presser. 

Edit - Dana won't actually confirm he's been stripped but insists the winner gets the Undisputed title. 

Carny as fuck. 

Just watched the press conference for that. 

Dana's such an annoying cunt there. Loved Helwani going a bit Paxman on him and pressing him to give a straight answer. Unfortunately, he'll probably lose his media credentials again as a result because Dana's a big baby. How can this be for the 'real belt' if they haven't stripped McGregor? You can't have two 'undisputed' champions. By definition of the word undisputed it's impossible. Because obviously, while there are two champions there'll always be a dispute there. Everyone sees through it anyway, so Dana should've just been honest for once and said 'I want to call this an undisputed title fight because it looks better on the poster. But we're not stripping Conor because I'm in love with him and don't want to lose him.' By avoiding answering the question and getting all defensive he just comes across like those dodgy old boxing promoters he used to slag off. The bigger the UFC has gotten the more like Arum/Warren etc he's become. 

Oh and Tony Ferguson once again showed why he should never be let near a microphone in that presser. He must've graduated from the Tito Ortiz school of trash talking with honours. He's awful. And the worst thing is he seems to think he's great at these things. He'll say something really shite and everyone's cringing and he looks incredibly smug and pleased with himself like he just said something witty. 

• Paid Members

There are times when I wonder if certain pro-wrestling aspects would translate over to MMA at all, like that promotion that tried to do tag-team matches.

I am now intrigued by the idea of an MMA ladder match.

Dana has made some gaffes over the years, but this one might take the cake. Helwani had him by the balls there. 

Dana later clarified that McGregor will only be stripped if he does not commit to facing the winner in the build-up to this fight. What if he does commit? Does that mean that Khabib vs Tony fight for the interim title after all? Khabib's camp were pretty clear that they did not want to fight for the interim title earlier in the week. It's a giant mess. The only upshot is that Khabib vs Ferguson is almost certainly going to happen - whether it be for the "undisputed title" or not. 

From Bloody Elbow:

After just recently being promoted to a full “undisputed” champion status, middleweight title holder Robert Whittaker had to bow out of his UFC 221 main event that happens in his home country.

No reason was given at the time of the announcement, but Dana White has now given an update, saying a very serious infection is what sidelined Whittaker.

“He had staph infection in his stomach,” White told TSN shortly after UFC 220 ended. “From what I understand, it wasn’t treated properly and started to eat away parts of his organs. He’s in serious condition.

“It’s going to be a minute before he’s back, I think. Hopefully it turns around quick, but that stuff is life threatening if not treated the right way.”

• Paid Members

I really wish they'd dump the word "Interim" and just make it a "Silver" title or something. I know "interim" is a valid word, but it conjures up images of a toilet bowl.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I completely forgot it was Rockhold/Romero. 

Shows how shitty this division is now once Bisping won the belt.

In terms of the mess it created, without doubt. In terms of competitors, it's still a shark tank with Rockhold, Whittaker, Romero, Weidman, Jacare, Gastelum, and rising contenders like Costa and Branch. 

It's why Whittaker pulling out came at the worst possible time for the division. 

GSP and the UFC in general have a lot to answer for to be honest when it comes to the state of the division at the minute. 

• Paid Members

In fairness, it's not GSP's concern to keep 180 tidy. His only motivation is (and should be) to win fights, get paid, and lay down a legacy.

Also, in fairness to the UFC (which isn't something I'll say often) this really does seem to be down to just pure bad luck. Apart from allowing GSP back in (and they would have been fools not to), I'm not sure what else they could have done differently to prevent this situation from occurring, other than illegally fixing fights.

Archived