The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Agreed. I think he'd rather take a beating in the cage than live with the stigma of being a chicken shit.

Unless it reaches a stage where his doctor actually tells him he shouldn't be fighting.

True, considering his body seemingly is made of crisps then that's a good possibility. 

I think it will happen eventually. A doctor's note is the only potential spanner in the works. There's been too much noise about it for it to be quietly dropped. Sadly, it's white noise to me. It's something I just want to happen, and then fade away from memory.

• Paid Members

The thing with Punk is, his brain is scrambled. He's had as many concussions as Daniel Bryan has had, and also, he suffered a fractured skull. Not to mention he's got well documented knees and back problems, which he's had surgery on in rapid succession because his body started breaking down. He's fucked head to toe. I just cant see how he would be allowed to fight, let alone try and compete at any level. Especially at this level. Its not like he's Kurt Angle either. He's a nerd who used to bring in a note from his Mam when he was forced to play rounders with the daft kids. He's not an athlete. He had no base to improve on when he signed for UFC. He's fighting a hungry young guy who wants to make a name for himself. I get the whole bucket list thing, but getting my face smashed in isnt on my list of things to do.

Some commissions are very lax with who they allow to fight. I'm not sure what the Ohio commission are like, but the Texas commission approved Kimbo and Dada to fight earlier this year. I suspect that some commissions wouldn't sign off on this bout. I recall years ago, one commission refused to sanction the Kimbo vs Ray Mercer fight, so they simply moved it elsewhere. 

• Paid Members

Some commissions are very lax with who they allow to fight. I'm not sure what the Ohio commission are like, but the Texas commission approved Kimbo and Dada to fight earlier this year. I suspect that some commissions wouldn't sign off on this bout. I recall years ago, one commission refused to sanction the Kimbo vs Ray Mercer fight, so they simply moved it elsewhere. 

I don't think they moved the Kimbo/Mercer fight, they just used a bit of a loophole and called it an exhibition fight or something.

I don't think they moved the Kimbo/Mercer fight, they just used a bit of a loophole and called it an exhibition fight or something.

After reading into it, you're correct. I must be thinking of another fight. 

They labelled it a "sanctioned exhibition" fight. 

• Paid Members

they gave Kimbo a pretty tough out for his first bout really, Mercer was way past his prime but in straight boxing you'd expect any version of Ray Mercer to absolutely school Kimbo.

• Paid Members

Just read that the Glover vs Rumble fight, that was meant to happen on the July 23rd FOX show, is going to be rescheduled for another UFC card now.

The mad thing is though, I also read that Alexander Gustafsson was up for stepping in to fight Glover on short notice, the big nutter. The balls on him! With the recent losses he's had, a lot of fighters would want to take a couple of tune ups first before jumping back into the fire on short notice and risking dropping another loss. Gus doesn't give a shit.

I think the UFC made the right call though. Gus could probably do with a step back in opposition for now, give him chance to regroup. And rebooking the Glover vs Rumble fight makes sense as it was a fight people were excited about when it was announced.

Still though, that Gusty is gutsy.

• Paid Members

Ryan Jimmo is dead after what sounds like a deliberate hit and run. 34 years old. Fucking hell.

RIP.

More info from MMAJunkie;

Canadian light heavyweight Ryan Jimmo is dead at 34.

MMAjunkie today confirmed with a person with first-hand knowledge of the accident who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the matter that Jimmo was the victim identified in an initial CBC News report of a fatal hit-and-run collision.

Edmonton Police Service officials were not immediately available for comment when contacted by MMAjunkie.

According to CBC News, “an altercation occurred between the drivers of two vehicles at around 2:15 a.m.” this morning in the parking lot of H2O Lounge in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

The report continues that “the 34-year-old driver of one vehicle walked up to the occupants of the other vehicle. When he began to walk away, police say the suspects’ vehicle accelerated and struck him before leaving the scene.

“The suspects’ vehicle, a dark-colored pickup truck police say was occupied by two Caucasian males, then fled … and nearly hit a red car.”

The suspects are reportedly still at large.

A lifelong martial artist, Jimmo (19-5) began his professional MMA career in 2007, initially fighting exclusively in Canada and eventually rising to the rank of Maximum Fighting Championship light heavyweight champion.

He made his UFC debut in July 2012, scoring a “Knockout of the Night” bonus in a seven-second win over Anthony Perosh. Jimmo would fight six more times under the UFC banner, earning two victories in that span, including a “Performance of the Night” knockout win over Sean O’Connell in April 2013 at The Ultimate Fighter Nations Finale.

Jimmo fought most recently in May 2015, losing a unanimous decision to Francimar Barroso. He was released from the promotion shortly after.

Archived