The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

That's a right clanger from Bunce. Even if he is a bit dopey, that should have never left his lips. In recent decades, kicks to the floor have been outlawed in the UFC. The modern UFC product is really the only MMA programming that England has been exposed to on a wider scale.

Unless he thinks that English soccer hooligans were keen viewers of Pride FC? I know we live in the YouTube age, but I find it hard to believe that many would be exposed to the Pride back catalogue.  It's bollocks anyway. Those sort of tactics have been commonplace in Football hooliganism for decades. It's nothing new at all. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I don't usually mind Bunce. When he sticks to talking Boxing. But he chats mega shit about MMA and always has. So full of shit it's unreal.

It doesn't help though, that one of the football hooligan cretins I saw on the news last night was wearing some green Venum Muay Thai/MMA shorts while he was running around smacking people. Obviously, most viewers aren't going to realise they're MMA shorts but it's still not good.

I think he's just got his cause and effect muddled up.

MMA doesn't warp otherwise innocent minds and incline them to violence, but a lot of already violent, warped minds ARE drawn to MMA as they get to have a tear up and not get arrested. There's a crossover, but MMA isn't the trigger, it's a release.

I think he's just got his cause and effect muddled up.

MMA doesn't warp otherwise innocent minds and incline them to violence, but a lot of already violent, warped minds ARE drawn to MMA as they get to have a tear up and not get arrested. There's a crossover, but MMA isn't the trigger, it's a release.

No doubt warped minds are drawn to MMA. There's a serious issue with domestic violence and MMA fighters.

It doesn't help though, that one of the football hooligan cretins I saw on the news last night was wearing some green Venum Muay Thai/MMA shorts while he was running around smacking people. Obviously, most viewers aren't going to realise they're MMA shorts but it's still not good.

That specific character probably is an MMA fan/trainee.

However, based on my own personal experience, a lot who wear MMA gear in public aren't MMA fans as such. This was especially the case during the Affliction and Tapout boom of the late 00's. 

I've got a cache of Affliction of Tapout clothes somewhere. It's like a hoarder who keeps bags of his own toe nails. You know it's gross, they're never going to be of use again and you definitely don't other people to know you have them, but you can't bring yourself to chuck them. Those Affliction shirts were like 50/60 quid a pop.

Some of the Tapout stuff was used heavily for training in, though, so even washed I imagine they smell a bit rum.

I did find my old Sinister white Anderson Silva shirt recently, when we moved flats. It was washed, but absolutely covered in blood from a sparring session gone badly when I was younger. It was so depressing. All these memories came flooding back of being young, thin, participating in sport and not being a fat, useless office worker.

Sad times.

• Paid Members

The only bit of MMA clothing I own is the black and white Venum Shogun shirt because my sister bought it for me. In all the years of watching MMA, I've never bought any MMA clothing myself.

Edit - tell a lie, I got my brother the blue JDS Nike shirt a couple of years ago. And I would've bought the original Korean Zombie t-shirt for myself but couldn't find it.

Sports Direct sells Tap Out for cheap as fuck see big fat obese people wearing it, same with Everlast & Londsdale and other stuff.

They are probably wearing those £1 slazenger socks they sell and the closest they've been golfing is using a golf club in a fight.

I own one Tapout white t-shirt I use for the gym and that's about it. MMA shirts from what I've seen aren't like wrestling ones, there's none I'd wear out unless I was hitting the gym or for a game of fives etc. They all look like gym gear rather than some gym, some casual wear. Weird in a sense you'd have thought there was a fair bit of money to be made off of that sort of thing. Gimmicks and not what.

A little bit more to the Russian fans story, the BBC are now reporting that some of the Russian gang were wearing mouthguards and 'fighting gloves'. Presuming they weren't a pair of Rival 16 oz'ers, that's pretty shitty.

If any of the rags do some half-baked, populist dot-connecting, this could be a really unexpected, and nasty, bit of unwanted publicity for MMA.

Archived