The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Well he doesn't always get it, he was number 1 contender with no fights left and he apparently got himself a pay cut, I believe it would have went up had he won but he lost and it started going down.

I say apparently as I think he got a big signing bonus but that doesn't become public unless there is a lawsuit.

If I was Nate and the money was fine, I would ask for the fight to be at 155 and whoever wins gets a Lightweight title shot, I know Dos Anjos has already beat him but he would have the chance to headline three big selling PPVs

That was in the past though. He's obviously learned from his mistakes. The thing is at the time despite the number 1 contender status, he still didn't have the leverage he needed as the division wasn't lucrative to the UFC.

I don't think there's any need for it to be asked to be at 155 either, as the winner will get what they want irrespective of the weight. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

He's digging his heels in right now regarding getting what he's worth to the company and rightly so. The only thing that concerns me is that Mcgregor really is the only big fight for Nate and I hope he doesn't shoot himself in the foot. Say if the UFC decide against the rematch, Mcgregor is fine as he's a draw no matter what. Nate on the other doesn't have many options after Mcgregor.

Yeah, it'd be a shame if Nate ended up pricing himself out of the McGregor rematch. I'd love to see Nate get that huge payday. I know he was supposed to have done very well out of the first fight but he'd presumably be getting even more for this rematch. I've said it before but I never thought Nate would ever get in a position to make the really big money. So I'm chuffed to see him in this position.

I understand him holding out for more money. The way he'll be looking at it will be 'McGregor's raking in millions, I just choked the fuck out of him a few months back - I deserve millions too'. And you can't argue with him really, can you? Yeah, McGregor's the bigger star. He's the 'A Side' even despite losing to Nate already. But even from the promotional standpoint, Nate does that well in his own way. Whatever he does, people want to see his fights. Now more than ever. I hope he makes a fucking ton of money. But there's going to be a fine line between holding out and squeezing every bit of money he can out of the UFC in the negotiations, and pricing himself out. He's going to have to accept a number at some point, because the alternative will be to lose the payday altogether if he won't budge and insists on a number they won't cough up. If he can make X million dollars, even if it's a million less than he wanted, it's still better than fuck all, isn't it?

Like you say Lamby, it's not like the UFC don't have other options for McGregor. If Nate won't play ball the UFC can just throw Conor in with the Aldo/Edgar winner. Then who knows what happens from there? Nate's only other possible big fights would be GSP at 170 (but this depends on GSP actually returning) or RDA (but this pales in comparison to McGregor or GSP in terms of money and hype). Plus of those three, McGregor is the only real winnable fight for Diaz. It's both a huge payday AND a fight he can win. GSP, even with the layoff, would almost certainly batter him and RDA has already and would do again. Nate needs that McGregor rematch.

• Paid Members

You know when you're looking at upcoming cards and you see a fight is coming up that you didn't know about?

I had no idea Gilbert Melendez vs Edson Barboza was happening! Completely missed that announcement but I love that fight. It's on the July 23rd FOX show along with Rumble vs Glover and Holm vs Shevchenko. I'm liking that card.

Demetrious Johnson vs Wilson Reis for the Flyweight Title is announced as the UFC 201 co-main event.

Fucking who?

He's fought six times in the UFC Herb, try to keep up, eh?

He's beaten Ivan Menjivar, Scotty Jorgensen and Dustin Ortiz during his UFC run, losing by decision to Formiga and alcantara, so he's 4-2 in the promotion, which isn't too bad.

• Paid Members

On the back of David's post I thought I would check out Reis' record and it pretty much sums up the flyweight division by them giving the title shot to a guy on a 1 fight winning streak.

Surely Benavidez who is on a 5 fight winning streak, despite their last fight, is the best option?

• Paid Members

Surely Benavidez who is on a 5 fight winning streak, despite their last fight, is the best option?

he is the clear cut number one contender, and if he wasn't doing the TUF thing i think UFC would go with him now. They'd have too despite how convincingly Mighty Mouse beat him last time.

• Paid Members

Johnson has beaten him twice though, pretty emphatically last time.

The first fight was close and the second was a flash KO. Emphatic yes, but a flash KO can happen to anyone. There's no question that talent wise Benavidez is close to DJ and a 5 fight winning streak more than warrants a third crack.

Johnson has beaten him twice though, pretty emphatically last time.

The first fight was close and the second was a flash KO. Emphatic yes, but a flash KO can happen to anyone. There's no question that talent wise Benavidez is close to DJ and a 5 fight winning streak more than warrants a third crack.

Would you put money on Benavidez winning?

Archived