The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'd be pretty confident if I was Gall.

You're fighting a guy who is:

Has a beat-up body.

Has no proper training or background before his arrival at Rufus.

Has tonnes of pressure & hype to deal with.

Has been reported to be shite in training.

I reckon we'll tell immediately if it's gone bad.

Early on, Punk gave an interview where he said that Rufus said he had lots of his game to work on, but his striking was 'very natural'. If at any point early on he tries a body lock (which is exactly how I think itll start), we'll know he has fuck all confidence in his abilities.

I reckon he'll just try and hug and hold, and ride it out. And, I think it'll end very, very poorly for him.

Even if he does pull it out, and knocks Gall out, there's very little benefit to him staying on. He'd be better off flipping the crowd off and retiring to comics or something.

• Paid Members

I just can't see Punk being competive anywhere in the fight. The best he can hope for would probably be to not tap to a choke and go to sleep (no pun intended)

I dont condone that stuff, but it's hard to see how he could get anyone's respect after this farce.

Whatever happens I think it'll be over quickly.

• Paid Members

Silly point that irritates me: UFC calling the second-to-last match the "co-main event" and then the last match the "main event". If one's a co-main event, then the other must be as well.

• Paid Members

Are there any odds available for the Punk fight yet? They've got to be the longest of all time, surely?

Paddy Power have Gall at 3/10 and Punk at 12/5. I suspect it's like England in football championships where the odds are driven down by people betting with their heart rather than their head.

• Paid Members

Silly point that irritates me: UFC calling the second-to-last match the "co-main event" and then the last match the "main event". If one's a co-main event, then the other must be as well.

Reminds me of that episode of Scrubs where the janitor messes with JD by adding "co-" to his "Chief Resident" office sign.

• Paid Members

Are there any odds available for the Punk fight yet? They've got to be the longest of all time, surely?

Paddy Power have Gall at 3/10 and Punk at 12/5. I suspect it's like England in football championships where the odds are driven down by people betting with their heart rather than their head.

i imagine Gall will be included in every acca that's handed in.

• Paid Members

These past few days have probably been most bizarre/craziest/saddest period I can remember as a fan of MMA.

You had the amazing card of 199 that included Michael Bisping shocking the world and becoming the first British UFC champion

Brock Lesnar announcing his return

Mcgregor/Diaz announced

Helwani being banned and then unbanned (along with the massive backlash)

Then the terrible news of the passing of Kimbo Slice.

Just crazy. 

• Paid Members

The first time I watched the UFC, I assumed that it was a special situation where both the penultimate fight and the final fight were being given joint billing as the main event.

I'm with you, it makes no sense.

I'm not sure where this belongs but in addition to Van Zant at Summerslam, WWE are said to be in talks with Rousey for Mania (like officially going through UFC) and there is a suggestion they may start helping each with promotion.

It's a fascinating development if it's true, I know WWE and UFC always book shows not to tread on each others toes but if they actually start working together it could lead to a lot of fun crossovers.

I'm not sure where this belongs but in addition to Van Zant at Summerslam, WWE are said to be in talks with Rousey for Mania (like officially going through UFC) and there is a suggestion they may start helping each with promotion.

It's a fascinating development if it's true, I know WWE and UFC always book shows not to tread on each others toes but if they actually start working together it could lead to a lot of fun crossovers.

Aside from Lesnar I don't really see who else can crossover from WWE to UFC though? Sure, plenty can go in the other direction, but where's the attraction for UFC? Unless Lesnar alone is enough?

Archived