The Food Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Lots of good food chat over the last couple of days!

Steak-Until around 19 years ago My steak of choice was well done. Cremated. Due to the fact that my mum used to charcoal everything to the point of ashes, anything with the mere hint of pink petrified me. I then tried a medium. My life was changed in an instant. Now its medium to Medium Rare all the way. There is time for him to come to the light side.

Tesco Own Brand Pringles-Wonderful. Pringles changed the recipe a few years ago, and they were never as nice. The Tesco ones are a throwback to the original recipe, and a hell of a lot cheaper too.

Own brand Tortilla Chips-All the way. 45p vs

• Paid Members

I've always been somewhat afraid of not having steak well done until I finally tried one medium a while ago. Think my habit of giving myself food posioning caused me to have to go down extreme routes to be perfectly sure it wouldn't happen again. Can't go back from medium now though, was divine.

• Awards Moderator
Mrs SiMania bought one of those soup makers that are basically pressure cookers with an in built heating element and blender. She was working late tonight so I opened it, fired in a chopped up butternut squash, a sweet potato, stock, a bit of coconut cream and a large pinch of curry powder..........

Amazing, looking forward to trying some new recipes. Any ideas? Ideally vegetarian as she doesn't eat meat and doesn't want meat in it.

Look for "thermomix recipes" to get decent hits on this. My mate Kavey has some good ideas.

pat's vodka thing

No, alcohol doesn't split cream. Acidity splits the fat at a certain temperature. And you will definitely want something fresh and green to offset all that carb.

I'm sure I've heard/read that it's common for restaurants to keep aside cuts of steak solely for 'well done' orders. Essentially keeping the shitarse cuts aside for people who wont know the difference anyway as it's been cooked to within an inch of it's life.

Yes, I used to butcher whole Sides of sirloin, I would keep the end parts just for this reason.. Your basically paying to eat my Rubbish which normally i would mince up and use somewhere else

pat's vodka thing

No, alcohol doesn't split cream. Acidity splits the fat at a certain temperature. And you will definitely want something fresh and green to offset all that carb.

Hey dude, ta for the answer

Was unsure, cos I didnt write the recipe down when I did it last and am paranoid about it splitting. Pink/Tomato Vodka sauces are great, just wanted to do something different again :) This time Im gunna be cooking for 6 or so was thinking of making in a big crock pot dealio to start and then doing in small bowl/ramekin things at a low heat 150 or so and then top with crisps/cheese towards the end, serve on plate with salad to as you say offset the stodge, erm carbs ( was going to have red and green peppers in pasta bake)

Was thinking of adding button mushrooms and shallots for a bit of variety?

• Moderators
Like Thunderplex I used to have steak well done simply because that was the way my mum cooked it. Nowadays I like it medium. Pink through but not bloody. I find a bloody steak makes everything else on the plate soggy and the iron taste is a bit off putting for me.

A steak that bleeds like that is one that hasn't been rested properly.

P1030633.jpg

Best. Sirloin. Ever.

Lovely. Reminds me of the fillet I had at The Savoy a few weeks ago.

I appreciate that everyone has different tastes, but good cuts of lamb and beef are meant to be eaten rare. Anything else is just mugging yourself.