NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

If there's anybody whose physique won't be an issue in getting over, it's "the next Punk/Bryan".

Does it really matter whether an underdog looks like he can beat you up anyway? While there's obvious room for improvement, his gimmick is pretty much "relatable man".

Edited by Benno

• Paid Members

You kind of are. Because I've seen thousands of wrestlers over the years with as many different body types, and unless there's an oddness to them - like Benoit's too-short arms - I couldn't give a toss how they're built. It's what they do that matters. But I'm not Vince, I guess.

Linus, did you really just pick Harley Race, Bruiser and Crusher as guys without good upper bodies?  :lol:

They are all tough, gruff looking guys who you'd avoid at the bar.  Even guys like Punk exuded a bit of a "don't fuck with me" aura.  At the moment, Zayn looks like Christian's cuddly older brother who's still living at home.

I get that it's part of his charm.  But if he looked like a loveable dork and yet when he took of his t-shirt, didn't make you think of Chris Hero, he'd look less out of place at the top of the WWE card.

I'm exaggerating a bit - he looks ok...  But

SamiZayn2_crop_650.jpg

That's how I look when I'm sucking my tummy in in front of the mirror.

tumblr_my73yoei7v1scgtjso5_500.jpg

:love:

EDIT: if you knew the sites I've had to go to to get pics of Ambrose sans t-shirt....shudder...

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

I used the guys in those pictures as examples of body types that probably would NOT fit in today's WWE, like Zayn apparently. Of course, the real issue is that there's no clear weight divisions any more and so a Zayn will always look smaller than true heavyweights. Can't believe it should matter to anyone but Men's Health subscribers, anyway.

• Paid Members

The bottom line is that a wrestler should look like he can either beat up the average sportsman or be able to better him in physical athletic competition. Historically, wrestlers have looked like the former. I suppose Sami Zayn looks like the latter, but he's only just scraping in. For me his appearance is right on the edge of what I think is acceptable for WWE. He will be fine though, he looks on a par with CM Punk or Daniel Bryan and most fans had no problem accepting those guys as credible champions.

I used the guys in those pictures as examples of body types that probably would NOT fit in today's WWE, like Zayn apparently.

Why would they not fit in? They've got meat on them and look like they could mess you up, much like Bray Wyatt. I don't think it's fair to say that wrestlers' physiques only matter to people who read Men's Fitness magazines. I was a fan of Sami Zayn in his early ROH days and I enjoy him in NXT. My argument is that wrestlers do need to look the part if they're getting called up to the main WWE roster. Each to their own though and if it's not something that bothers you then great, every fan has a different opinion.