NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

Hey, I watched Metal!

(Raw hasn't been posted yet).

Sami Zayn's tights - why?  They don't seem to fit his tramp-with-a-heart gimmick at all.  Zayn's got a lot of character, and is that rare thing, a natural face, but he needs to be spending his off days down there in the gym.  It's an upper body business.  That overhang isn't helping.  Perhaps he can get some tips from Rollins?

Tyler Breeze should watch Raw - Ziggler's doing this gimmick already.  And those tassles have to go - not that I object to tassles per se, but his keep falling down and he's going to trip over them.  Get high boots and sew the tassels into the top.

Zayn wins with a big boot to the corner.  Really?  Lad's got potential, but at the moment he's a tubby Christian without jaundice.

Jimmy Nail is the NXT champ apparently.  Renee is pretty but not pretty enough to hide Jimmy's ears.

Bloody hell, it's Tyson Kidd!  Kidd is great here, if only he was a foot and a half taller.  His opponent has a strawberry on his cock.  Is HHH definitely watching this show?  This was all Kidd, who reminds me of Lance Storm now, and wins with the Canadian National Finisher.

Coming soon to NXT - the Elephant Man!  

Renee has never heard of the Count Of Monte Cristo, thus reinforcing the blonde stereotype.  You have to wonder why Zayn is in wrestling and not acting, he seems so natural in front of the camera.

NXT has mini Titantrons on the ring apron.  Nice!  Sasha Banks has stolen Macho's glasses, which is a little unfair.  More girls come down, and it's starting to look a lot like the Wannabe music video in there.  Charlotte is Flair's daughter.  Wow, despite all the shit her dad has gone through, and her brother dying, she still wants to be in rasslin?   She looks too much like her Dad when she takes a headlock, it's just plain weird.  Someone won whilst I was fast forwarding.

It's Regal.  He's a handsome chap, still looks great.  He probably went as far as he could in wrestling, but I still think that he could have had more main events, he was such a great wrestler.  He books Seth Rogen v Jimmy Nail for next week's show. I think he wants to eat Renee with a spoon, and who can blame him?

And our main event, not that it's been touted at all during the show, is..  

Oh.  The Ascension.  You know, I like their look, and I love the idea of a Masonic gimmick. But there's something just so... indy about them.

Hideo comes out, looking short and angry, and he's bringing with him... Tajiri!  Wait, no that's Impact.  It's somone else!  Everyone in NXT comes with an impressive international pedigree etc. etc. so it's really not worth mentioning.  Why is Balor angry with The Ascension?  They don't say.

It really annoys me seeing guys doing indyriffic moves that they'll never be able to do in 10 years time; haven't they been following Sabu's career?  You don't want to be doing a double foot stomp off the top rope when you're 40.

The crowd knows something I don't, as they seemed to love this whereas it just left me cold.  I need characters and stories and reasons.  This feud doesn't feel like it has any of that.

Odd show NXT - half the time it feels like an indy supershow, the other half it feels like a template for things Raw should be doing.  I guess it's perfect dev territory stuff, but I was less impressed than the last time I watched (about a year ago?)  Nobody looked ready for the Raw/Smackdown roster.

Edited by Loki

• Awards Moderator

Zayn wins with a big boot to the corner.  Really?  Lad's got potential, but at the moment he's a tubby Christian without jaundice.

Yeah he is fabulous but I never want to see him on the main roster. I can't see him getting over there, though I'd like to be wrong.

• Paid Members

I endorse Loki's review. But you really shouldn't Duggan through the women - that match ruled. Balor is angry with the Ascension because they beat up his friend. Again. And again and again and again.

• Paid Members

I endorse Loki's review.

You should sue him for gimmick infringement!

Tyler Breeze should watch Raw - Ziggler's doing this gimmick already .

Interesting point, or maybe Ziggler should watch NXT and take a couple of notes from Tyler Breeze? In terms of character/gimmick development as I think Tyler Breeze's gimmick is a lot more clearer than Ziggler's. Although you get the idea of what Ziggler is trying to achieve with his gimmick, he's not doing much to flesh it out. He used to a few years ago a bit more, but not now.

I'm not sure what Ziggler is trying to achieve with his gimmick. It seems like he does just want forums saying he's the next Shawn Michaels or Mr Perfect because of taking big bumps, but he's been on the main roster for six years now. He'll never top the business on being the potential updated version of old wrestlers, it's high time he had something else going for him.

I'd say he's done well considering what a TERRIBLE name it is.   From my perspective I enjoy his matches and he seems popular with the arena crowds.  Perhaps he figures that WWE are never going to give him a spot higher than he has currently, and he's just enjoying wrestling.

• Paid Members
Nemeth later revealed in Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling Podcast that he chose the name "Dolph" because that was his great grandfather's name and he said that his friend suggested the name "Ziggler".

I can't be arsed listening to the podcast again to see if that quote's correct but I'm sure that's where I heard it, too.

Edited by Au

Nick Nemeth sounds like a wrestling name anyway, would have worked just fine.  

A bit off topic, but how come CM Punk got to keep his Indy name?

• Paid Members

I don't think it's ever been properly explained why Punk got to keep his name, but it always just felt like nobody gave enough of a shit about him to change it. Everyone seemed so utterly convinced that he'd never amount to much, so it never really mattered what he was called. At least not in developmental. Then, his debut was unique in that in order to try and help the new ECW get over as a genuine alternative it was actually important that he came in with the Indy name. And then, as time went on, it was too late to change it and he ended up on top. It's a really strange set of circumstances when you think about it, and something I imagine pisses Vince off quite often.