NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

Fuck, Sami Zayn was great in the end segment. Didn't see that coming from him. I am really hoping that his 'road to redemption' story takes another twist at Revolution with Kevin Owens costing him the match and giving him a good hiding at the end of the show. Nothing will get Owens over like an introduction like that followed by a blood feud with Sami. The matches would be spectacular.

• Paid Members

That final segment made Sami look like a star while Neville just looked like a gimp. Really does make me question whether Neville will actually be called up as I just don't see him connecting with the live crowds on Raw and Smackdown, while Sami has shown that he can get the crowd behind him, granted it's only the NXT crowd, but really think he would connect really well with the bigger live crowds. Do people think Sami will finally win the big one, or will he lose and move up to Raw/Smackdown? Or lose and feud with Kevin Owen once he debuts?

Fuck, Sami Zayn was great in the end segment. Didn't see that coming from him. I am really hoping that his 'road to redemption' story takes another twist at Revolution with Kevin Owens costing him the match and giving him a good hiding at the end of the show. Nothing will get Owens over like an introduction like that followed by a blood feud with Sami. The matches would be spectacular.

He really was. Screw what I said about his physique the other week, he looked like a star there.

That final segment made Sami look like a star while Neville just looked like a gimp. Really does make me question whether Neville will actually be called up as I just don't see him connecting with the live crowds on Raw and Smackdown, while Sami has shown that he can get the crowd behind him, granted it's only the NXT crowd, but really think he would connect really well with the bigger live crowds. Do people think Sami will finally win the big one, or will he lose and move up to Raw/Smackdown? Or lose and feud with Kevin Owen once he debuts?

I'd like to see Owens cost him the title. From what I saw of Zayn and Owens on the indies they had great chemistry together. Maybe have him win the title in a three way in the new year?

I still want to see a NXT Elimination Chamber with the winner getting an IC/US title shot at Wrestlemania. Zayn vs Itami vs Neville vs Balor vs Owen vs Corbin.

• Paid Members

The only thing that was noteworthy about the first half of this week was Baron Corbin's smile. A small thing, but it made him look seriously dreamy.

The tag was good, though teaming with Finn Balor is only highlighting the work Hideo Itami still needs to be main roster ready.

Sami Zayn was great at the end, as already mentioned, I don't have much to add to that.

• Paid Members

Hey, it's NXT! And you can't teach that!

Show starts with Charlotte coming to the ring. Her t-shirt says, "If You're Gonna Do It, Do It With Flair", which is nothing if not an invitation, right?

She's fighting Mia Yim, who is never introduced, with a graphic or announcement. Yim starts well but is quickly beaten with the neckbraker/Natural Selection combo.

Sasha Banks comes out to the top of the ramp. She's wearing one of Charlotte's t-shirts, amended to say, "If You're Gonna Do It, Do It Like A Boss". Nice. Charlotte wants to go right now but Sasha says she doesn't do what she's told. Charlotte starts a "Ratchet" chant. I'm told a ratchet is a ghetto girl who think she all that. Yes.

Sasha runs down Charlotte and her Dad, until Bayley hobbles out on crutches. She says that Charlotte's too classy to say it, but she isn't, and tells Sasha to "shut her stupid ratchet face!"

Sasha kicks Bayley's crutch out from under her crutch and puts the boots to our fallen idiot. The crowd do the Peter Griffin "owww" again. Charlotte runs to make the save and carries Sasha back to the ring, shouting "get me a ref!", intent on doing some damage to Sasha.

Becky Lynch comes down for the distract and Sasha hits a lung blower on Charlotte to leave her down and out. She poses with the belt - it's ON at Takeover! This was good.

Hey, it's the Vaudevillains! And it's another silent movie! This week's GOLD has the Lucha Dragons needing to be stopped from dropping water balloons off of City Hall. So ridiculous, so good.

Wesley Blake and Buddy Murphy - the Dubstep Cowboys, as they will now be known as - come out, and I like them. They're facing the Vaudevillains as the turn-of-the-century heels warm up to face the Lucha Dragons at Takeover.

This was a good little match, with the heels getting the heat on Wesley Blake before Buddy Murphy powers in with some hard offense. It breaks down at the end, the Cowboys miss a Vaudevillains tag, and the dastards use that to their advantage for the win. Lots of people in the crowd doing Gotch's pose this week.

Backstage, William Regal is telling Tyler Breeze that nobody can find Marcus Louis anywhere, so their re-match can't take place tonight. Tyson Kidd walks up and demands a re-match with Finn Balor. Regal decides that Kidd & Breeze will face Balor & Hideo Itami tonight. Breeze looks disgusted, Kidd looks delighted.

Hey. it's Bull Dempsey! He's fighting Elias Sampson, and disaptches him in, like, 20 seconds. As he walks up the ramp, Baron Corbin's music plays, and he comes out for his match. Corbin walks straight to the ring, ignoring Bull like every true monster should.

Corbin's fighting Steve Cutler, who is already in the ring. That happened last week, too. Maybe that's Cutler's gimmick? He gets no entrance, not even off-screen? It needs work.

Corbin wins in 13 seconds, although it was probably less because the crowd counted fast. He really is better than Bull, and I can't see that ending well. Sucks to be Sampson & Cutler.

A vignette from everyone's favourite Ricky Grover looky-likey, Kevin Owens, is up next. he talks about all the people he fought over the years who made it to the WWE before him. CM Punk should take lessons from this because he doesn't sound bitter at all. Instead he sounds determined. I like it.

It's Breeze & Kidd versus Balor & Itami time. Kidd's with Natalya. He does a great dick move of pointing at her as if to say, "look what I got!" He also made me LOL when he told Breeze that his fur coat better not be cat fur. Balor's entrance is RIDICULOUS. It might work in facepaint, or with a more exotic costume, but when it's just a bloke in his pants it looks silly.

Breeze & Kidd work over Balor, with Itami standing on the apron not quite selling the "frustrated man whose pal is getting beaten down" role as well as he should. Balor is a good face in peril, though nowhere near Ricky Morton - although as a "tough guy" it's hard to be asked to play that role.

The Pele kick from Balor gives him enough space to the make the tag, and Itami comes in on fire, all over Breeze. Kidd comes in to make the save but Itami cuts him off. Behind theirs - and the ref's - backs, Balor footstomps a prone Breeze off the top rope, and Itami kicks him in the head for the pin. This was good.

Balor gets on the mic after and says that next week, at Takeover, the Ascension need to bring all they've got because he's bringing something they've never seen. A platypus, perhaps.

Hey, it's Jimmy Nail! Adrian Neville comes out to talk about facing Sami Zayn next week. He says he didn't want to do the dickish things he's done lately but that he did it to keep his belt. And Sami Zayn won't do those things so he'll never be champion.

Zayn comes out and basically tells Neville to fuck off. He says he's not Neville's baby sister, and he's done pretty well for himself. Neville wants to shake hands but Zayn won't go for that, no can do. Instead, he SLAPS the taste right out of Neville's mouth and walks out to HUGE cheers and a Yes! chant.

Takeover isn't a PPV. But if it was EVERYTHING on this show would make me want to buy it. NXT is doing everything right and I'm so excited for for the main event. Such a mark. A mark for NXT, yeah!

Edited by Linus

Just a reminder that Renee Young's hosting a Takeover special preview on Wednesday night. It won't air until 3am GMT though, but it will also be streamed over YouTube.

According to the internet (source: http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2014/1204/585431/wwe-nxt-star-to-make-announcement-on-his-future/),Corey Graves will make an announcement regarding his future.

Sami Zayn is, so borrow a phrase from Stone Cold, a cunt's hair away from greatness. Let's hope he doesn't grow a massive beard and start wearing plaid shirts.

• Paid Members

Excellent Sami Zayn promo. Fantastic 3 minutes of TV that sold me on the show, if I wasn't already.

The tag match was odd. Sure, Devitt sells great so it worked as a match, but these two are supposed to be taking on two massive arse-kickers next week. Not exactly a convincing argument for them going into battle. Getting beaten up by Kidd & Breeze.

• Paid Members

Tyson Kidd is brilliant at slipping in little quips during interviews and matches. This week, when he touches Tylers jacket, as they were walking away, he said 'I hope thats not cat fur'. Brilliant.

Baron Corbins entrance this week was fantastic, he looked head and shoulders above Bull. Also, Bull seemed to be rushing around trying to end the match quick, but, Corbin just strutted down as cool as anything and still ended the match in the fastest time.

I tell you how not over Itami is, the crowd sweetening the did when he got in the ring to make the pin was blatant.  They used an arena-sized crowd roar, which only highlighted the fact that the people there didn't give a shit.

He's no Tajiri is he.

The best bit of Neville's promo was when someone yelled out "Yo, Adrianne" in a great Rocky reference.  They really need to not give him a mic.  Half the crowd don't understand his accent, the other half don't care.   

Sami Zayn has a nice hat.

I find NXT interesting to dip in and out of, but a lot of the actual wrestling is pretty bland.

• Paid Members

Sami Zayn and Neville were guests on Chris Jericho's podcast on Friday. It's a fun interview ahead of the big show this week. Both guys come across very well.

If you thought Adrian Neville was a poor name, apparently one of the names that WWE originally put forward for him was Ripley Bishop. Imagine that.