NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

Ā 

Bate's music is a Peter Gabriel knock-off (Sledgehammer). No idea about Trent Seven's though.

Wait, and someone's fucking complaining about that!!? What's wrong with you lot?

That hadn't even crossed my mind. Is Sledgehammer what Bate usually comes out to?

I just don't think it suits him, if he's supposed to have this 'throwback' trait. At least he didn't come out with the confused look on his face like he did in the UK Tournament, he had a look on his face like a dog that's been bred too much

• Paid Members

Thought Nigel did okay on commentary. He's a bit drab compared to Graves but had a couple nice lines putting Perce down and of course his insight is valuable for getting these UK guys over

Ā 

Iā€™m not sure how saying ā€œThis guy works in aĀ pubā€ a dozen times was meant to get Wolfgang over. Nigel seemed to have bullet points, would forget which ones he had already read, and parroted the same lines over the two days.

Thought the triple threat match, despite playing out as s one-on-one for the most part, was pretty good and Peyton Royce was a suprise winner. She also seems to have really improved lately which is great for her.

Ā 

I'm a little confused as to why they're showing this old footage of Kassius Ohno. If you'd never seen him before or didn't watch him in NXT first time then you'll be left wondering "whose this chunker?". Was suprised to see him turn up here though interrupting Roode, who continues with the greatest Ric Flair tribute act in the world.

I managed to find a photo from last nights tapings (the final set before Takeover) of Ohno in his gear-

Ā 

CD5491C1-37F7-4CCC-B57F-FEA36386D8DF_zps

State of your fucking gear mate!

Ā 

I'm interested to see how this develops and if Ohno v Roode for the belt will be what we get for Takeover.

Ā 

Isn't Pete Dunne meant to be a heel? Because the massive cheer when he comes out and the "bruiserseight" chants would suggest otherwise.

Having said that, his match here with Mark Andrews was an absolute blinder. Their contrasting styles worked well together and the nearfalls were convincing and probably my favourite NXT TV match of the year so far.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Isn't Pete Dunne meant to be a heel? Because the massive cheer when he comes out and the "bruiserseight" chants would suggest otherwise.

Ā 

That's the fans though, isn't it. Not only is he a heel, but he's a bloody good one. This isn't a case where the fans are cheering for him because his wrestling style is too flashy like Owens is and Rollins was (because he works as a heel should), they're just being tits. Edited by PunkStep

• Awards Moderator

Pete Dunne is a vicious bastard of a heel. I appreciate how good he is but if I was there I'd be screaming blue murder at him for being such a horrible vindictive man.

Ā 

Peyton :love: I don't want to objectify her or anything but I would do anything for her. She's great. Absolutely no chance she's beating Asuka next week. Wasn't hugely keen on the triple threat - I get they wanted to keep Ember unbeaten but why have her in the match at all if she was barely going to be in it? It was almost Reigns-at-Royal-Rumble-2016 levels of 'babyface takes a breather and lets everyone else do the work'.

Ā 

I want Bobby Roode on the main roster. I want him on SmackDown, I want him Intercontinental Champion, and I want him against Cena.

Pete dunne wrestles as a heel should. Hard hitting, doesn't go looking for cheers. Nasty streak. Annoyed me in Blackpool how much he was cheered. Really wish more people would cheer good heels with booing them

I know he's "our Nigel" but McGuinness is not a good commentator at all right now, particularly in comparison to the man he's replacing. Ā His voice is so soporific. Ā He has an occasional good line but his enthusiasm level needs to drastic go up.

Ā 

I thought Dunne and Mandrews did really well, I can see Dunne getting a permanent gig with WWE, possibly in the Cruiser division.

Ā 

In other news, Bobby Roode might well be the best all-round performer the WWE has right now, and who thought that would be possible before he arrived? He's always been a great wrestler in search of a good gimmick, and now he has one it's all clicked into place. Ā He's peaking at exactly the right time, and good on him.

• Paid Members

I'm a little confused as to why they're showing this old footage of Kassius Ohno. If you'd never seen him before or didn't watch him in NXT first time then you'll be left wondering "whose this chunker?".

Confused? It's wrestling 101. You don't assume anything. Sadly they've forgotten that a lot on the main shows.

Ā 

It was a great package and made Ohno/Hero look better than I've ever thought he was. I actually got interested in seeing him based off a great little video package.

Ā 

Having said that, his match here with Mark Andrews was an absolute blinder. Their contrasting styles worked well together and the nearfalls were convincing and probably my favourite NXT TV match of the year so far.

Cheers for pointing this out. I haven't watched much, if anything, of the TV show in months but I checked this match out and it was indeed great. Regardless of the crowd reaction to the entrances, they got into this and their reaction didn't ever feel "wrong". Both guys are excellent and mesh really well. The video packages before the ad break again were superbly done. I learnt more about thise two guys in 2 minutes than I have about Apollo Crews or Baron Corbin in 6 months.

Ā 

I know he's "our Nigel" but McGuinness is not a good commentator at all right now, particularly in comparison to the man he's replacing. His voice is so soporific. He has an occasional good line but his enthusiasm level needs to drastic go up.

Completely agree. He wasn't terrible but he was monotone and sounded at times like he was reading off a piece of paper. He had a couple of good lines. Like talking about how experienced Andrews is in the US without mentioning TNA and when he talked about Andrews' band and entrance music it was much more natural.

Ā 

i don't like the dynamic of him announcing the moves while the guy who you'd think of as a PBP guy (is it still Brennan?) just oohed and ahhed in the background. From the videos beforehand from the UK tournament, it didn't sound like Michael Cole did that for those shows so why do it here? Just makes the PBP guy sound like he doesn't know anything.

Edited by tiger_rick