NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Awards Moderator

I guess the James Storm thing's not just confined to spoiler tags then?

Ā 

Watched Takeover this morning, and it confirmed to me that Sasha Banks is my wrestler of the year. There's nobody I've enjoyed watching more this year. From the point in the Iron Man where she threw Bayley into the screen I was hooked.

Ā 

Really liked the closing stretches of the Jordan/Gable vs Corbin/Rhyno match. Jordan and Gable would have fitted in really well on 2003-era SmackDown, which sounds strange but is what I thought watching them, and being paired up with Rhyno the past few months has done Baron Corbin a lot of good. Nearly wrote 'Jeremy' rather than 'Baron' there.

Ā 

Agree what others have said about Tyler Breeze. He's done everything in NXT bar win the title (which I don't see happening anytime soon) but I can't see him on the main roster without him being completely lost in the shuffle. Although I could say the same of a lot of people, including people who are already on the main roster...

Ā 

Finally, the most important thing to take away from Takeover. Funaki was in the audience. FUNAKI.

WWE have Tweeted about it today, so I guess that it's now 'news' and not strictly a spoiler.

Wasn't aware that had happened as I don't use twitter. I know Butch posted a bit back about what constitutes a spoiler and what not, but I'd still say that it's best to put in spoiler tags until the episode has aired just to air on the side of caution.

Ā 

But seen as the cat is out of the bag, there's not really much point with regards to James Storm debuting

• Awards Moderator

I chose my daughter's first ever match to be the Bayley / Sasha Iron Man match. I didn't warm her up beyond telling her what they were called. Took her a few minutes to start paying attention while she wrote in her Lego Friends book, but by the time Sasha put on the hairband she was chanting "Bayley!" as loud as she could. She loved it.

Ā 

In unrelated news, I hear Devin Taylor has been released. No more head slaps from Dana then.

Edited by Onyx2

I like how subtle they have been so far regarding the tension between Finn Balor & Samoa Joe. A few weeks ago Joe sort of threw the belt at Finn after a backstage interview, a week later he twatted the belt on Finn's shoulder leading to Balor giving him a puzzled look, then in the semi-final at Takeover that momentary look of confusion from Joe after Balor forcefully tagged himself in.

Ā 

It's good because you assume there is a falling out on the way but it isn't clear who is going to snap and turn on the other.

If Joe is jealous of Finn being the main man, he could turn on him.

But maybe Joe is fine with it and Finn tagged himself in because he doesn't like sharing the spotlight with somebody else. He could end up turning because of that.

Ā 

If this was Raw or SmackDown everything would probably have been much more exaggerated and OTT so I like how subtle they have been with it so far.

Ā 

I was massively impressed with Dana Brooke, actually for the first time. Obviously the match was to showcase what Asuka can do - and she looked excellent doing it - but Dana held her end up brilliantly. I'd be happy for her to get a push as a top heel and future challenger for the belt further down the line.

Ā 

The greatness of the main event, Jordan & Gable, Asuka, and the event as a whole have already been covered plenty.

Ā 

I try to only post positive things these days but I was going to critisize anything from Takeover it would be the announcing.

I've never really noticed Rich Brennan as putting on especially good or especially bad performances but he had a nightmare. Saying half-way through the tag team final "we haven't discussed how one of these teams has to win twice in one night to win this tournament" was met with "that's all we've been talking about Rich" from Corey Graves.

Graves was probably still pissed off from Lita cutting him off 2 or 3 times during the pre-show. He didn't look happy about that.

Edited by dopper

Finn looks great in that leather jacket. Can see him and joe at takeover London, where someone Interferes against his wishes, he makes a fuss about it and they face off on tv where they interfere again, but this time he embraces it.

Ā 

Can't have a balor club with only one member. As a heel they could play off the nervousness he has that triple H mentions about him all the time, how he has te ability to get job done, but not the confidence, so gets assistance to get the job done.

• Paid Members

The 'Balor Club' entrance, with the leather jacket, is a hundred times better than the demon thing for me. He looks an absolute rock star like that, whereas in the make-up and cape or whatever it is he wears as the Demon he usually just looks a bit camp and silly. I like the idea of him doing something different for the big shows by wearing face paint, but he just loses cool points with me with the OTT gimmickry.

Ā 

Finn and Joe posing with the massive trophy after their match was one of the best visuals of the show for me. They looked so bad ass- each on one knee, throwing up their trademark hand gestures. The Japanese influence felt heavy on the show, with that big trophy and the flowers presentation for the women at the end too.

• Paid Members

I think everybody was expecting 'Asooka' until Mr Regal introduced her the other week. 'Aska' is the correct way to pronounce it in Japanese, but it makes you wonder why they didn't give her a name that would be easier for western audiences, given that her previous name, Kana, was actually much more straightforward.

Ā 

Gotta say, as much as I love Sasha, people who chant for her ahead of Bayley (regardless of who a slight preference might be for) can fuck right off. I hope they were all underwhelmed, cos they really don't fuckin get it those fans.

Ā 

One of my fav bits about Brooklyn was how there was contrarians booing Bayley at the beginning of the match, but absolutely nobody did it around 5 minutes into the match

Ā 

I'm a bit young to hold an ultra-traditional stance, but people should only cheer the heel if the face is a shithouse in comparison

Edited by sj5522

The pudgy guy in the piper T-Shirt at the end of the Iron Man match sums up the Full Sail 'superfans', standing there po-faced giving it the thumbs down despite having seen the best women's match arguably of all time.