NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

what do you do with Tyler Breeze? He has good, solid matches but aside from giving him an NXT title run just to say he's had one, is there anything left for him in NXT. He seems to have strayed at the same level (which is a very good level) for the last 18 months or more, so can he be main roster bound?

But if he is, where does he fit in and do so that he doesn't end up being another Adam Rose or Bo Dallas ?

Tag team with Miz? Who's not up to much either and would go well together I think. The actor and the model.

Great show, not quite Brooklyn but every time I look at the card lately and have high hopes for the NXT show but they've kept surpassing my expectations

The tag semi-finals were hot matches, Joe will make a grand hot-tag guy even if he's not what he once was as a singles competitor. The Balor knee thing kept ya guessing about heel turns and the like, with an Owen/Bret feel to it.

Chad Gable just looked like the biggest star, that match had a fucking blinding finish and the crowd sounded loads better than usual. Was gutted that neither of the 'Proper' tag teams got through to the final but I can see why they went with Corbin & Rhyno.

Asuka's charisma is through the roof and her offence ruled. Fantastic debut. Crowd chanting "you fucked up" when Dana slapped her across the face. Full Sail can be alright sometimes.

Breeze/Crews was a fine little showcase, but yeah Breeze needs some purpose. He should be the next person to get the call-up.

Tag final match was maybe the weakest of night but still pretty grand, and the ceremony was awesome. What a cracking looking trophy.

What else to say about Bayley/Sasha. On paper 5 falls seemed a bit much but they were all well done. Bayley looked like she might cry before the match with the "women's wrestling" chants

Some minor gripes;

- could've maybe done without the roll-up fall

- Sasha going 2-0 up would've added extra drama

- with 4 seconds left, I wanted Sasha to hold out and go to sudden death

but those are really minor gripes. What they did was breathtaking. Sasha heeling on little Izzy was A-MAY-ZING. I heard some complete nob complain about how much screen time the lil lass got, but she fucking tells the story on her own. Incredible viewing.

The unanimous appreciation at the end made me proper 'motional it did. However, from now on, now that this has been done, or until they main event a WWE main-brand PPV (sigh...) these kind of emotional outbursts should probably be kept to behind the scenes docus and the like. We still like kayfabe

Edited by sj5522

I adored that main event - so much so that despite being jaded to wrestling after all of these years, that last 3 minutes of the match had my heart racing.  Amazing drama, and that near fall from Sasha hitting the belly-to-belly suplex was awesome.

The big thing I picked up on was that despite Sasha's heel work, mannerisms and tactics, she could not get a clean fall over Bayley.  She played a blinder on her way out and making sure that Bayley was the forthright hero who everyone believes in.  Damn, I don't think I love a character more than I do with Bayley at the moment.  I have genuine nerves watching her as it always looks like she is one move away from being beaten before digging deep and winning again.

• Paid Members

Great show. That's the best (and slimmest!) Samoa Joe has looked since coming in, Sasha Banks making that little girl cry automatically makes her the heel of the year and seemingly out of nowhere they've got a guy in Chad Gable who looks like he could be absolutely amazing.

• Paid Members

Right, here's my thoughts on Bayley vs Sasha, and why it's probably my match of the year so far, pipping the previous candidate which was.... probably their match at Brooklyn.

* The simple fact that I went into this match not expecting it to be as good as the previous match and it was, blew my mind. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's probably the most I've looked forward to a US match since Cena/Punk at Money In The Bank 2011, and it lived up to it. At 30 minutes it was going to be the longest women's match in company history, comfortably, but it at no point dragged and while some Iron Man matches feel a little like "stuff's happening but it's not playing a part in the story or drama, that will come at the end" - here, the whole match told one big story or at least was comprised of a couple of different stories, or chapters. Nothing felt like it was wasted. People want to talk about how much chance the girls get to practice and plan their matches, but I couldn't care less. A match is good or it isn't, and I thought this was awesome.

* They didn't go overboard with the mush when it when it was time to get real, bell-to-bell. Despite the fact that them blatantly being friends in real life has seeped into the TV, they still went gung ho with Sasha as her "BO$$" character, obnoxious, arrogant and doing anything it takes it to win, and I BELIEVED it. It was stark contrast to some other feuds WWE have run which started off from a real-life animosity and yet I didn't buy into, feeling "this is just a wrestling angle" and yet here I bought into this battle in spite of knowing that in real life they're BFFs. That stands out in my mind.

* The first fall was splendid bitch heeling, the LED screen stuff felt novel as a means of stealing a fall. Bayley fighting from underneath as the underdog babyface and only ever actually leading in the dying embers of the match was exactly how the match needed to be booked with the doubt as to whether Bayley was actually as good as Sasha, or whether she had just been good enough on that one night. I actually thought Bayley's expressions in the opening moments of the match were portraying quite a lot of self-doubt, and if that was intentional then kudos, job done and done well. Catching the tope suicida and hitting the Bayley-to-Belly on the floor was a nice twist, Bayley working Sasha's hand was a great callback to Brooklyn (and of course was instrumental in the finish), the reverse rana with almost the opposite outcome popped me big time and best of all, Sasha catching and countering Bayley's kicking out at her in the corner while she was getting trash-talked was a splendid revisit and reversal of one of my favourite moments from the Brooklyn match. There were loads of great little moments.

* When Sasha went after Izzy, I totally goosebumped all over at how good a heel Sasha was being. Watching at my desk with my headphones on I actually exclaimed "Oh, you fucking bitch" to myself and for a second worried my colleague sat opposite thought I was talking to her. Sasha just completely "gets it" in terms of how to work a crowd and be a cunt. She's in my top 5 in the world to enjoy watching, without doubt, and yet even though I rate her so highly and love watching her, I've got no qualms in hoping for the hero to beat her in the end when the hero is as good as Bayley at being the hero. I love to hate Sasha.

* The finish rocked my world. It was art to me. I bought that Bayley was fucked, but then when she held on and rolled out of the cross-armed lung blower, grapevined the first arm and looked like she was going for the Rings of Saturn, I got goosebumps because it was so smooth a reversal (without looking too "ballet") and working the arm was going to tie in to what inevitably was the go-home. However, when Bayley went for the fingers, I absolutely nearly welled up. The sheer storytelling of "she worked the hand, she went for the hand to break the Bank Statement, going for the hand is going to win her the match" was one thing, but tying in to the doubts (at least that had entered my mind) of "Can Bayley be as vicious as Sasha and also do WHATEVER it takes to win?" - it hit me really hard. It was beautiful. Wrestling done right is more story than sport and this was a pay off like I haven't seen for years. There's something wrong with me because wrestling done well enough genuinely moves me, and this did.

Deserved to main event. Fabulous match. I could pinpoint a couple of things that might have made it even better, minor tweaks, but I can't be bothered to mention them and detract from how good the match actually was. I want to watch it again right now. Five stars for me.

^Great write-up

There's something wrong with me because wrestling done well enough genuinely moves me, and this did.

I have a small excuse as i'm one of those women they have nowadays, but I was welling up about a third of the way through the Brooklyn match the first time, seeing 16 thousand or so people going absolutely ballistic for a women's match was not something I ever anticipated seeing, could've only dreamt of it. The women's NXT matches have been pretty great since the first special, but nothing could have prepared me for this programme. These matches turned me into an emotional, marky mess, even though I 'knew' who was going to win. What an achievement.

Edited by sj5522

• Awards Moderator

What an incredible show.

A few thoughts: I fancy the pants off Asuka, but she ain't 'alf panto. Looking forward to seeing her work WWE style.

I thought similar to others about Tyler Breeze. There's no chance he's going to Raw to be anything other than midcard fodder. He's such a great fit at NXT.

Corbin looked really good out there. Good pacing, confident and threatening.

I fucking HATED Sasha for stealing Izzy's headband. It was so out of order! Sasha is just the best, I cannot fathom how good she is at her experience level.

Yep, another jabroni in tears here at the end. Such a stunning match with no stalling or low points. Perfectly booked, perfectly wrestled. Competes with their previous for match of the year.

Couple  of other notes that have happened so far at the tapings besides that debut

Apollo Crews wins a number 1 contender's battle royal which will main event next week's episode

The same match ends the Corbin/Rhyno partnership and they resume their feud with a match on the 21st Oct episode

They also appear to be setting up Alexa Bliss as Bayley's next challenger

• Paid Members

I thought Dana did well in her match with Asuka. Comparing her to when she first debuted, she's come on leaps and bounds.

Overall, great show, and wasn't expecting anything less. That main event was well told and like previously mentioned, just flew over. A gripe with me though: WWE constantly referring to it as an iron man match.

Last night's show is vying for Show Of The Year so far, with Ultima Lucha. Every match was a solid good to great, and the main event was off the charts again. There are no bullshit storylines, no nonsensical booking, and everyone there works hard. How can the main roster PPVs, if we accept that main roster TV is a lost cause (and I don't think it is), not learn from this?

Its funny, if you go to the top of the food chain you'll see the likes of Kevin Dunn and Vince McMahon. The Alex Greenfield impersonations of Dunn just encapsulates the picture, just nodding his head constantly!

The buck stops there and now they're pretty fucked right now. I can't wait for the rating when the Patriots play the Cowboys on a Monday night that week! Fans have tuned out already, and they're getting what they deserve in essence the company. It's not pretty to watch we know and so many other alternatives including NXT.

The way I look at it is Hunter knows exactly what he's doing. He's helped kickstart a fresh NXT brand from the original, and the packaging is not only encouraging, but it's set a standard on Hunter's clear vision coming out of the WWE sub brand. I can't help think that if within 5 years things either stay the same, or replaces Smackdown down the line, Vince Jnr and Dunn are the primary figures that hold the majority of the cards against a new era being let loose in the future. Somethings got to give eventually.