Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

Wrestle Me works at their absolute peak when their both a bit tired and delirious combined with them covering say Bash at the Beach '95 or comparing Michael Hayes to a dog that halfway transformed into human form. I think they even state themselves covering the modern stuff they get less chance to be more surreal. Still really brilliant, OSW is still very good too but that's due to just being so used to them around.

The sweet spot was The New Generation Project. God I miss them.

I'm remember when I used to be able to get Absolute Radio on my FM radio in my old car and Pete was talking about how he was going to do a wrestling podcast with a mate of his...

I sometimes don't agree with some of their takes, for instance they kinda lost me for a little bit when they shit on the excellent Lex Luger/Dan Spivey match from WrestleWar '91, but they are very funny. It was such an easy and obvious one, but the video they put up yesterday where they talk about Vader becoming the Man They Call Vader in the WWF because Vince couldn't have someone just come in under their existing name to get over. Then it goes to credits and everyone in them are the Man They Call Marc and the Man They Call Pete.

2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I haven’t enjoyed them as much this year, and not sure why exactly. But I used to look forward to a new episode dropping and would prioritise it.

That’s fair enough, you can’t help fatigue and maybe a break will have you feeling more enthusiastic about it again - I dipped out of the Luke and Pete Show for a while for similar reasons and loved it again when I came back to it. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chili said:

or comparing Michael Hayes to a dog that halfway transformed into human form.

It’s the little throwaway bits like this that will always keep me coming back to Wrestle Me. There was one on their YouTube channel not too long ago where they said Gary Michael Capetta looked like Rose West and then this popped up on my screen…

IMG-5051.jpg

I was howling. 

But yeah I really miss the New Gen guys. By the time I got around to listening to them it had already long finished but I was gutted when I finished the last episode and had no more to look forward to. 

1 hour ago, davertfnewman said:

I sometimes don't agree with some of their takes, for instance they kinda lost me for a little bit when they shit on the excellent Lex Luger/Dan Spivey match from WrestleWar '91, but they are very funny.

Yeah, big fan of that match. Maybe my favourite ‘shouldn’t have been good but was’ match ever. Love Wrestle Me but I can’t get on with the Luger vs Spivey slander. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedTwoster said:

That’s fair enough, you can’t help fatigue and maybe a break will have you feeling more enthusiastic about it again - I dipped out of the Luke and Pete Show for a while for similar reasons and loved it again when I came back to it. 

Absolutely. At least it’s an episode a week so when I sign up again at Christmas I’ll have a nice back catalog plus Wrestle Me-mus so even if I just stay for the month I’ll have my moneys worth. Unfortunately I find the news letter a hard thing to read so I don’t even get that benefit (plus I know they are way behind on those anyway).

• Paid Members

Any recs for book podcasts? something along the lines of 'If books could kill' where they break down shitey books like the blind side & all Michael Lewis's rubbish, but without the smarm levels of its two hosts, who have disappeared up their own holes the last few pods.

I've become a bit jaded with podcasts in general lately & have found myself going back to audiobooks. Bob Mortimer's autobiography is my go to to cheer meself up after a crap day!

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, DCW said:

Any recs for book podcasts? something along the lines of 'If books could kill' where they break down shitey books like the blind side & all Michael Lewis's rubbish, but without the smarm levels of its two hosts, who have disappeared up their own holes the last few pods.

I've become a bit jaded with podcasts in general lately & have found myself going back to audiobooks. Bob Mortimer's autobiography is my go to to cheer meself up after a crap day!

I don't have a 1:1 replacement in mind, but on the fiction books side, if you're into either Stephen King or genre fiction then Ranged Touch has some stuff for you. Just King Things is going through all of Stephen King's books in publication order (one a month) and in Shelved By Genre they're going through various genre series like Book of the New Sun, Earthsea, or Junji Ito's various works.

On the "learning about something awful" side then Behind The Bastards is a great listen. Former Cracked writer going through terrible people/situations from history, did a six-part on Vince McMahon that was pretty good.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, DCW said:

Slightly different theme but Book Cheat is a fun Aussie podcast that takes a classic book each episode, one person covers what it's about like a book report and the others jump in with silly questions and tangents.

1 hour ago, RedTwoster said:

I know there are a few people here who listen to the Beef and Dairy Network podcast, and the St Elwick’s Newsletter podcast - does anyone have any recommendations for something similar that might scratch my surrealist comedy itch? Or just my comedy itch in general?

I presume you've already listened to Three Bean Salad?

I really enjoyed Dial F For Football. You don't even need to be into football, it's just the setting really.

"A comedy series that goes behind the scenes of the most popular fictional sport radio station in the country - Totalsport FM."

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, RedTwoster said:

I know there are a few people here who listen to the Beef and Dairy Network podcast, and the St Elwick’s Newsletter podcast - does anyone have any recommendations for something similar that might scratch my surrealist comedy itch? Or just my comedy itch in general?

Comedy Bang Bang?