Philo_Vance

The cookery thread

Mushrooms and kale in a red wine sauce and prawn linguine in a white wine and saffron sauce. Both quick and delicious for a week night.

Doing the remainder of the red wine sauce with some boneless fried chicken I have left for lunch in the world's dirtiest coq au vin later.

20190131_194931.jpg

20190130_190056.jpg

Edited by Gus Mears

Chocolate truffle cookies. Bloody lovely. Choccy, almondy, crisp outside and soft inside.

image.thumb.png.92b9b8f4ee38c8fd2fd1c5b72590b32b.png

image.thumb.png.2a614c4c1f4598c5e046a7898dacc325.png

Very simple to make if anyone fancies a go.

80g Plain flour, 80g caster sugar, 25g Cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 25g butter, 1 egg, 10ml amaretto (I swapped for almond extract as I didn't have any), Icing sugar

Sift your flour, chocolate and baking powder. Mix in the sugar. Chop up and rub in the butter until all the lumps have disappeared and you've got like dark sand. Mix the egg and amaretto together and then stir in and bring together as a dough. Mine was a bit wet so added a touch more flour. Chill in the fridge for 45 mins. Pull off little balls (3cm diameter or so) and roll them in your icing sugar so they resemble truffles, then pop on a lined tray and bake for about 10-12 mins at 180 (fan).

Makes about 6 cookies so could double up the ingredients. I'm gonna make mint choc versions next time.

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Chocolate truffle cookies. Bloody lovely. Choccy, almondy, crisp outside and soft inside.

image.thumb.png.92b9b8f4ee38c8fd2fd1c5b72590b32b.png

image.thumb.png.2a614c4c1f4598c5e046a7898dacc325.png

Very simple to make if anyone fancies a go.

80g Plain flour, 80g caster sugar, 25g Cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 25g butter, 1 egg, 10ml amaretto (I swapped for almond extract as I didn't have any), Icing sugar

Sift your flour, chocolate and baking powder. Mix in the sugar. Chop up and rub in the butter until all the lumps have disappeared and you've got like dark sand. Mix the egg and amaretto together and then stir in and bring together as a dough. Mine was a bit wet so added a touch more flour. Chill in the fridge for 45 mins. Pull off little balls (3cm diameter or so) and roll them in your icing sugar so they resemble truffles, then pop on a lined tray and bake for about 10-12 mins at 180 (fan).

Makes about 6 cookies so could double up the ingredients. I'm gonna make mint choc versions next time.

Now that's definitely something I'm going to try making in the next couple of months, once I've got the bread-baking down. Thanks very much for posting that recipe, rick. Exactly the kind of thing I want to be able to make eventually.

Defrosting / reheating question. 

I forgot to get a tub of frozen veggies out of the freezer for tonights tea. Am I OK in reheating it from frozen? or am I best off gently defrosting in the microwave or even worse, having to let it defrost on the worktop?

Cheers 

Edited by Silky Kisser

16 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

You cook them from frozen anyway don’t you?

Nah, it's fresh veg that I batch cooked, then froze in portions. 

That's all that frozen veg is, so I can't see why you couldn't just boil it/roast it etc from frozen like you would if it was from the supermarket. 

No issues there @Silky Kisser. Nothing harmful in frozen cooked veg so cook away. It's only really meat and dairy where you need to defrost steadily to avoid the worst bugs.

Edited by Onyx2

Simple looking peice of lasagne from last night. Chuffed though as I made the lasagne a ocuple of weeks ago and froze it. Missus then just got it out last night and cooked it from frozen for an hour and a half. exactly the sort of change I wanted to make to our lifestyle. Made good use of the freezer and got healthy, home cooked food conveniently.

it was bloody gorgeous too. I didn't bother cooking the pasta sheets this time. last time they stuck together and they expanded so I had to cut them to bits. this time, just chucked the dry pasta sheets in and it came out fantastic so that was a waste of fucking time :)

image.png.537d05a394407efec31599d596064828.png

Me again. made another batch of Maids of Honour. Did 6 traditional (lemon) and then 6 with raspberry jam and iced them to show the difference. Iced them when still a bit warm but they were still fantastic.

image.png.b26fff4f7a4208703bc3b5461bbf503a.png

Here's a bite!

image.png.3f546a7abf6e55b2c1e7d942354ab344.png

Made a veggie lasagne for the freezer. Did it the same as my bolognese but instead of mince, I used roasted courgette, sweet potato and carrot. Looking forward to digging this bad boy out.

image.png.f5be1ca806472ce1e9f57a1aeda22328.png

Last one. Made these "hidden veg" sausage rolls. They're made with Filo pastry, half low fat sausages and half grated carrot and courgette and lentils. Only 51 calories each (about 5cm long). Fucking disgusting. To be fair, it didn't suggest an egg wash or anything so they look shit too.

image.png.10ee716761acfd63c7c7e73cd6f93b1b.png

Few bits from me over the last week. Top left is a leek and potato fritatta (with red pepper and feta) that I made for lunches. Next to it is a batch of spinach and ricotta rolls I made. Pre-made puff pastry but otherwise just cooked and cooled the spinach and mixed about 200g (pre cooked weight) with 250g of ricotta, 100g feta and some nutmeg and Italian seasoning. Bit of egg wash and parmesan on the top.

The two bottom pics are home made fudge. My missus loves fudge so I made it for Valentine's day obviously. Was hard work to constantly stir while trying to get it up to 115 degrees c but I was chuffed with the result. It was a bit too sweet in the end and I wish I'd used brown sugar for a better colour but a good effort if i say so myself.

image.thumb.png.5649fb17918c34c2b8588bd20db9ccb7.png

I ordered from a US website called nuts.com a while ago and it's just arrived. I was looking for the mint choc chips to use in cookies and brownies and could only find them in the US. Given the postage was over $10, I thought I'd fill up the order. The balls are Coffee & Cream malted milk balls. They're really good although it's that fake yank chocolate so could be better. Mini peanut butter cups which the kids love. Also got Astronaut ice cream (pic below). That's weird stuff. It's rock hard to bite but then as it melts in your mouth, you get a really authentic flavour. Crazy shit.

image.thumb.png.b6e6427a2e7eb93baca40d333a21155c.png

image.png.a67633265dbc201dd4dea029b9447d89.png

Edited by tiger_rick

29 minutes ago, ThommoLincs said:

Basically, I have a fiver budget for tonights tea.

No food in the house so need to buy everything. Ideally want to cook something for one from scratch. 

Any suggestions?

Spag bol

Probably too late now but spaghetti and tomato sauce make sense. I'd drop the meat if youve only got a fiver. Buy a piece of Grana Padano instead.