Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

Bennos gloriously factual post

Love this stuff, thanks for posting the graph. The thing is though, most of TV is showing similar downward trends, most notably in sport too with the NFL and Premier League viewing figures seeing notable drops. I think generally people just arent watching TV in the ways they used to, and conventional methods of monitoring viewers cant pick it up. Whether its streaming or simply being put off by high subscription charges. I can see fundamental changes occuring in TV within the next 10 years, there will be a move towards people only paying for the stuff they watch. SKY charging blanket prices for large packages that include 300 channels already feels outdated, I personally watch around 10-15 channels over the course of a year, thats so much waste that youre paying for. As far as the WWE and major brands, this probably means a move to a more fluid subscription system like the network but something that houses everything, so you can pay for WWE, NFL and Premier League and just watch that rather than multiple other things youll never watch. They'd have to sell it hard though.

• Paid Members

Yeah there's definitely truth in that. I also think there's likely a good number of the likes of us in here who are silent Sky Sports subscribers, who don't necessarily always watch or tape Raw, but would fume if Sky dropped WWE cold.

It'd be interesting to compare the Monday Night football figures over time to WWE. I might do that next. One thing I did notice though, was despite the dip, WWE dominate whichever Sky Sports channel they're shoved on (It's 5 now but it has rotated across 2, 3 and 4 in the past - a massive pain when collating those figures.)

Its not an exact study, but even comparing the last week in this January, with January's in the past, they've been kings of the Top 10 for their channel.

56Uoctq.jpg

pAthpf6.jpg

cWS0ofC.jpg

ChtdWmD.jpg

Edited by Benno

That's pretty crazy considering that sky sports don't advertise that they have WWE,

Personally I don't have sky sports, and watch highlights of the shows on youtube, because its free and I dont watch any others sport so it'd be a waste of money.

• Paid Members

I think Jesse Ventura could have beaten Trump if he had ran against him. The press have really gone out of their way to discredit him in recent years and he seems to have given up on politics. Been watching a lot of his stuff lately and the bloke is brilliant.

When he ran for Govenor he did it as a third party on a budget of $300000 while the Democrats and Republicans had a budget of $12000000. Can't remember if that's each or combined. Two months before the elections he had 10% of the voters backing him, he was allowed to join the debates and won everyone over. Pretty sure he is the only person to have done that.

Imagine if Vince had put money into Ventura for President instead of Linda's failure.

I was reading this post and thinking "Maxwell is talking a load of shite here," and then I realized that Trump, a far less credible person, is the president. And then I cried a little bit in my breakfast. So, thanks, Maxwell, you made me cry and ruined my sandwich.

• Paid Members

Interesting stuff Benno. We may grumble about mining Attitude Era stars rather than creating new ones, but you can't argue with Goldberg moving the needle.

Well you can argue with it... they wouldn't need Goldberg to move the needle occasionally if they had a young full timer filling the Goldberg role every week. I'm sure WWE would rather have ratings up higher all year round

Roman Reigns?

I'd have always ruled out Ventura because of his 9/11 conspiracy claims, but we now live in a world where I can easily overlook something like that if it means getting the loofa-faced shitgibbon out of the White House.

And at least Jesse might shut up about that stuff once he had access to all the government's records ("or were they destroyed???!?!?").

I actually think a lot of the American public would vote for him on the back of his 9/11 rants, Ventura being president would give an definitive end to all the questions. Quite a lot of the American public think something is wrong with the story. He'd also get the gun nut demographic, the anti-war demographic, pro-drug demographic and the wrestling fans. He is also a War Veteran which Americans would go tits for. That combined is enough to have put him in with a good chance against the Giant Douche and Turd Sandwhich. Edited by UK Kat Von D

Yeah there's definitely truth in that. I also think there's likely a good number of the likes of us in here who are silent Sky Sports subscribers, who don't necessarily always watch or tape Raw, but would fume if Sky dropped WWE cold.

It'd be interesting to compare the Monday Night football figures over time to WWE. I might do that next. One thing I did notice though, was despite the dip, WWE dominate whichever Sky Sports channel they're shoved on (It's 5 now but it has rotated across 2, 3 and 4 in the past - a massive pain when collating those figures.)

Its not an exact study, but even comparing the last week in this January, with January's in the past, they've been kings of the Top 10 for their channel.

56Uoctq.jpg

pAthpf6.jpg

cWS0ofC.jpg

ChtdWmD.jpg

Yeah, when negotiating this stuff, Sky and WWEs guys will be comparing their figures against everything else on their channels and others' channels. Youre right about silent subscribers too, i record every week but rarely watch.

Mr E makes a good point about advertising too, I cant remember seeing Sky advertise RAW or SD in atleast 5 years despite it being one of their most popular shows. Especially when you consider how hard Sky advertise their live sport and what not, you'd have thought running an advert in a quiet spot letting people know both shows are on live would be worthwhile.

They do advertise it a lot on the Facebook Page

The Comments are as expected to be avoided though, REAL sports fans weigh in with the "it isn't sport get it of these pages" rants and feel like they are letting us in on some big secret when they announce loudly and proudly ''ITS FAKE YOU KNOW''  

What they fail to realise or take on board is the Sky Sports page is a Sky Sports TV Channel page so they are well within there rights to advertise and discuss WWE as they show the product and the Page is not solely a SPORTS news page.

Braun Strowman's current Instagram story is clips of him watching a band, they play a cover of Foo Fighters which you can clearly hear Braun singing along too. Just incredible. His name is adamscherr99 on there for anyone interested in this excitement.

• Paid Members

Would it be that they'd stop dealing, or just stick it on a different channel if it wasn't cost effective to keep it on Sky Sports. I guess it'd depend on whether they could demonstrate that it was actually shifting Sky Sports subscriptions. How are the PPV buys going and how much of that do Sky get? I'd imagine that'd be the clincher of whether they'd want to keep dealing with the WWE. Maybe BT would swoop in if the rights came up for negotiation.

• Paid Members

You'd think nobody is buying PPV's with the Network but they must do with Sky still offering them. There just must be people who want it on their telly no matter the cost, especially come Rumble/Mania time. Can't imagine they're a difference maker though.

When the rights came up last time, it was when BT Sports had just got going and were bidding on absolutely everything. I know Meltzer said Sky paid over the odds to secure the a contract renewal for that reason, but I'm not sure how serious BT were. You'd imagine they'll be a factor again in 2019 though.

Edited by Benno

You'd think nobody is buying PPV's with the Network but they must do with Sky still offering them. There just must be people who want it on their telly no matter the cost, especially come Rumble/Mania time. Can't imagine they're a difference maker though.

Also people who can't get a decent Internet connection.