Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

I watched an episode of Raw because Hulk Hogan was going to blow candles out on his birthday cake. I mean that is my current level of interest. An old bloke taking a yellow shirt off to reveal a black one. That's no way to live your life.

Haha

I'm strictly a Royal Rumble, WrestleMania and SummerSlam man these days. Used to watch everything all the time. I can't cut off completely though, I still keep up with what's going on through here (which is kind of odd I guess, keeping tabs on something you hardly ever even watch), but I always like to know what's happening.

Aside from that, I just very rarely feel motivated to watch. I see bits and pieces sometimes when I go around to my sister's because my nephews are big into their wrestling. That's it.

It's not even that I've outgrown wrestling because now and then I'll still go on YouTube and end up watching a bunch of old stuff. I just can't get into the new stuff unless someone like Cena, Bryan, Lesnar etc are on.

All I really bother with now are shoot interviews and Austin's podcast.

Still odd to think that there's a lot of people that may have stopped watching, but still frequent wrestling boards.

I find that strange as well, especially for ten years. Subscribing to Meltzer but not watching the TV is like not watching Eastenders and Corrie for a decade but still buying the soap magazines. To be fair, I suppose a lot of people who had only had a passing interest in the shows still kept up with Bruce Jones turning into a destitute alcoholic in The Sun and all that. And obviously, everyone who isn't an idiot gaylord lost interest in football when they hit puberty in the mid-nineties, but they still perk their ears up at the scandals. And everyone's mad on Yewtree. People love a bit of sleaze involving celebrities from something they cared about when they were kids, I suppose. I just find it hard to imagine keeping up with the sleaze and recaps for so long and not watching the thing.

The level of dedication involved in downloading podcasts and subscribing to newsletters and stuff tied to a product you don't watch anymore has to be a thing somewhat unique to wrestling, right? I can't picture there being many people who haven't watched boxing since Lennox Lewis retired but still put hours a week into following it and listening to interviews etc.

I sympathise with all this.

I stopped watching WWE after Benoit, but also because (although it was probably a necessary thing to happen), the PG era just wasn't for me.  Plus, Impact was on Freeview, and was pretty bloody good a lot of the time.

Since TNA started to fall off the edge, I lost interest, and around the same time (running up to WM this year) a few things just peaked my interest.  You had new guys actually coming through - The Shield mainly.  I've been really impressed with Ambrose and Rollins, whenever they have a match I get that HHH/Rock in 98 kind of feeling, like I'm watching the future.

BUT...  boy, it's hard work.  Just getting through 3 hours of Raw is a chore most weeks.  NXT on occasion.  You can forget about Smackdown.

Partly, it's because I'm older, but I work from home right now so actually I can watch plenty of telly.  There's just too little stretched too thin.  If WWE did 2 one-hour shows a week (plus NXT) then I think generally the whole product would get better.

I didn't say it would be better business.  But it would be a better watch.  They could do with sacking a bunch of midcarders to be honest, there is some real dross.

Agree with most of that Loki but as much of a sucker I am for one hour shows, WWE should have Raw as a two hour show. If TNA/Impact Wrestling play their cards right then they could have a nice 2 hour show going but ideally they'd revert back to 60 minutes for the next couple of years. With Raw, Smackdown, Impact, NXT and Lucha Underground, that's nine hours a week of television before PPV's. It's no surprise why they can't keep wrestlers fresh and the shows 'must see'. No wonder it's felt like Groundhog Day for the past ten years.

Edited by Undefeated Steak

I didn't say it would be better business.  But it would be a better watch.

I suppose, in the grimly fascinating sense of "who can't they afford to pay this week?" watching the big names bury the company on the way out. Stephanie holding onto Hogan's leg as he hobbled off the sinking ship would be a highlight.

Still odd to think that there's a lot of people that may have stopped watching, but still frequent wrestling boards.

I started watching from 1989 through to 1997 and ten didn't start watching again until the early part of 2013. In that time I still watched old stuff but didn't keep upto speed with anything new until up until 2007 when I started buying magazines again and found this forum. 

These days I skip through Raw every week, watch the PPV's usually on fast forward, always sit and watch Wrestlemania and generally pick up what I need to know from here or FSM. I still buy DVDs but they're from traders and are of the old stuff. I could tell you more about what happened 25 years ago than what happened in the last 5 years. It is strange how you can be a fan but you don't need to be hardcore about it.