Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

That is a ridiculous question. Unless you've never seen either move.

Edit: I can't really fathom someone on a wrestling forum having not seen an FU/AA since 2004. Not even on YouTube or adverts? How?

Edit 2: And even then, wouldn't you just go on YouTube to find out anyway? I dunno, not having a go, just a bit odd.

Edited by Sphinx

• Paid Members

That is a ridiculous question. Unless you've never seen either move.

Edit: I can't really fathom someone on a wrestling forum having not seen an FU/AA since 2004. Not even on YouTube or adverts? How?

Edit 2: And even then, wouldn't you just go on YouTube to find out anyway? I dunno, not having a go, just a bit odd.

A1: I watched wrestling from 1987 until 1992. Then from 1997 until 2003. I still keep up to speed with news, etc (through here & Observer), but don't actually watch WWE anymore. I have seen the FU the odd time in passing but never really took note of it; I just remembered it being similar to the F5 - was a legit question.

A2: I just looked on Youtube and saw them a minute ago - never thought of looking it up before because it never popped into my head while at my PC, and also would have assumed WWE removes most clips from Youtube, especially of it's top 2 stars. So I actually did think it'd be quicker to just ask here.

Sorry for bothering you with my question. I just remember the setups being the same - but couldn't remember how the FU actually landed.

Edited by herbie747

• Paid Members

Herbie is one in a long list of people who stopped watching. He certainly isn't the only one. When Herbie checked out RAW was still doing 5 million people a week. Wrestling just got less interesting to a lot of people. Myself included. I've seen 2 PPVs and 3 episodes of RAW (fast forwarded through, mind you) since WrestleMania. I just cant be arsed with it at the minute. Dont know why now is so special. Its been worse over the years, but now I've totally checked out. I generally catch up on my wrestling through animated gifs these days.

I watched an episode of Raw because Hulk Hogan was going to blow candles out on his birthday cake. I mean that is my current level of interest. An old bloke taking a yellow shirt off to reveal a black one. That's no way to live your life.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I just lost interest around that time. When RAW started becoming something I didn't want to watch immediately (i.e. it sat on my SKY planner for a few days), and it felt like a chore to get through, I realised I wasn't into it anymore. I guess it just stopped being exciting for me around that time too - 2003/2004. Can't really put my finger on it. I still followed it though.

I launched TWC in 2004 too, so felt overloaded with wrestling around that time too, which didn't help - there was stuff I had to watch for work reasons each week, and was doing 10-12hr days for the first few months. And I was involved with IWW, made regular trips to FWA and other UK shows, and started getting back into watching UFC too, which I'd followed from 1997 (when Shamrock came to WWF) until 2001.

So obviously from running TWC and going to shows, I was still heavily involved and surrounded by wrestling in general - I just wasn't watching WWE. 

I do think the product got really lame though - pretty much after the Invasion ended, there was nothing I felt like following.

Edited by herbie747

• Paid Members

Herbie is one in a long list of people who stopped watching. He certainly isn't the only one. When Herbie checked out RAW was still doing 5 million people a week. Wrestling just got less interesting to a lot of people. Myself included. I've seen 2 PPVs and 3 episodes of RAW (fast forwarded through, mind you) since WrestleMania. I just cant be arsed with it at the minute. Dont know why now is so special. Its been worse over the years, but now I've totally checked out. I generally catch up on my wrestling through animated gifs these days.

Yeah, I watched this years Wrestlemania - it was the first one since Brock vs Goldberg years ago (not sure what number that one was - but it was the last show I watched); may have even been the night before TWC went live.

I watched both HBK vs Taker WM matches the day after they happened. And Jericho vs HBK. And maybe an Angle match around 2005 (with HBK?). That's it since 2004. Then this year's HOF & Wrestlemania Live.

Edited by herbie747

That's fair enough. At least you've watched a bit and know the product isn't to your taste. I read the previous post as you never having watched any at all since 2004. Ian I watch WWE about as much as you, it's a shame when even us 'hardcore' fans reach a point where we hold our hands up and say that's enough I can't take watching this anymore. If it wasn't for Lucha Underground and to a certain extent NXT, I wouldn't watch any current wrestling. Oh, animated GIFs and Austin's podcasts too, naturally. 

• Paid Members

That's fair enough. At least you've watched a bit and know the product isn't to your taste. I read the previous post as you never having watched any at all since 2004. Ian I watch WWE about as much as you, it's a shame when even us 'hardcore' fans reach a point where we hold our hands up and say that's enough I can't take watching this anymore. If it wasn't for Lucha Underground and to a certain extent NXT, I wouldn't watch any current wrestling. Oh, animated GIFs and Austin's podcasts too, naturally. 

I checked out Lucha Underground and it's great. Puma is amazing. WWE missed the boat there. Austins podcasts are great as well. And the gifs on here...

I empathise with feeling like it was less special in 2003/2004. There was some real dross in the mid-noughties following those years too. I caught bits from after 2004, but there was so much lame stuff going on. I started watching regularly again in 2010.

Still odd to think that there's a lot of people that may have stopped watching, but still frequent wrestling boards. And that you've managed to keep away from seeing the biggest wrestler in the world's finish for 10 years. I could understand if Linus hadn't seen it as he took a hiatus from posting and would never be able to watch YouTube through his dial-up connection.

I perhaps came across a bit confrontational when asking about it. That weren't my intention, just puzzled.

Edited by Sphinx

• Paid Members

I have seen it a few times over the years though (mostly through ads for their computer games as opposed to their TV shows, oddly enough) - just not enough to distinguish it from the F5. That's why I thought they were similar.

Edit: Oh, and I downloaded the Old School RAW episode. And the match where Sheamus won the title for the first time. And the RAW where the Muppets were guest hosts. And CM Punk's "shoot" promo on RAW from a few years ago. And I think that's definitely it since 2004.

Edited by herbie747