Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

I'm with Carbomb on this one. And Val Venis sprang to mind before I read him mention him. I don't believe there's nothing you can do with that character. You could shed more light on his character for one thing which will make him more dimensional.

Edited by Sphinx

• Paid Members
I agree there was a ton of things TNA could've done to flesh him out, he came in with a decent look and character to build on but never did, Matt Morgan as his muscle was a strange fit since neither seemed to be working together, Ryan was doing not much and Morgan was feuding with Hogan...but Hulk never knew it

Morgan was beyond useless, and I say this as someone who really, really wanted him to be better. Giving him a feud with Hogan, giving him Hogan's robe, giving him any kind of push at all was a big mistake. I get that they probably thought "Right, he's had some advice from people who know what they're doing now, so he'll change up his style and behave like someone his size would, so let's give him one last push to see if we can finally do something with him".

But, to be absolutely frank, in retrospect, he might have been better off as a Diesel to Ryan's HBK (not in talent, obviously, just in character dynamic), and going no further than the bodyguard role. Problem is I can't think of anyone else in TNA he might have suited as a bodyguard - it's the kind of thing you give a chickenshit heel. They made a big deal about Austin Aries standing up for himself and being self-reliant, so he wouldn't employ a bodyguard, Kaz and Daniels could use him, but they just don't need him - he'd probably have ended up dragging them down. None of the main-eventers needed him, and the only midcarders who would have used him are the Bro-Mans, and Robbie E's already had that gimmick with Robbie T.

Yeah I always liked Morgan despite being so crap most of the time,you could tell he really wanted to be a top guy but didnt know what he was missing to get there, the feud with Hogan may have worked if it went anywhere other than Morgan badmouthing him and Hulk ignoring him, and the fact that at the time pretty much all the heels were trying to feud with Hulk so none of them stood out

There's no bigger disappointment in the modern era than Matt Morgan. He was an incredible physical specimen, really fast for a big man, intelligent and full of personality.

He just lacked that indefinable quality that makes you want to watch, or care about, a wrestler. His matches were never memorable, they never felt exciting, his promos felt like an actor playing a wrestler...

I always associate him with Nathan Jones, as they both appeared at the same time. Nathan had none of Morgan's athletic talents, but was immediately a character that you felt could have shifted tickets. If Morgan has had any of Jones' sense of danger and realism, he'd have been a huge star.

Oddly enough I was watching the Nathan Jones vingettes the other day, why was he brought in as a green rookie (I know in real life he was) face getting trained by Taker when his promo's pretty much said 'he comes this superstrong, lunatic that really has been to jail' which would make him a monster heel oddly enough to go against Taker, Lesnar at the time etc

Cause he was crap they should've waited to bring him on tv when he was better (I doubt he'd get great) but he might've been better than Khali, I did like him being part of Lesnars 'Monstars' team at Series 03

There's no bigger disappointment in the modern era than Matt Morgan. He was an incredible physical specimen, really fast for a big man, intelligent and full of personality.

I tell you what was really fast about him - his speech.

I'd say Ryback is a bigger disappointment.

• Paid Members

Morgan showed the odd glimpse of greatness once in a while, which was what made him so fucking frustrating to watch. I've mentioned this before, but he had the ability come across as natural on the mike at times, talking like a normal person with charisma, and one of the times that stands out is when Flair challenged him to a match. He just stood there, looking nonplussed, and said "A match with you? Sure, it's on my bucket list, why not?" You could feel the "OOOOOOH, oh no he dittent" from the crowd (I even found myself saying it while watching), and Flair's reaction was brilliant, looking yet again like he was going to explode before slapping him ("I gotcha bucket list right here!").

That was in the days when I thought "Right, he's finally going to live up to his early promise". How wrong I was.

Matt Morgan just couldn't put the pieces of the puzzle together when given a chance. If ever he was going to make it, it would have been in late 09 in that singles programme with Angle. He did get his best match out of it - but he was still doing the stupid shit a man of his size shouldn't have been doing. Seriously, how hard would it have been to work like a big man? If he wanted to do some of the flashier stuff, save it for the big shows and matches once you're over as a big man, not whilst you're getting there.

But all of the blame can't go on him. Some of his booking in WWE (Being given Lesnar's finisher, stuttering) and TNA (Where to begin?) was the pits.

Edited by TheShowOff

I think Matt's just a guy that was never given a proper steer, or at least when it mattered during the early days of his career. Bear in mind he came through OVW when it mattered more who was putting the ring up than who was learning.

I was around him at shows where he was half joking about just doing a Taker/Kane/Big Show medley as he didn't know what else to do.

That said surely his time in TNA gave him the chance to pick Angle's brains, assuming he was in a cooperative state at that time. Maybe it just wasn't for him.

• Paid Members
I think Matt's just a guy that was never given a proper steer, or at least when it mattered during the early days of his career. Bear in mind he came through OVW when it mattered more who was putting the ring up than who was learning.

I was around him at shows where he was half joking about just doing a Taker/Kane/Big Show medley as he didn't know what else to do.

That said surely his time in TNA gave him the chance to pick Angle's brains, assuming he was in a cooperative state at that time. Maybe it just wasn't for him.

He'd spent a few years around the best before going to TNA, not to mention that, if there was anyone who was going to teach him to work like a big man, it was Taker/Kane/Show. You say he joked about doing a medley of their stuff, but he might have been well-advised to do that. Back in the day, there was a guy who's pretty much a regular on the BritWres scene now who had a main with another established name, and most of his stuff involved him ripping off subtleties from The Rock and making them his own. The match went down a storm, and no-one noticed or cared about the plagiarism, they were into it that much.

As to picking Angle's brains, maybe, but he should've been picking Hogan's. If there's anyone who should know how giants work, it's him. On his last run, he seemed to be picking up something of a clue by wrestling like a giant, but he was clearly missing something else.

Edited by Carbomb

With all due respect to Kurt Angle he wouldn't really be my go to guy for how to wrestle like a big man. Actually, if I was wrestler, Kurt Angle wouldn't be my go to guy to learn how to wrestle at all considering how broken he's meant to be and how he's never really toned it down.

If I was Morgan's size, which obviously I am, and I was mental enough to want to be a wrestler I'd try and spend all day with Kevin Nash. He's the genius.