Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

I believe they had Brian Cage on the payroll at some point a few years ago.

And in terms of Neville vs Steen, WWE will go with Neville any day as far as I can see. Neville has the look, he can bump and he has a flashy finisher. He might just end up as the next Justin Gabriel but WWE will always have a place for people like that. How would you even use Steen? What would his gimmick be? His act works on the indies but I wouldn't have a clue how you would present him to a mainstream audience. He's even gone on record saying that he hates not wearing a t-shirt when he wrestles. He's not going to be allowed to do all his big moves. I've always loved Steen but with him on the roster I would have no idea what they would do with him.

And I think with Generico people never saw him being in WWE because they had no idea he could actually cut a promo or do a character other than El Generico. Seeing how natural he is as Sami Zayn was a surprise to everyone.

Edited by LaGoosh

Have WWE shown any interest in Brian Cage, i'd be very surprised if they haven't.

Cage was down in FCW in 2009 with all the NXT season 1 lot, he thought he was in line to be on the show but was released from his contract instead. It'd be nice to see WWE give him another go though, fantastic look and style.

I'd like to see Steen and Elgin given a shot. Steen's look doesn't scream WWE obviously, but none of the Wyaat family look like John Cena and they've found a fitting look. Elgin's a little short, being a short arse myself I was surprised when meeting him at the merch table that he wasn't much taller than me. Once he cuts the mullet and gets in a flashy singlet though he would look right at home in the WWE mid card and I could see him fitting in nicely.

Edited by Sexy Dad

• Paid Members

I'd put Steen in a tag team with someone. He reminds me so much of Pierre Outlette. That cannon ball in the corner is PCO all over. I dont see the Steen you see in ROH showing up in WWE (because there's no way they'd let someone is shorts and shit t-shirts work on any of their shows), but you could put a character on him, design him an outfit and gimmick him up, like they did with PCO or like they did with the Big Boss Man. The guy can talk and work. There's loads of things to do with someone with those qualities. Or he could be the Anvil to someones (maybe Adrian Neville) Bret Hart.

He cant do worse than Albert did. And they let that fat fucker wearing tights for a while.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Whenever the subject of appearance comes up, names like Foley, Neidhart, Umaga, Boss Man etc. are mentioned but all those had a good look. Looking right isn't limited to being tanned, 6'4" and muscular, and guys with an unusual look can benefit from it. Wyatt has a brilliant look and if he was similar to Cena physique wise, his gimmick wouldn't work nearly as well.

That said, people like Steen or Joe just look like shit. Neither look tough, creepy, strong, athletic or anything else positive, they just look fat and ugly. It's not the right image at all. Steen is a pasty slob with bad tattoos, and Joe is a tanned slob with a nose that weighs about 3 stone. It's unfortunate for them that they'll be judged on their looks but wrestling is an industry which relies on perception and for that reason, I can't see Steen going to the WWE.

• Paid Members

Joe drew 60,000 domestic buys for a few TNA PPVs. That says to me people were into him enough to spend $40 on him. Most of the WWE roster cant convince people to pay to see them. But Joe did. He was super over. And for TNA a company who cant draw 20,000 buys for Sting vs Hulk Hogan. Joe could have been a huge name. He was amazing at one stage. He was just a beast who captured the audiences imagination because he didn't look like everyone else. They've beat him to the point where his perception is well dead and he's long past the point of caring, but Joe could have been a player in WWE. He's the only person outside an ex WWE wrestler who actually drew money. When they leave the Impact Zone he gets superstar like reactions. The reason is because people see him as some sort of ex-wrestling star. "We remember him!" Samoa Joe vs Kurt Angle and Joe vs Scott Steiner still gives me a good feeling watching it now. I watch it and shout "HOW DID YOU FUCK THIS BLOKE UP?!"

This sounds like bollocks but its not. Can anyone remember that period where they had that meeting about signing Punk and Joe and Mick Foley wrote up a proposal of how to debut them and then Punk got sent to developmental and Joe signed for TNA? Punk and Joe weren't like Steen or Johnny Gargano. They were two wrestlers capable of getting some proper buzz within the industry.

EDIT: God, Joe was so fucking great around 05/06. I'm depressing myself now. I've been watching a lot of early TNA recently and the squash matches he had were excellent.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Thing about Joe is his aura. He's not the biggest guy or in shape, but he just projects "bad-ass", even at his low points. Even now, he's still got that character that, despite being ruined, you get the feeling that, were this a real sport, main-eventers would hate to face him because he just dishes out pain, regardless of whether he wins. He's a bit like Haku/Meng or original ECW Taz in this one regard.

The fact he's still able to get "Joe is gonna kill you" chants says something. Not that he'll ever be the big main-eventer again in TNA, but it shows just how badly they wasted him. I've never rated him as highly as the smarks have, but he does have something that a lot of promoters would kill for, and that's that natural, bad-ass presence.

I didn't know there was a Marine 3. Who was the main in that one?

Think that's the one the Miz did, after Orton (originally cast) got pulled for his real life misgivings as a marine.

Orton should star in a remake/re-imagining of A.W.O.L. It is almost a variation of his life story.