Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

Doesn't seem to have gone entirely well. Pete Dunne got 11 stitches from a bad Pedigree onto the belt at Battle Pro in the States the night before, so the UK Championship Match v Jack Gallagher got cancelled. Now it seems they've encountered issues regarding transport to Boston. Several stranded in New York. Hopefully they've been able to pull something out the bag with that. From what I've seen, they had a cracking crowd last night mind.

Yesterday morning someone from the Agency that represents Ric Flair ( @LegacyTalentCEOย ) tweeted a reply to people asking if it was true Flair was in hospital saying he was in for "routine monitoring" and added "no need to panic".ย 

ย 

3 hours ago, she then did another tweet saying they "need prayers and positive thoughts 4 our living legend as he is dealing w/some tough medical issues".

ย 

Meltzer says he is currently in intensive care.

• Paid Members
On โ€Ž13โ€Ž/โ€Ž08โ€Ž/โ€Ž2017 at 0:59 PM, Ralphy said:

I also read reports that the venue was so hot that some people passed out, Hopefully they can all make it to bostonย 

Apparently they oversold by an insane amount - crammed 100s more people into theย building over capacity. If that's true, it's a reckless, carny move - and whoever organised it, whether Progress themselves or a third party operating the tour, should be held responsible.

The stuff with Pete Dunne is nastyย  - a lot of people laying into his opponent, who apparently has a reputation as being unsafe and reckless. If what I heard is true, it was WWE's call to pull him for the PROGRESS show as a result - which could beย a bad sign. If WWE is invested in these UK guys, and they see them getting banged up by some no-hoper on an indie show, there's a real risk that they're either going to start policing who they permit "their" talent to work against - which I suspect would have the knock-on effect of killing some of the more surreal "dream match" moments that BSS' pseudo-WWE status has given us so far, like seeing WWE-contracted British Strong Style (including a WWE title holder) face NJPW contracted Kenny Omega & The Young Bucks in a Fight Club Pro ring - or else they'll kill this whole "let them work the indies when they're not working for us" approach entirely.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

I feel its going to be a case of WWE only allowing them to work shows they're comfortable with (or opponents to that matter). They'd be mad to not have people like Dunne and Bate in the ring with people like Omega if companies can book that kind of match, because unless they're in NXT they aren't getting the ring experience anywhere near as much otherwise. That being said, if they're not allowing them to be booked against Kick-Pad Ken in a small town hall its not the worst thing, especially after this weekend. By the sounds of it, the guy's dangerous in the ring, especially as it seems to be a somewhat unplanned (or poorly planned) pedigree onto a title belt where he didn't release the arms and instead let Dunne smash head first into it with no protection for his face/head.

• Paid Members

Not sure where else to post this but I know how much the UKFF loves a bit of Big Sexy. Monthly subscription box Bam Box are doing a expansion pack where you can get a signed Toy replica WWE belt or signed TMNT Shredder Funko Pop.

http://www.thebambox.com/shop/product/954081748_kevin-nash-expansion-pack

They ship from the US so it isn't cheap but hey it is big daddy cool we are talking about.

ย 

A group of WWE fans held a protest outside of the Barclays Center in Brooklyn on Friday evening to protest US President Donald Trump being in the WWE Hall of Fame, according toย Gothamist. The protest was led byย 30 year oldย Brooklyn resident John Stevens, who is a big wrestling fan. Stevens and his friends are calling on WWE to "reject racism by tossing Trump from an honored spot with the company."

Stevens was joined by fans who are in town for SummerSlam, which will be held at the Barclays Center on Sunday. Stevens told Gothamist:

"We were talking about how Trump gave that crazy press conference, and then thought about how he's in the WWE Hall of Fame even though Hulk Hogan got kicked out over racism. What Trump has done is remarkably worse than what Hogan did, since he's dividing the country by siding with neo-Nazis and white nationalists."

"I was sickened by that press conference, and his response toย Charlottesville. Basically WWE is endorsing those comments by having [Trump] in their hall of fame. I can't wrap my brain around the fact that they'd leave him in there, take Hogan out andย claimย they say they care about racism."

Stevens also runs a website, racistwwe.com. He noted that some of his supporters attended a signing with WWE Champion Jinder Mahal on Thursday night to hand out flyers for the website and protest. Stevens says despite Linda McMahon acting as Trump's Small Businessย Administrationย head, WWE needs to make a choice or face theย backlash. He added:

"It's kind of a gut-check moment for the WWE. If they want to put their fans in this position, especially minority fans, and insult them to their faces by supporting someone who supports white nationalists, they can do that. But theย backlash, I think, will be severe."

Fellow early-30's Brooklyn resident Stephen Miller, who describes himself as a wrestling nerd, was also involved in the protest and says this is an important moment for the company. He said:

"They have two options; leave someone who defends neo-Nazis and white supremacists in the Hall of Fame and accept that their fans will look at them as hypocrites the next time they take a stand about racism, homophobia or other forms of prejudice, or have a spine and stand up to racism. If they choose to leave him in the HOF I will question whether or not I'll continue toย watchย their product."

Stevens and Miller both were worried about weather hurting the turnout at Friday's rally but they have other rallies planned for the WWE NXT "Takeover: Brooklyn III" event tonight and SummerSlam on Sunday. Stevens is aware that the company can just ignore the group outside of the arena but they have a back-up plan:

"We might protest during the shows, we've got prime seats," he told Gothamist. "Where our seats are, you'd definitely see it, you'd hear theย chants. WWE could take care of this problem now, or they could have it come up during one of their biggest pay-per-views of the year and have it be on the WWE Network forever."

Stevens said removing Trump from the WWE Hall of Fame would be the "ultimate act of being a star" and "standing up to bullying and racism," referencing WWE's "Be a STAR" anti-bullying efforts.

or, as is more likely, nothing will happen,ย there will be no "backlash", ย and the pair of them can go back to being "wrestling nerds"

Was there even anything definitive that suggested Hogan was removed from the Hall Of Fame just because they removed his references? Even without it, he certainly was better off staying away for the time beingย because of the Gawker trial. He's listed in the latest edition of the WWE Encylopedia and they've been showing him in old footage more recently. It was always going to blow over eventually. Surely?

The McMahon family's association with Trump was a big part of my reason for cancelling the Network earlier this year, so I sympathise with the cause - but no one takes the celebrity wing of the WWE Hall of Fame seriously enough to get behind this particular framing of the message in a big way. To make that the focus almost trivialises the other protests involving this horrible president and human being.

2 hours ago, HeavyT said:

Imagine cacancelling the network as a protest over trumps involvment with the company ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ that'll show em

Don't think it was done as a political gesture, more a case of personal principles. ย That's why they are called principles, because you stick to them. ย If you don't then it's a hobby.