The TNA Bound For Glory masturbation thread

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hogan got a giant ovation. Killed the crowd for the next bout, but it was so brilliant.

Was so obvious that would be the case, i even predicted it in another thread.

Angle/Roode should close the show, no doubt.

Thing is though, if it goes on after Hogan/Sting, will anyone give a damn?

Angle/Roode should have closed the show if Roode was going over, Bad ending.

Also, why was RVD/Lynn a TLC match that ended in pinfall? Weird.

They blew it.

If you've been a fan for long enough, you know that pro wrestling is all about momentum. It's momentum that creates stars, sells PPVs, gets bums on seats, sells t-shirts. It's incredibly hard to manufacture, and so easy to lose. Matt Morgan, despite having all the physical attributes required to be a top guy, has never had the ability to generate momentum; conversely Hulk Hogan, even after 10 back surgeries and a messy divorce, can generate momentum just by cupping an ear or ripping a t-shirt.

Leading into this Sunday's PPV, TNA has had the best momentum in its history - the culmination of a 2 year storyline build around wrestling's biggest name, Hulk Hogan; a picture-perfect 6 month build of Robert Roode as a genuine contender; and a card stacked with stars that even the WWE would be happy to promote. And all this momentum has been generated with one thing in mind - making a new star. That's why Sting-Hogan was on the card, to get people in the building and buying the PPV, so they could see Angle put Roode over and create a moment that would launch Roode into the next year as the centre of a rejuvenated TNA.

It's been a long road for Robert Roode, but he's more than earned his spot, and more importantly than all that he is that rarest of things in modern pro-wrestling - a genuine everyman babyface. Like Bret Hart at his peak, he carries himself in a way that demands admiration as well as sympathy, that speaks of a universal story of hard work, determination, and desire. There's been more talk about him on the internet in positive terms than I can remember for an upcoming star in years - even Cena has always divided the opinions as a face, but everyone seemed determined to enjoy the moment of Roode's ascension to the main event.

I don't know if Roode strangled a hooker in his hotel room on Saturday night, or whether Kurt Angle called a new finish to the PPV due to injury; I don't care. And it doesn't matter if TNA now put on 4 incredible weeks of TV that lead to Roode winning the title at the next PPV. It's irrelevant. On their biggest stage, in front of what may well be their largest audience ever, with the wind in their sails and the goodwill of practically the whole wrestling community, they blew their momentum. They may not get as good a chance again.

• Paid Members

Part of me really isn't surprised, they seem so intent on doing what nobody expects. With this momentum, everyone really expected Roode to win. Don't get me wrong- sometimes doing the unexpected can be bloody genius. But sometimes if the momentum is that strong, you're a fucking idiot for doing the unexpected. I know things were a lot different back then and heels never got the fall to send the punters home, expecially in an event this massive, but what if Andre went over Hogan at Wrestlemania 3? Bad example perhaps, but imagine it. Or Austin not beating Michaels at Mania 14. I know, unfair comparisons, but hopefully you get what I mean.

What an absolute load of shit. As people have already said, what difference would it make if Roode wins the title at the next PPV? Why does this company have a constant fear of clean finishes?

I'm calling it now, Roode won't end up winning the title at all.

I didn't hate the show.

But I hated the ending. How can they not use their biggest show of the year to cement their new star? I remember feeling flat after then end of Wrestlemania, but at least you got the feeling that was leading to something massive with the Rock. Where is this going to lead? Roode maybe winning the title from an injured Angle on a B PPV or perhaps even stupidly given away on Impact?

• Paid Members

First off, I have to say the Hogan match was my favourite match of the year. I fucking loved this match. Hogan walked out in his white top, jeans and taped fists. Sting came out. They were about to lock up, but Hogan pointed at the ramp and Naitch came out. Hogan took THREE BUMPS~, Flair got involved on the outside doing a few Heenan spots, Hogan used a spike to Sting's head, which cut him up. Hogan was working like Adbullah The Butcher. It was brilliant. He did so little, yet so much. Sting locked on the Rock's Sharpshooter and Hogan tapped. Immortal came down and they beat on Sting. Hogan was in the corner telling them to leave it, but they pounded on Sting. Sting said "help me, Hulkster, help me!" The crowd cheered, Hogan looked to his left, the crowd got louder, He pointed at Sting and the crowd yelled its approval even louder, then he torn his shirt off to by far the biggest reception in TNA history. The roof came off for it. Then they slapped everyone about. It was pure theatre. Hogan cant go anymore, but the people on this show and in WWE could learn a book full of things watching how he worked the crowd in this one. It was always going to happen as well, because you never lose your ability to connect with the audience.

It was the best and worst of wrestling for me. It was the best because most of them worked really hard. Most of the roster put their graft in. It was the worst because, at the end there was big deflation with that finish. I think I've probably accepted now than wrestling in 2011 is well and truly out of ideas. Its one big cluster fuck after another. WWE and TNA have a similar mentality. Its just WWE is a bigger company who's mistakes aren't as big, because they have a loyal fanbase and aren't swimming up stream. So many times in both promotions, you see someone who they should at least have a go with and they fail to pull the trigger. TNA has improved the TV, and this finish was probably designed to get the ratings up on Thursday. I just feel that Jeff Hardy is now back, his court case is over, and now they probably think its his time to get his long babyface title run, which they couldn't do 18 months ago. Big shame for Roode. He needed a win tonight.

Saying that, who really gives a fuck? It isn't like when they fucked Randy Orton. Comparisons to Andre vs Hogan and Michaels vs Austin are ridiculous, really. Roode is never going to be a star in TNA. Nobody is ever a star in TNA. Doesn't matter if he won it last night or next year (and he'll probably win it either on TV or at the next PPV). I could be TNA champion, and it wouldn't make a different to business in the negative. It isn't 1987 or even 2005. If Roode has the belt, it'll be like when AJ Styles or Samoa Joe had the belt. The real stars are Hogan, Sting, Jeff Hardy and a few ECW wrestlers like RVD and Bully Ray. Its always going to be like that. It always has been like that, even back when Dusty Rhodes and Nikita Koloff were heading babyface factions in Nashville. Its evident in that building who the fans came to see. Its the first time in years, they've went to a town that wasn't a shithole starved of wrestling in front of fans who will cheer anything, and the fans seen who the stars were and acted accordingly. I remember saying weeks ago, it's in danger of being like when they had Bound For Glory in a real building and fans booed everyone but the Main Event Mafia. Hogan was the most over man on the show by a marathon, Sting was hugely popular, Jeff Hardy got a big reaction, Austin Aries was big in the city, RVD was hugely over. Nobody seemed to give a fuck about Roode, unfortunately. They shove Crimson down our throats and Crimson is so fucking terrible it makes you wonder why they are pushing him? I even felt bad for Samoa Joe. I never thought I'd ever see the day again when I thought "this poor fucker deserves better than this". Joe worked really hard. Why is anyones guess. Its sad watching him. With the crowd on his side, he got into a stride and he looked to be enjoying himself. Reminded me of why I got into him a few years back. Then he got beat by Crimson as the people booed loudly and chanted all kinds at him. Crimson is shit. And anyone who thinks Christopher Daniels is this "young 40 year old super worker" needs to check this match out. He was shit in it. What a pillock. Hammy Hamster does Pro Wrestling. He said he was going to "murder" AJ "in cold blood". Complete clown. On the flip side, Austin Aries worked like a star, acted like a star, delivered the goods and got a star like reaction. Surely AJ and Aries should be in a uppercard feud soon. He's awesome. No James Storm, which is a bit ridiculous.

perhaps even stupidly given away on Impact

How will it be more stupid? 8000 people would watch it on a PPV. 1.5 million would watch it on TV. If they are going to give him the belt after this finish, he should do it on Thursday.

Alvarez and Meltzer seem to think that the plan was always to put the belt on Roode, but they may have decided against it at the last minute, and they may be looking at a Jeff Hardy babyface run instead, which is just insane.

You've got to feel that there's a link missing in the way TNA run their live shows though, as it's insance that NOBODY made the call, when Angle injured himself, to change the finish and put the title on Roode anyway. Who thinks Angle will be able to wrestle at the tv tapings even enough to drop the title to Roode then? From the sounds of it, he's pretty fucked. TNA needs someone on the walkie-talkie backstage who knows how to deal with these situations. Same as with the Jeff Hardy thing, it was Sting who called for the match to be changed in the ring as nobody backstage thought it was a bad idea to send Hardy out in that condition.

Alvarez and Meltzer seem to think that the plan was always to put the belt on Roode, but they may have decided against it at the last minute, and they may be looking at a Jeff Hardy babyface run instead, which is just insane.

You've got to feel that there's a link missing in the way TNA run their live shows though, as it's insance that NOBODY made the call, when Angle injured himself, to change the finish and put the title on Roode anyway. Who thinks Angle will be able to wrestle at the tv tapings even enough to drop the title to Roode then? From the sounds of it, he's pretty fucked. TNA needs someone on the walkie-talkie backstage who knows how to deal with these situations. Same as with the Jeff Hardy thing, it was Sting who called for the match to be changed in the ring as nobody backstage thought it was a bad idea to send Hardy out in that condition.

I have this horrible fear we going to see something akin to when Mickie James won the Knockouts Title. I.e. Angle will come out, lock up with Roode, who will literally hit one move (fisherman) and win the belt under 5 seconds.

Bloody hope not.

Didn't watch the show, but was dismayed to read Roode didn't snatch the title. Usually Im the sort of fan who thinks "anything that gets a negative reaction is fine because hes a heel" but something about Angle retaining dosen't sit right with me at all.

I would of LOVE to of been a fly on the wall when the decision was made for Angle to retain. Has this been the plan all along? Did Angle pull the "creative control" card and change the ending? Did someone think Roode winning was too predicatable? I'd love to know the thought process.

Archived