The TNA Bound For Glory masturbation thread

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

What the fuck was that? One of the problems with downloading a show is you can see how long is left. When Angle and Roode had that little time, I just knew it was going to blow. I can't believe they fucked it up so bad. Roode came out looking like everyone else who isn't over. Fucking hell.

Sting/Hogan was alright. Obviously an utter embarrassment if you want to try and convince the audience they are watching fighting but for a pro-wrestling fan, it was way better than you could hope for. Hogan hulking up is still a sight to see.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a good point there, Humpty.

This match could never have happened in the 80s. Laughable or not wrestling was STILL meant to be an actual fighting contest, and was meant to resemble the real thing even though it was worked. Whereas everyone watching Hogan-Sting has to accept that Hogan in real life is a cripple, and just pretend he isn't for the sake of the match.

Perhaps that's why this generation of wrestlers has gone on so long - the fans are willing to accept the essential absurdity of their aged, saggy state in order to see their heroes still pacing about the ring.

• Paid Members

These matches did happen in the 1980s. Andre the Giant was in far worse shape than Hogan was in that 18 month run where he drew more money than he had in his whole career, and he bumped less than Hogan did. Abdullah The Butcher hasn't taken a bump for about 30 years. If you are over, people like you. Thats why smaller, athletic wrestlers get pops, and charismatic wrestlers who do nothing get heat. Wrestling is a circus. If you can get at the people's emotions, you stay over forever.

These matches did happen in the 1980s. Andre the Giant was in far worse shape than Hogan was in that 18 month run where he drew more money than he had in his whole career, and he bumped less than Hogan did. Abdullah The Butcher hasn't taken a bump for about 30 years. If you are over, people like you. Thats why smaller, athletic wrestlers get pops, and charismatic wrestlers who do nothing get heat. Wrestling is a circus. If you can get at the people's emotions, you stay over forever.

To be fair, Andre didn't need to do anything because of his size and status as THE giant of the 70s and 80s.

I think that statement in bold is a bit of a generalisation. Savage was as fast-paced and athletic as anyone, and he had loads of charisma. DX era Shawn Michaels was a Heat machine. If you have charisma you'll get over, whether you work a Hogan/Lawler style or a Michaels/Savage one.

• Paid Members
To be fair, Andre didn't need to do anything because of his size and status as THE giant of the 70s and 80s.

He was over because he was a giant. John Studd was a big man didn't do anything and he was useless when he got past his hayday. The point remains, Andre was over and didn't need to do anything. That points been proven over and over again. And Andre was in really bad condition. He wore a backbrace for years and could hardly move.

I think that statement in bold is a bit of a generalisation. Savage was as fast-paced and athletic as anyone, and he had loads of charisma. DX era Shawn Michaels was a Heat machine. If you have charisma you'll get over, whether you work a Hogan/Lawler style or a Michaels/Savage one.

That was my point obviously. Hence the "If you can get at the people's emotions, you stay over forever" line.

He was over because he was a giant. John Studd was a big man didn't do anything and he was useless when he got past his hayday. The point remains, Andre was over and didn't need to do anything. That points been proven over and over again. And Andre was in really bad condition. He wore a backbrace for years and could hardly move.

That was my point obviously. Hence the "If you can get at the people's emotions, you stay over forever" line.

Yeah, fair enough.

I still think this line..

Thats why smaller, athletic wrestlers get pops, and charismatic wrestlers who do nothing get heat.

Was stated like it's a hard fact, when really if you are charismatic, you'll get over whatever your size and style. That's all I'm saying.

I didn't think I'd have to draw a picture for anyone to understand the point I was making.

It seemed like a bit of a dig at smaller, more athletic wrestlers.

Your point seems stupid to me, perhaps that's why I needed a drawing.

Thats why smaller, athletic wrestlers get pops, and charismatic wrestlers who do nothing get heat.

If charisma is the key, then it's just as true to say that "big, powerhouse wrestlers get pops, and charismatic wrestlers who do nothing get heat".

Why does the size matter, unless it was just a general knock on smaller, more athletic wrestlers for no reason?

Yaaah, that's exactly what I was after.

Good work.

To be fair, I have been hugely knitpicking, I think it's the affect of entering this BFG thread and the general negativity of the ending.

I didn't realise Dave Sullivan was in wheelchair these days? Poor old bugger.

• Paid Members

TNA can fuck off with not having Roode win the belt... in other news Hogan/Sting was fucking brilliant, Hogan's ability to milk a crowd is an absolute masterclass

In other news glad to be back on the forum more regularily now I have the internet

Archived