The TNA Bound For Glory masturbation thread

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Aries / Kendrick was a great little match, i only went off it for the finish. Aries took a top rope Sliced Bread, and mostly got straight back up and carried on for another few mins. So that asside, Aries is pure greatness.

I skipped mostly everything else, as i'm just not intereset in: Mexican america, TNA Knockouts (who are just turning into "Divas" now), Jerry Lynn and RVD (RVD is showing his age, and im confussed as to why jerry lynn is emplyed now).

Aj / Daniels was ok, although we're kind of seen more than enough of those two agaisnt each other. I would of preffered them to re-team with one another, as they where a great little tag team.

Sting . Hogan was ok....and to be fair i popped for the Hulk up as well. Wouldnt be suprised is Hogan randomly wins the belt in the coming months. Also Does this mostly mean Bischoff is just completely useless now? like he has no power or anything. Immortal being down to like 3 or 4 members is better that the huge nWo style stable is was, although they should just filter whats left now and drop it.

The main event was ok, suprised they didnt give roode the win, mainly due to sting really putting him over on impact.

It was a bit "Meh" really.

A plus for TNA: The X divison is great, and they know how to build something up.

The minus being: Knockouts / Eric youngs current gimmick and mostly everything else!

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for bringing this thread back, but I thought it would be better than making a new one just for this bit of news. Wrestlingnewssource.com are reporting that

Bound For Glory pulled somewhere in between 20,000 and 25,000 PPV buys which is down from the aprox. 40,000 of the 2010 edition. I guess it was a success if so little amount of people had enough confidence in the event to invest money into it, but the outcome of the show peaked enough of the doubter's interests to spike the ratings up for Impact. In UK news though, BFG didn't even get into Challenge's top 10 for the week.

I know they've had decent ratings with there other PPV's which they've aired but its abit of a shock BFG didn't get in the top 10 of Challenge. I hope this gives them some motivation to put the PPV on at an earlier start time.

Sad to hear about the lack of buys they got aswell for BFG. I thought they would have been able to get a fair few more than the previous year.

• Paid Members
I thought they would have been able to get a fair few more than the previous year.

There wasn't a single chance of that happening. They were never getting 40,000 buys for Bound For Glory. At the most, they and anyone who had a bit of faith was hoping for 30,000, and they never even got that. Their PPV business is dead. The build for Bound For Glory was brilliant as well. I've said it plenty of times, they are swimming upstream. They've done plenty of great stuff recently, but it takes more than a few shows on the trot to regain the trust in the audience.

TNA's past caring with the PPV audience anyway it looks like. They are locked into a contract with the PPV company. They should drop the price and cut the amount they do. PPV isn't a good medium for TNA. I know people say "well UFC is still a player on PPV", but TNA aren't UFC. If the wrestling fans aren't buying SummerSlam with a red hot angle behind it and Cena and CM Punk in the main, why would they buy Bound for Glory?

How do you know that it didn't get in to Challenge's top 10, Phenom? The figures for the week it aired aren't on BARB yet?

It is a shame that the buyrate is down from last year, considering the media push TNA did with Hogan etc.

I understand with the whole PPV business not gaining as much revenue anymore but in comparison to last years event we were treated to a much better event in terms of line up, quality of matches, build and what not. It's a shame they couldn't capitalise on it in figures. I know what your saying though it's a similar story of what happened with MITB 2010 and MITB 2011 as I'm sure I remember someone ranting on here about the similar buyrates between the two.

Do we think the wrestling PPV business is essentially dead now, outside of Wrestlemania? It seems an inexorable slide for both the main companies.

It would be wrestling coming full circle if it became TV and house shows again.

Do we think the wrestling PPV business is essentially dead now, outside of Wrestlemania? It seems an inexorable slide for both the main companies.

It would be wrestling coming full circle if it became TV and house shows again.

I reckon so. Wrestlemania's sold itself on being Wrestlemania, not the card, for a good ten years or so now. Wrestlemania X7 pretty much set it off on that path for life. The boom era audience were still hanging on for it, saw an ace show, fucked off but saw Hogan was coming back the next year at X8 and that was that, the pattern was about set. Most people I know will still ask me the odd question around Mania time, and even watch the show if there's any curiosity whatsoever.

It's got to be torrents and streaming really putting the nail in the coffin hasn't it? It would be rock hard to get them back in at the house shows now I reckon. It's way too well established that telly's where it's at, and unless a radical shift bag to the jobber match formula (which I've always thought is more achievable than some people think) goes down, I don't think it will happen. WWE are smart though, I genuinely believe this time round Vince will somehow start making money off his side projects, such as the films and the TV network. I know it would be unprecidented that one of these things actually works, but he'll get there I think.

I bet those Hustle, Loyalty, Respect t-shirts keep the petty cash topped up and all. Albeit for totally different reasons, their merchandising looks as money-spinning as the glory days of an episode of Raw full of wall-to-wall black t-shirts with white writing on.

I do think both the main feds are missing a trick with streaming.

If I could log onto WWE.com or TNA.com on the night of a PPV, and stream it over the internet for, say, a fiver or $10, then I would. I reckon that if you could add up all the people who watch a TNA PPV on illegal streams and downloads over the next week, you'd double the buy numbers. More if you added in overseas.

All the profit would go directly to the fed, rather than paying a PPV provider. I reckon it'd be a good money-spinner.

• Paid Members

I'm more optimistic than you guys are. The model is damaged but it isn't unfixable. I think this Survivor Series buyrate will be telling, if it's nothing great then maybe PPV is dead (bar 'Mania).

House shows were doing good when The Rock returned and heated things up for a couple of months.

It's whether Vince can be arsed fixing it though. People will tell you he's not really that bothered with wrestling anymore, as it's no longer a challenge (despite numbers being shit, WWE still makes millions a year). His current thing is this new Network, going by his previous it's bound to fail (I do hope I'm wrong).

Hmm I don't know if PPV is dead for wrestling, for TNA it is yeah.

I'm shocked by that number if its true for BFG, I never expected 40,000 buys either, but they are way down, especially given the effort and build put into the show, you couldn't ask for a better one.

It might just be the case of too many PPV's at one time, I mean imagine that you are into UFC as well, now I think they just had 3 PPV's in the space of 3 or 4 weeks? Add in WWE's 3 PPV's recently plus BFG, thats a shitload of money to be spending, if it wasn't free on sky sports or on challenge TV and you had to pay more than 15quid, would you buy all that, probably not.

Certainly TNA need to cut back on PPV's its just a waste of money, use that money instead to take Impact on the road more, Ive read these recent tapings are going to be the last outside the impact zone for awhile, the thought of them being stuck in the mutant zone for months again, does not sound great, because TNA looks so much better outside of it.

We shall see if PPV is dead for real, I cant remember what last years SSeries buyrate was, but with The Rock on the show it will have to be up, atleast thats the idea.

I will agree that the net plays apart of it being down, I wonder for the people hailing CM Punk as the new Austin at the time, did they buy MITB or stream it? the net is only going to get worse in that regard as it advances more each year.

The only thing that slows streams down, is finding one that works and its not on your TV, now if you're smart with a PC or Laptop you'd know its not hard to get your PC screen onto your HDTV, so then the problem is just the stream randomly dying on you, if technology ever finds a way to get around that, then yeah PPV will be in more trouble, you can already do it, if you wait the next day and just DL the HD version of whatever PPV and watch it on your TV with your mates, I admit I did just that with a UFC PPV.

Some people still think streams and DL's are like Matt Hardys old V1 intro, far from it, and as said will only improve in time.

I guess like before wrestling will just have to adapt to the times.

• Paid Members

The fact the Rock is even on Survivor Series probably shows how bad PPVs are at the minute. If they were confident of a good buyrate at the Survivor Series, The Rock wouldn't be anywhere near the show. Its not just PPVs though. Wrestling is a cold business at the minute. If it was a hot business, PPV buys would be up. But wrestling isn't cool in 2011. The general wrestling audience is at the lowest its been since 1995. WWE's other revenue streams are still good though. WWE isn't going anywhere anytime soon. But I do think WWE is desperate for a new face on top. I like Cena, but Hogan had the Warrior and Savage. Austin had Rock and Mankind, and even Cena had Batista until a few year ago. Who's Cena got? You cant carry a company on your own. He's desperate for a new face to battle or someone to carry the weight with him. And the fans want it as well.

• Paid Members
The fact the Rock is even on Survivor Series probably shows how bad PPVs are at the minute. If they were confident of a good buyrate at the Survivor Series, The Rock wouldn't be anywhere near the show. Its not just PPVs though. Wrestling is a cold business at the minute. If it was a hot business, PPV buys would be up. But wrestling isn't cool in 2011. The general wrestling audience is at the lowest its been since 1995. WWE's other revenue streams are still good though. WWE isn't going anywhere anytime soon. But I do think WWE is desperate for a new face on top. I like Cena, but Hogan had the Warrior and Savage. Austin had Rock and Mankind, and even Cena had Batista until a few year ago. Who's Cena got? You cant carry a company on your own. He's desperate for a new face to battle or someone to carry the weight with him. And the fans want it as well.

WWE need to invest in building up their talent properly, nobody really cares about their midcard. They had a great chance to elevate Ziggler at the last PPV but had him lose then win, leaving him exactly where he was. It's been the problem with WWE for years. Why not give a guy a series of wins, instead of this back and forth winning/losing thing they do. Triple H knows the score, he's yet to lose since his part time wrestler/COO gig, getting Punk to do the job instead.

As much as they need another babyface (I'd argue Orton is that man), they most certainly need a heel with proper heat. The last good heel they had was Orton, about two years ago. As much as people pay to see their favourites win, they need an antagonist the people want him to beat up.

Archived