The TNA Bound For Glory masturbation thread

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
I would of LOVE to of been a fly on the wall when the decision was made for Angle to retain. Has this been the plan all along? Did Angle pull the "creative control" card and change the ending? Did someone think Roode winning was too predicatable? I'd love to know the thought process.

Probably because ratings recently have been terrible and they wanted something to make you watch on Thursday. Either that or Prichard doesn't think Roode's the guy to carry his version of TNA. Which Meltzer said could be the reason. Say what you want about Russo, but I never heard of him ever changing plans at the last minute. TNA always did what was expected (BFG last year being an example).

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would of LOVE to of been a fly on the wall when the decision was made for Angle to retain. Has this been the plan all along? Did Angle pull the "creative control" card and change the ending? Did someone think Roode winning was too predicatable? I'd love to know the thought process.

Probably because ratings recently have been terrible and they wanted something to make you watch on Thursday. Either that or Prichard doesn't think Roode's the guy to carry his version of TNA. Which Meltzer said could be the reason. Say what you want about Russo, but I never heard of him ever changing plans at the last minute. TNA always did what was expected (BFG last year being an example).

Really? I thought he was notorious for it during his WCW run. Wasn't the decision to crown David Arquette champion made the night before?

Opening match was pretty good untill the ending which felt kind of rushed, rvd vs lynn was way to short for a tlc match, bully ray vs kenny was good with some mental spots involving the guardrail but again it felt kind of rushed (lol the fat broad with the beer) knock outs, 3 way dance and the in ring pull a part was putrid, the i quit match ending was woeful i'd put that up there with cena batista ending.

roode vs angle was a decent match however the ending (as i said in chat was going to be a screwy finish) and it pretty much was, was angle wrecked and had to call for the ending right away? or was it meant to be that but either way they shat on roode big time, right now he should be champion instead we have a guy pretty much on his last legs with the belt, way to go tna.

sting vs hogan was a train wreck however the fans made that match, with the pop hogan got for hulking up, helping out sting was just deafining.

ps

dixie being poked in the face with the guy wearing the boa next to her was pricless

Loki's previous post about momentum is spot on.

Having time to think about it, this PPV, I did enjoy it, it had something for everyone.

Now I'm not saying this was Starcade 97 exactly because Sting actually won the belt!, but Starcade 97 left many fans thinking wtf just happened, this is very much the case with BFG, I was building this event up to be TNA's WM14 a PPV that turns the whole company around, this even happened in UFC years ago when it looked more likely they were going out of business, you have these turning points and then boom, you product is hot, now I'm not saying TNA were going to have a boom period but they would have rebooted atleast and started to slowly go back up.

For me they have totally killed trust in anything they do, just like WWE, they start something interesting and never follow it through, for whatever reason, it seems more and more like mainstream wrestling is heading into another new generation era, but perhaps even worse than that.

It seems like Cena is the last megastar wrestling will see for some time, if you takeout all the legends from both TNA and WWE and look at the rosters it looks bleak, not because they suck or cant wrestle, some have talent, its just I don't ever see anyone getting over like HBK, Flair, The Rock etc levels again, the ability to draw people in emotionally seems to be completely lost, Hogan and Sting gave a master class in how to do this last night, its not about pipebombs and fancy back flips, the story telling in the Hogan match really showed how wrestling can be, you just don't see it anymore, kind of hard to look back and think wrestling used to be like that all the time.

Last night I think showed more people were there to see their old fav's rather than because they follow TNA, guys from ROH got cheered, legends like Hogan/Sting got cheered, ECW fans for Bully,RVD, TNA people on the other like Crimson, not the case at all.

Roode winning the title on the next Impact will mean fuck all to me tbh, especially in the impact mutant zone, yeah it will be cool he won, and more people will see it(on tv), but you know I just don't care, just like ADR winning the belt back and then facing Cena again, don't care, and I bet Vengeance numbers will back that up.

Apparently Dav Herro has some inside scoop as to why this shit finish happened, he is good mates with many people in TNA, so I'm interested to see what he says later on today, or tomorrow since of timezones, he is calling it "shenanigans" also TNA's contract with spike has only one year left, he has been saying TNA are in trouble since victory road, I usually took that as a joke, but after this ending I dont know anymore.

The thought of them wanting to push Jeff Hardy instead of Roode or even Storm makes me sick tbh, they would really do at as well, because its TNA after all.

Sigh, I'm just so disappointed in mainstream wrestling right now, since I started watching again in 2010 there has been so much stuff that could have been awesome, but it always ends in shit, that PPV last night has really killed my enthusiasm, I don't remember the last time I felt so flat after watching wrestling, like I said I'm going back to watching my old Nitro's that will cheer me up, I'll probably watch SSeries for The Rock of course, other than it looks like its back the old schedule of royalrumble-WM season.

• Paid Members
sting vs hogan was a train wreck however the fans made that match, with the pop hogan got for hulking up, helping out sting was just deafining.

How was it a train wreck, you mental? The reason the fans made the match is because the performers knew how to bring the fans into it. A crowd doesn't make a match without the wrestlers allowing he fans to make the match. If they'd have got the Xbox out and played that shit new Hulk Hogan game, I doubt the crowd would have been cheering to loudly.

I wasn't surprised with the main event ending, nor was I disappointed. I had a feeling that they would have Roode lose and then start a real chase for the belt after an unclean finish. It's simple enough and not exactly rocket science. The match itself disappointed me more. It was the same Angle match that we've seen a million times before.

TLC wasn't really much more than a spotfest, but the spots were vile. Some real brutality going on and I really enjoyed it as a result.

Anderson/Bully was really enjoyable for the same reason, but that match had much better build to it, and just escaleted the madness.

Daniels/Styles and the 4 way knockouts match were both crap.

Aries/Kendrick stole the show I thought and the fans were WAY into it. The three way was passable throwaway stuff.

Meant to mention, I thought Hogan/Sting was fun enough. Worked well.

Overall, I enjoyed it.

• Paid Members

This was the first TNA show I've watched in forever. It's also likely to be the last one I watch for a long time.

- Aries/Kendrick was fine, but I couldn't tell who was supposed to be heel/face, which made the whole thing feel rather passive.

- Van Dam/Lynn was a shocker. Matches like this seem really dated now, and they're not going to help TNA. Two past-it guys killing themselves in predictable routines for a couple of "holy shit" chants in the second match of the night doesn't exactly scream "big time".

- Triple threat didn't pick things up much. The total lack of crowd reaction when Morgan and Crimson both went for Joe at the start pretty much summed it up. Joe is a shell of what he was 5 or 6 years ago, all that aura he had in ROH is long gone. Morgan's completely indy in every way except his physique. First time I've seen Crimson, wasn't actively bad, but didn't stand out or do anything particularly impressive.

- Bubba's promo was more enjoyable than anything I can remember him doing in a long time. Match was a decent enough walkabout at first, but Anderson kicking out of a piledriver on concrete AND a Bubba Bomb through a table like they were a couple of hiptosses was fucking ridiculous. How could either of them think that was a good idea? Blowing the finish wasn't really either guy's fault, but kind of capped off a match that went downhill bit-by-bit.

- Knockouts match was a plot point in a storyline I'm unfamiliar with, so I was never going to be into it much. The wrestling itself didn't do much for me.

- Styles/Daniels was a perfect example of how not to book an undercard match. In-ring murder threats aren't the most effective tactic for pacing a crowd. Not to mention that that whole aspect of the match was naff and got no heat. Nobody is ever going to buy shit like this in wrestling, so why even try it?

- The Jarrett/Hardy segment nearly stopped me watching. Heel Jarrett on the mic has completely turned me off TNA before, and Hardy looked so bored when he came out that I actually groaned. As for the brawl, I think the crowd amusing themselves by chanting for D'Lo Brown tells us everything we need to know about this angle.

- Sting/Hogan was pretty much exactly what I was expecting. I doubt there's a crowd in the world that wouldn't get at least a bit of a kick out of seeing those guys face-to-face. Even with the absolute clusterfuck of a finish and the bizarre hotshotting of the stuff with Bischoff's kid, they couldn't lose.

- Angle/Roode was what I was watching for, and I expected way, way more from every party involved. The presentation on the night was just totally nothing. No locker room shots, no analysis, a decent enough video package but no special entrances, no in-ring introductions, nothing. The match was a typical Angle main event, which isn't something I've found interesting in a long time. Roode carries himself like a star and moves around the ring in an engaging, exciting way, but the match just deteriorated into through-the-motions moves and counters. I could happily go the rest of my life without seeing another Crippler Crossface - it seemed like every time I looked away then looked back, Roode was putting Angle in the fucking thing all over again. I'm reluctant to blame Roode too much, because I assume Angle was calling it, but man, this was such a letdown. A letdown with a screwy finish. And once again, I feel slightly silly for expecting anything but a letdown with a screwy finish from TNA.

• Paid Members

Well I called this. Ian tried to put my mind to rest by saying they wouldn't do it but my defence of "it's TNA" rang true.

It really is a shame as the show was going great until that finish. Why spend SO much time and money on Roode if you have no plans to have him win? My immediate thought was this was some sort of punishment but again "it's TNA". The match was going as well as can be expected, given how exhausted the crowd was after Hogan and Sting put on a masterful display. Then THAT happened. Any air left in the crowd soon vanished. Loki sums up my thoughts that it will take something special to get Roode's momentum back. Blackson is not a happy Jackson.

Anyway, on to the positive. Hogan v Sting was better than expected. Both men and Flair showed everybody how it's done, they didn't do much but they had the crowd going barmy for all of it. HOGAN TOOK THREE BUMPS, I winced after every one, I hope the big fella is ok. After match of the night finished we got our money's worth (non of us paid), Sting played the sympathetic babyface to perfection as he was getting beaten down, blood dripping from his forehead. He then grabs the Hulkster and begs for his help, like Star Wars when Luke begs Darth Vader for help. Like Darth, Hogan then starts to work the crowd, turning his head towards them left then right (or right then left). Come the t-shirt spot even my dead Di was marking in his grave. Hogan starts to clean house then Immortal back to the middle of the ring. Cue Sting doing his chest beating spot, again crowd lap it up and I'm still grinning like a mong. Personally, THAT is pro-wrestling, so much emotion from so little. Two masters and one genius.

The only other things of note are Aries was treated like the king he is. Bully Ray dragged Anderson to his best match with anybody not named Kurt Angle (shame the real Anderson showed up at the end and spoiled the ending a little). Daniels v AJ was going well until Daniels decided to cut a shit promo, I didn't mind the finish as it's a midcard match. RVD v Lynn was scary in some places and sloppy in other places. A LOT of TNA fans wank over Velvet Sky, they gave her a great reaction when her music hit (instinct). Hopefully TNA take note that Al Snow got a better reaction than Crimson, the lad has nothing.

THAT finish though. Shame.

Saying that, who really gives a fuck? It isn't like when they fucked Randy Orton. Comparisons to Andre vs Hogan and Michaels vs Austin are ridiculous, really. Roode is never going to be a star in TNA. Nobody is ever a star in TNA. Doesn't matter if he won it last night or next year (and he'll probably win it either on TV or at the next PPV). I could be TNA champion, and it wouldn't make a different to business in the negative. It isn't 1987 or even 2005. If Roode has the belt, it'll be like when AJ Styles or Samoa Joe had the belt. The real stars are Hogan, Sting, Jeff Hardy and a few ECW wrestlers like RVD and Bully Ray. Its always going to be like that.

Haha, you sound like a battered house wife. This is what happens when they constantly fuck over the fans, when we invest in new main event talent. We end up not trusting them.

• Paid Members
Haha, you sound like a battered house wife. This is what happens when they constantly fuck over the fans, when we invest in new main event talent. We end up not trusting them.

Its true though isn't it? I'm not some bitter wrestling fan, because you really can't be as excited as I got during the Hogan match, or as pleased as I was during the Aries match. I love wrestling. But look at Bound For Glory and WrestleMania. Who came out of the biggest show of the year for both companies looking the best? Undertaker, Triple H, The Rock, Steve Austin, Sting and Hulk Hogan. Then you have John Cena who always looks good coming out of anything, whether he wins or loses. He's super protected. Nobody seems to be breaking through. Luckily, I still enjoy the fuck out of all those men, but it does make you wonder. None of them are around for the full 52 weeks. It seems like apart from WrestleMania's run-in and Bound For Glory's run-in, both promotions are in a state of confusion for the rest of the 10 months.

I was really looking forward to the main event. I reasonably thought that Roode would win, as the BFG series reminded me of the rumble where the winner usually wins the World Title at mania. Not in TNA you don't!!! They missed a big opportunity to cash in on momentum as Roode was built up strong. I wonder if it this scenario is similar when Goldberg didn't defeat an injured HHH at summerslam 03 because Hunter thought he would be more able to get him over at unforgiven 03 when he wasn't injured. It didn't work then and won't work now. Regardless TNA screwed it all up and this theme would continue if they book screwed up Jeff to win the title.

• Paid Members

Its true though isn't it? I'm not some bitter wrestling fan, because you really can't be as excited as I got during the Hogan match, or as pleased as I was during the Aries match. I love wrestling. But look at Bound For Glory and WrestleMania. Who came out of the biggest show of the year for both companies looking the best? Undertaker, Triple H, The Rock, Steve Austin, Sting and Hulk Hogan. Then you have John Cena who always looks good coming out of anything, whether he wins or loses. He's super protected. Nobody seems to be breaking through. Luckily, I still enjoy the fuck out of all those men, but it does make you wonder. None of them are around for the full 52 weeks. It seems like apart from WrestleMania's run-in and Bound For Glory's run-in, both promotions are in a state of confusion for the rest of the 10 months.

You are right but nobody draws in TNA though, Jeff Hardy made a slight difference to house show attendance last year, but that's it. This goes back to my point, the fans have a hard time getting into people because the company never push them right or stop their push. Folk were into Roode (the entire UKFF were united in their love of the fella), but when you have him lose after such a build it makes him look like a knob and he's let the fans down. TNAs choking for new 'TNA stars', you need new people to come along to tell 'new stories'.

I was really looking forward to the main event. I reasonably thought that Roode would win, as the BFG series reminded me of the rumble where the winner usually wins the World Title at mania.

That hasn't happened since 2007, either.

Was that Undertaker's Rumble victory or was there at least one afterwards?

Last nights TNA Bound For Glory in Philadelphia drew 2,500 fans which is being considered a disappointment considered the heavy build up and promotion for the event.
from Wrestlezone.

Well I watched the main event, gutted doesn't even begin to cover it. Does this remind anyone of Samoa Joe 5/6 years ago? When he was undefeated he was unstoppable, and then the rug was pulled from under him, like him or not a World Title win could have elevated him to top level of TNA. Now look at him.

I'm praying that doesn't happen to Roode. They had a chance to make a star and put him into the top tier with the non TNA main eventers and they fucking blew it. The chase isn't Angle cheating and Roode chasing after him. The chase was the BFG Series and Roodes everyman status, and how all his hard work and dedication pulled off; they did it so well too, thats the annoying thing.

Sigh, oh well.

wrestlezone.com

As we continue to get more information that is coming out from this past weekends Bound For Glory events, PWInsider is reporting that Bobby Roode was scheduled to win the world title from Kurt Angle.

Hogan lobbied to have Angle go over Roode because he felt that Roode wasn't ready for a run with the title as he doesn't feel the time is right for Roode to be the top guy.

In addition to Hogan's opinions on Roode, there was a lot of a banter as reported on Twitter between Hogan and AJ Styles. According to reports, there was a lot of resentment towards Hogan from the long time company employees as Hogan criticized Styles on Twitter after Styles missed Saturdays fan interaction event due to a death in his family.

Starting to look like the blasting of Roode on media meant more than others thought it did.

Archived