Favourite Simpsons Quotes

Family Guy PMSL

• Awards Moderator

I'd totally forgotten about this great piratical non-sequitur, but was reminded of it by rehearsing Treasure Island last night... Bart and Lisa are digging for treasure, and Bart is explaining how there's pirate booty everywhere:

Pirate Captain: Arrrr! Now we bury the treasure!

Sissy Pirate: Uh, Captain? Captain, I know we usually bury the treasure, but what if this time, we use it to buy things? You know... things we like.

(The captain shoots him, then looks at the other pirates, who start digging furiously in the sand)

Pirate Captain: Arrrr! We'll dig up the treasure in seven yarrr! I've drawn a map on this cracker, which Polly will hold for safe keepin'!

(A parrot on the Captain's shoulder takes the cracker in its beak, then looks around nervously)

Completely off-topic but most pirates didn't usually bury there treasure, some however did bury some loot in case they were caught and used it as a bargaining chip to get pardoned rather than hanged/hung. You know 'let me live and you'll get your money back'. Didn't work for Captain Kidd, whose treasure is still somewhere in the Carribean.

'NNNEEEEERRRRRRDDDDDDDD!'

• Awards Moderator
Completely off-topic but most pirates didn't usually bury there treasure, some however did bury some loot in case they were caught and used it as a bargaining chip to get pardoned rather than hanged/hung. You know 'let me live and you'll get your money back'. Didn't work for Captain Kidd, whose treasure is still somewhere in the Carribean.

'NNNEEEEERRRRRRDDDDDDDD!'

Last month, I went to a talk by David Cordingly, who is more or less the world authority on the history of piracy - his book Life Among The Pirates is supposedly the definitive work on them. He dispelled a lot of myths - still very interesting though! They tended not to even steal gold and things like that - medical supplies and other goods like that were far more valuable, especially on the Spanish Main. His new one is Captain Woodes-Rogers and the Pirates of the Caribbean which goes on about Blackbeard and Calico Jack and Ann Bonny and that lot.

Cordingly said he was the historical consultant for the first Pirates of the Caribbean film, but except for things like accurate ship sizes and so on, they didn't listen to him very much.

Aardman's new film The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists looks fun though (and obviously totally historically accurate). Also there's a new Treasure Island out next Christmas with Eddie Izzard as Long John Silver, Elijah Wood as Ben Gunn, and others like Philip Glenister and Donald Sutherland.

I second your 'NNNEEEEERRRRRRDDDDDDDD!'

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
From tonight's C4 ep

(Martin is digging in the national park, and uncovers a bone)

Martin: A bone? It could be from one of the major Homos!

Bart: You're one of the major...

Lisa: Forget it!

That reminds me of one of my favourite little throwaway lines where the punchline never gets said, but it absolutely had me creasing when I noticed (which was like the fifth time I'd seen the episode). From "hurricane Neddy", when they're showing a clip of his wayward youth and he's beating up his classmates at school -

Ned: "I'm Dick Tracy, take that Pruneface!"

"Now I'm Pruneface, take that Dick Tracy!"

"Now I'm Prune Tracy, take that..."

Teacher: "STOP THAT AT ONCE!"