The Lucha Libre Thread

Vamp

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Another good episode of LU this week. I'm not quite sure what the point of dragging Mack/Mundo over into this week was if they weren't going to make an angle out of it but the action was still fun. Aerostar doing mad shit and a heel turn and title change is always welcome. Wondering if Fenix/Aerostar will find a new third man or go their seperate ways. Apart from the Rabbit Tribe, the Trios division is incredibly light at the moment. Dario Cuerto continues to be amazing. He's my favorite authority figure character since Vince McMahon in 98-99. It's an original take on it too. He does a lot of heelish things but basically all he wants is to make LU the most crazy, violent and exciting show possible and doesn't really have much stake in any of the actual wrestlers. He'll happily fuck them all over for his own entertainment. He even hires bands for the shows to make it more of a party. All this while being a coked up corrupt murderer and underworld figure with ties to organised crime, mystical ancient demons and a monster brother locked up in a cage. Love it. Puma/Muertes was brilliant as always. Pure madness and great action.

7 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Another good episode of LU this week. I'm not quite sure what the point of dragging Mack/Mundo over into this week was if they weren't going to make an angle out of it but the action was still fun. Aerostar doing mad shit and a heel turn and title change is always welcome. Wondering if Fenix/Aerostar will find a new third man or go their seperate ways. Apart from the Rabbit Tribe, the Trios division is incredibly light at the moment. Dario Cuerto continues to be amazing. He's my favorite authority figure character since Vince McMahon in 98-99. It's an original take on it too. He does a lot of heelish things but basically all he wants is to make LU the most crazy, violent and exciting show possible and doesn't really have much stake in any of the actual wrestlers. He'll happily fuck them all over for his own entertainment. He even hires bands for the shows to make it more of a party. All this while being a coked up corrupt murderer and underworld figure with ties to organised crime, mystical ancient demons and a monster brother locked up in a cage. Love it. Puma/Muertes was brilliant as always. Pure madness and great action.

That's the best description of Dario I've ever read, and if you show that to a neutral, it's absolutely fucking mental. 

Dario!!!!

Was really looking forward to AAA on Frontrunner. I don't know what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't Alex Shane and nearly year old footage. This smark "commentary" (in its loosest definition) is ruining it for me. Not sure I'll be tuning in much longer. So happy LU is back

The commentary was down right bizarre at times.

"She's hotter than a McDonald's apple pie." 

"Her dress looks like something a devil in a drag club would wear."

Some ramble about the referee being both too old and "rotund" to referee a main event.

Constant talk about how Donald Trump was right to build the wall, backtracking when challenged about it, than saying they shouldn't build it high but should take accoustics into account because a kid in the audience looked annoying. 

Seemingly ignoring the actual main story behind next week's main event. Randomly dropping the rudo and technico phrases without explanation of what they actually mean. 

Talk about how the winning team of the lucha underground match might win a trios title shot which wasn't the point of the match at all. Presumably winning a showcase match on the biggest show of the year wasn't seen as enough motivation. 

Something along the lines of: "What's behind Pentagon's eyes. Well medically speaking his brain. But what else? Tequila?" 

Alex Shane insulting his colleague at the start of the first match for no reason other than he had decided to be a heel commentator. 

Honestly the only reason to watch this show is the English commentary. You can watch up to date AAA shows on their official YouTube channel in much better quality. I get the feeling that reading quotes from it would be much better than actually listening to it. 

I do think there's merit to a less serious commentary team for AAA. It's often a pretty surreal watch. This kinda felt like two pissed friends sitting down in front of the sofa talking while it was on. You suddenly feel far too sober. 

Oddly the first time the lucha underground match aired on PPV it had Matt Striker taking a shot at people complaining about his commentary on Twitter and Vampiro inviting a six year old on commentary and telling the kid he sucked. 

• Paid Members

Matt Striker dropped the most Matt Striker line possible on last weeks Lucha Underground: "Mack is known for using the three quarter nelson sit-out jawbreaker otherwise known as the Stunner". I quite like Striker for the most part on LU (nowhere else) but he can be an utter bellend at times.

You should hear him when he's not being produced. He managed to piss off everyone with a Benghazi reference at Triplemania and then sulked live on air when people on Twitter didn't like it. 

Archived