The Lucha Libre Thread

Vamp

• Paid Members

I've been to York Hall for it in previous years. The Saturday evening shows have been quite busy. The shows are more of an artistic spectacle than built around high work rate matches. It's interesting to go to but not must see wrestling. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
2 hours ago, gadge said:

I've been to York Hall for it in previous years. The Saturday evening shows have been quite busy. The shows are more of an artistic spectacle than built around high work rate matches. It's interesting to go to but not must see wrestling. 

Thank You

• Paid Members

A good description (that I think came from Linus) of Lucha Libre World shows is that they are basically "the latest attempt to market lucha to hipsters as art", rather than being a traditional 'wrestling' show.  It's more about soaking in the culture etc. I've enjoyed similar events that were held at the Roundhouse in Camden in about 2008 or so.

On this show you'll get a few 'genuine' Mexican luchadors, some with big names like El Hijo Del Santo and Silver King, and some independent dudes, as well as a few matches involving the Lucha Britannia crew underneath (probably a women's match and a multiway men's bout).

I'm at least planning on attending the one at Albert Hall in Manchester on the Thursday of the tour (which then takes in York Hall, Bethnal Green on the Friday and Saturday) before heading to the 'Lucha Forever' show in Liverpool the next day (which isn't really lucha at all, but is a good laugh).

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Big Benny HG said:

A good description (that I think came from Linus) of Lucha Libre World shows is that they are basically "the latest attempt to market lucha to hipsters as art", rather than being a traditional 'wrestling' show.  It's more about soaking in the culture etc. I've enjoyed similar events that were held at the Roundhouse in Camden in about 2008 or so.

On this show you'll get a few 'genuine' Mexican luchadors, some with big names like El Hijo Del Santo and Silver King, and some independent dudes, as well as a few matches involving the Lucha Britannia crew underneath (probably a women's match and a multiway men's bout).

I'm at least planning on attending the one at Albert Hall in Manchester on the Thursday of the tour (which then takes in York Hall, Bethnal Green on the Friday and Saturday) before heading to the 'Lucha Forever' show in Liverpool the next day (which isn't really lucha at all, but is a good laugh).

Thanks for that 

It's the Albert Hall one I'm going too just wanted to gauge what there shows were like as there doesn't seem to be much wrote about them 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I just watched it. It was, of course, fucking brilliant. Incredibly creative, full of crazy shit, brilliant dramatic booking and just fun. Lucha Underground is basically the perfect wrestling show when it's on point (and it regularly is). So happy this is back.

• Paid Members

It's been such a long break, I tried to remember all the outstanding stories to catch up on. Please add any that I've forgotten:

- Pentagon Dark is out of action with broken arms.

- Jeremiah is in love with Ivelisse.

- Dante Fox and Killshot have a feud going on...not sure where this was left off.

- Matanza chokeslammed El Dragon Azteca through the stands, then Rey backdropped him through the roof.

- Drago is under the control of Ember Moon and the Lizard Twins.

- Someone is sending Sexy Star dead spiders.

- Vampiro has taken on Prince Puma as his protege in his feud with Mil Muertes, not sure where this was left off.

- Joey Ryan has offered his services as an undercover cop to Dario Cuerto.

- Cage is in possession of some kind of ancient gauntlet that gives him super strength.

No idea what Marty The Moth, his sister, Famous B and The White Rabbit are up to.

Bloody hell look at all that mad shit, LU is the best.

Sexy Star battered Marty's sister in a match thinking she was the one sending the spiders, not sure if that was the end of a mini-feud or she was a red herring for that story. Then after the match Marty came out and chokeslammed his sister. So that's where they are right now. And last I remember, Mil Muertes attacked Vampiro and did his finisher in the ring as Puma watched on. Vampiro instructed him not to help him.

If I were ever going to show a non-fan an episode of wrestling tv this would be as good an example as I could offer up. Just a great story the whole way through with some ludicrous spots.

Archived