The Beatles Appreciation Thread

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Chris B said:

So, what do we think of the new Beatles song?

I really like it, but it'll take a little bit to separate it out from 'this is new, and I found the documentary they posted the other day nice and emotional'. 

Mind you, I also really liked Free as a Bird, quality of the recording of John's voice aside - I'd love to hear that redone with the technology they've used here too.

I was about to come in and tag @Frankie Crispwho I’m sure already is aware.

I like it, and like you also really liked Free as a Bird. I think it holds up really well considering it’s construction.

I'm into Free As A Bird too and like the original recording. Hadn't heard the original recording of this before so didn't know what to expect but first impression is it's alright for what it is and it sounds pretty decent for a Beatles song in 2023. Might need a few repeat listens to fully gauge how I feel on it.

My Beatles love was pretty late in the day. My parents were never that into them so my knowledge was pretty casual. Always enjoyed them whenever I heard them but wasn't something I actively looked for.

I really started to appreciate them on my honeymoon in Vegas when we went to see LOVE by Cirque du Soleil at The Mirage. I wasn't actually that bothered about seeing it. But there was something really special about it and it gave me a personal reason to care about them, and from there I've been absolutely fascinated by them. Their music. Their success. All of it.

Definitely one of those bands I wish I could've seen live at the height of their success. And it's such a treat to still be getting stuff today. Their legacy is incredible.

44 minutes ago, chokeout said:

It's been longer between Free as a Bird and this release than Abbey Road and Free as a Bird. 

Fuck OFF!

It does make you wonder though... had Lennon not died, would the Beatles have reformed in, say, the early 90s.  I can imagine Oasis and The Beatles doing a vast World Tour together.  Given that John and Paul remained friends after the split up, you have to think it was on the cards.

I was brought up on Beatles music and for me, more than any other band, their songs have become part of British folklore.  Yellow Submarine, Yesterday, Blackbird, Hey Jude... these feel like classic English folk songs more than pop hits knocked up in the studio by some lads from Liverpool

Macca at Glastonbury was something else... incredible set, and even the Wings songs sounded pretty good!

• Paid Members

They 100% would have reformed in the mid 80s. John and Paul had already started talking and George and Paul sorted their issues out eventually, working together in 81. Wings split in 81, George did nothing solo for 5 years after 82 after the failure of Gone Troppo and was publically disillusioned with music at the time. Ringo was Ringo and was still working with everyone. All the pieces were already in place for them to start working together again. 

There's an alternative timeline where The Beatles played Live Aid. 

Edited by chokeout

1 hour ago, chokeout said:

They 100% would have reformed in the mid 80s. John and Paul had already started talking and George and Paul sorted their issues out eventually, working together in 81. Wings split in 81, George did nothing solo for 5 years after 82 after the failure of Gone Troppo and was publically disillusioned with music at the time. Ringo was Ringo and was still working with everyone. All the pieces were already in place for them to start working together again. 

There's an alternative timeline where The Beatles played Live Aid. 

Not that I think they would have went full Stock Aitken Waterman but I've gone off on one now trying to imagine a Beatles sound in the 1980s. I'm sure it would have had that traditional noodling process and studio flair but obviously taking in some technological advancements. Wonderful Christmastime is already - instrumentally - a pretty badass example of what a Beatle done with warm, fuzzy analogue synths. 

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Never been a big fan (wasn't bought up on it all, and I think that makes a massive difference) but it's always heart warming to see one of my 13yo's most played songs on my Spotify is Here Comes The Sun. 

The Beatles skipped a generation for me.  I think I saw it too much as my mum and dad's music to get seriously into them as a teen, but my daughter is absolutely obsessed.  I don't think there's a surface in her room that doesn't have a bit of Beatles merch or artwork on it so we're now into them by osmosis.  Needless to say she is absolutely over the moon that a new Beatles song has come out in her lifetime.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Not that I think they would have went full Stock Aitken Waterman but I've gone off on one now trying to imagine a Beatles sound in the 1980s. I'm sure it would have had that traditional noodling process and studio flair but obviously taking in some technological advancements. Wonderful Christmastime is already - instrumentally - a pretty badass example of what a Beatle done with warm, fuzzy analogue synths. 

Jeff Lynne production guaranteed.