The Beatles Appreciation Thread

Frankie Crisp

I've only heard her screaming shite, and the one her and John stole from Frank Zappa. I might give these a whirl out of curiosity.

Dont Worry Kyoko is a a *helluva* tune

Not sure if you're being serious or not... but I absolutely am an admirer of that song. It's about her daughter who had been kidnapped (albeit by her father), so it's effectively Yoko screaming her anger and pain over a mind-melting blues riff (and what a band behind her as well - John Lennon, Ringo Starr, Eric Clapton and Klaus Voormann).

In terms of her "screamy" stuff though - "Why" is absolutely up there too and possibly even more intense. It's essentially a "guitar battle" between John and herself, the catch being Yoko's vocalising really!

The main problem with Yoko is that the first stuff Yoko put out as a "Beatle wife" were the Unfinished Music albums with John. And they're nothing but self-indulgent bollocks. Going from that stuff to "Don't Worry Kyoko" and "Why" makes you form a rather different opinion on them than if you come at them after hearing Approximately Infinite Universe, or Season Of Glass, or her more recent stuff.

Edited by Stunner

I've only heard her screaming shite, and the one her and John stole from Frank Zappa. I might give these a whirl out of curiosity.

Dont Worry Kyoko is a a *helluva* tune

Not sure if you're being serious or not... but I absolutely am an admirer of that song. It's about her daughter who had been kidnapped (albeit by her father), so it's effectively Yoko screaming her anger and pain over a mind-melting blues riff (and what a band behind her as well - John Lennon, Ringo Starr, Eric Clapton and Klaus Voormann).

In terms of her "screamy" stuff though - "Why" is absolutely up there too and possibly even more intense. It's essentially a "guitar battle" between John and herself, the catch being Yoko's vocalising really!

The main problem with Yoko is that the first stuff Yoko put out as a "Beatle wife" were the Unfinished Music albums with John. And they're nothing but self-indulgent bollocks. Going from that stuff to "Don't Worry Kyoko" and "Why" makes you form a rather different opinion on them than if you come at them after hearing Approximately Infinite Universe, or Season Of Glass, or her more recent stuff.

Totally serious about DWK mate.

What's hilarious (in the blackest of ways) is that when Richard Branson was first starting up Virgin, he coeerced Lennon into doing him a track. Lennon blatatantly couldn't be arsed and ended up giving him Baby's Heartbeat (the sounds of Lennon/Ono's dying unborn child).

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

I was lucky enough to get tickets to this on Saturday.

47571411-8829-4998-AB00-1D0CCDBAF2AF.thumb.jpeg.ac4cf1efdb0aa2831ee27f6c89b38eac.jpeg

It was a Mother’s Day gift for Ma Crisp, but we kept it a surprise as she loves anything Beatles-related. Wasn’t sure what to expect as it was only scheduled to last an hour and could easily have been dodgy.

As soon as we walked in to this, I knew it was going to be special.

472D93F5-A13A-4B99-94EC-3DAFED8D6071.thumb.jpeg.21cfeb42caf0451f9da290c4735932d2.jpeg

21C8F805-F289-4550-AE74-116150D80CB9.thumb.jpeg.430035d81e48039733adbbdb6870220d.jpeg

But I didn’t realise how special.

It was performed by the Liverpool String Quartet, all of whom live locally but originated from Iceland, Spain and different parts of the UK. They had a pianist accompany them which was a great touch, as he added plenty of depth to the performance. Think he was from Birkenhead.

They started with A Hard Day’s Night but then broke up the set list with an intro to the following 2/3 songs with a background to each and a few fun facts. As soon as the first note hit, the room almost simultaneously gasped.

28BB1EF0-F56E-4F04-9E69-79198DAD30C9.thumb.jpeg.6c2397d2e6559973ea08714115ace279.jpeg

You could hear a pin drop throughout and you could also hear plenty of people reaching for tissues, such was the emotion in the room. The set list was:

•    A Hard Day's Night
    •    I Want to Hold Your Hand
    •    Yesterday
    •    In My Life
    •    Eleanor Rigby
    •    Tomorrow Never Knows
    •    Strawberry Fields Forever
    •    Helter Skelter
    •    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    •    Oh! Darling
    •    I Want You (She's So Heavy)
    •    Here Comes the Sun
    •    Let It Be

I Want You was honestly one of the most incredible live performances of anything I’ve ever experienced. I was speechless. Thankfully there was no Ticket to Ride otherwise I’d have been a complete mess.

My Mum, however, didn’t escape the tears. She was overcome with emotion and I don’t recall seeing her so overwhelmed with happiness for years. It was an exquisite event, paced perfectly and the room they chose in St. George’s Hall just added to the grandeur of it all. Sixty-odd years after a few scallies from the south end got together, they’re still bringing us magic.

It may by diluted by just being a video, but here’s the opening to Let It Be. I can’t begin to describe how beautiful this was in person.

Yes, I know the first photo should bring about a Partridge reference.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• 6 months later...
  • Paid Members

So, what do we think of the new Beatles song?

I really like it, but it'll take a little bit to separate it out from 'this is new, and I found the documentary they posted the other day nice and emotional'. 

Mind you, I also really liked Free as a Bird, quality of the recording of John's voice aside - I'd love to hear that redone with the technology they've used here too.