The Beatles Appreciation Thread

Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator

The 'Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End' medley from Abbey Road is playing on Radio 2 at the moment. God, I love the bit towards its end where they're all just fiddling about on their guitars.

I know it wasn't the last thing they ever did, but "and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make" and that little coda would have been a perfect bookend to the group's history.

• 2 weeks later...

Frankie and everyone else if you're interested uncut have released a "ultimate music guide" series magazine on the beatles... Includes interviews with the group at various stages of their career together, seperate interviews and a interview with brian epstein a few days before he died and a chronological review of each album.

Its a bit pricey at

• Paid Members

I might have a look for that. Sounds like a good collectors' item. I borrowed all my dad's Beatles CDs over Christmas and put them on my MP3 player. Don't know why it took me do long to get around to doing that. Also, the Abbey Road tickets arrived on Friday. I'm stupidly excited about going there. Has anyone on here actually been there before? They've done these 'sessions' over the last couple of years so I'd like to know what past ones have been like.

• Paid Members

Found a few cool videos on youtube recently that are worth a watch for any Beatles fan.

Firstly, a complete overview of the creation of Strawberry Fields. From the first Demo to the final song. Watching the process is utterly fascinating. Highlight for me is at 18:20, when you hear the original take of the second part of the song at it's original speed. The drums/Timphony/orchestra combo sounds truly epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS6wswlJCB4

next, the process John Lennon goes through to write two of his last songs, 'Real Love' (which The Beatles released in 1995) and 'Stepping Out' which was due to be on his album 'Double Fantasy,' recorded days before he died. Put together using bootlegged demos from the late 70's. It's great watching the songwriting process, the way he mix and matches each part to come up with two complete songs is wonderful. Actually hearing him finding chords on his piano is great.

Part 1:

part 2:

Here's the title track from Sgt Pepper, deconstructed. It's always amazing to think they recorded this album with just a 4 track machine. This is nice example of how that works in reality. Each track is played separately:

There's quite of few of these 'Deconstruction' Beatles vids on youtube.

Dear Prudence

Hear Paul rock out on the drums from 9:15. He was a tidy drummer for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/user/judaharrison58

This channel has a few more.

Here's the title track from Sgt Pepper, deconstructed. It's always amazing to think they recorded this album with just a 4 track machine. This is nice example of how that works in reality. Each track is played separately

The process would have been even more amazing than that - each of those tracks would have been a fold-down of an earlier 4-track recording.

So they'd have record 4 tracks of drums, then folded those down onto a single track, then recorded rhythm guitar, then folded that down into a single track, then recorded guitar and brass on separate tracks, then folded them down to a single track, then recorded backing vocals and mixed those down, and so on.

That's what it sounds like anyway. Some of those albums of that era were hugely complicated on such simple systems.

It would have been something like this, which I snapped last time I was at Abbey Road:

64962_10151394878573633_1550541836_n.jpg

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
Found a few cool videos on youtube recently that are worth a watch for any Beatles fan.

Firstly, a complete overview of the creation of Strawberry Fields. From the first Demo to the final song. Watching the process is utterly fascinating. Highlight for me is at 18:20, when you hear the original take of the second part of the song at it's original speed. The drums/Timphony/orchestra combo sounds truly epic.

I watched loads from that channel a few months ago and I forgot or lost the link, gutted. You lovely bastard, cheers for finding it!

may be my favourite Beatles song. I always thought it was a McCartney one but is it Lennon? Paul and George are really on point in this song. George was 23 when he came up with that riff. Twenty fucking Three.

I think Mike Mills of REM is one of the most melodic Bass players since McCartney. You can hear the influence this song had on him.

• Paid Members
may be my favourite Beatles song. I always thought it was a McCartney one but is it Lennon? Paul and George are really on point in this song. George was 23 when he came up with that riff. Twenty fucking Three.

I think Mike Mills of REM is one of the most melodic Bass players since McCartney. You can hear the influence this song had on him.

It is Lennon, Revolver is such an amazing album.

Edited by Inspector Paul Solo