The Beatles Appreciation Thread

Frankie Crisp

That's bollocks. They're basing it on Helter Skelter and the Manson murders. I Will, Julia, Dear Prudence, Mother Nature's Son, Honey Pie, Good Night etc etc etc etc etc aren't heavy whatsoever.

• Paid Members
What are everyones thoughts on Ringo Starr's Solo stuff? He is no Phil Collins is he.

He's had a few good songs, mostly penned by George (It Don't Come Easy, Photograph) I don't know what people expect from him though, he was mainly a drummer and never a big songwriter or anything and huge solo success was never really on the cards for him. He still a big celebrity and does tours with his All Star band. If I recall his solo stuff was alot more popular in America than it ever was here, think he had two number 1 singles over there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

John Lennon's last interview - conducted three days before his death.

It was originally printed in Rolling Stone last year, but they've put it on their website now. Absolutely fascinating reading (I love the story of how he wrote 'Good Morning Good Morning' or how 'Woman' is "the grown-up version" of 'Girl') but apart from the anecdotes, it's a very insightful look at his life around that time - and for me personally, a perfect bookend to Nowhere Boy, which I saw for the first time last weekend.

Intro paragraph:

"On the evening of Friday, December 5th, 1980, John Lennon spoke to Rolling Stone editor Jonathan Cott for more than nine hours at his apartment on New York's Upper West Side and at the Record Plant recording studio. Three nights later, Lennon would be murdered as he was returning home from a mixing session. The interview had originally been scheduled to run as the cover story of the first issue of 1981, but after Lennon's killing, Cott instead wrote an obituary for Lennon and ended up using very little from their conversations. In fact, he never even fully transcribed his tape. On the 30th anniversary of Lennon's death, we present, for the first time, the full text of Lennon's last major print interview: the joyous, outrageously funny, inspiring, fearless and subversive conversation Lennon shared with us that night, as he was preparing to jump back into the limelight after five years of private life with Yoko and their young son, Sean."

Interesting quote from page 3:

"These critics with the illusions they've created about artists – it's like idol worship. Like those little kids in Liverpool who only liked us when we were in Liverpool – a lot of them dropped us because we got big in Manchester, right? They thought we'd sold out. Then the English got upset because we got big in... what the hell is it? They only like people when they're on the way up, and when they're up there, they've got nothing else to do but shit on them. I cannot be on the way up again. What they want is dead heroes, like Sid Vicious and James Dean. I'm not interested in being a dead fucking hero... So forget 'em, forget 'em."

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYS6TJ3aOIE

My favourite band is one called Type O Negative and on one of their albums they released a medley of Beatles songs Day Tripper, If I Needed Someone and I Want You (She's So Heavy),, all done in their unbelievable doom style. I guess I'm just curious as to what you Beatles fans thoughts are of this song i.e if you like it or not, so please leave thoughts.

Another reason why Abbey Road is awesome on vinyl is the side two medley, it just works perfectly in that format, in addition to sounding fucking great. Listening to the songs as individual MP3s just can't be the same, who wants to hear Golden Slumbers with the glorious lift up into Carry That Weight?

• Awards Moderator

Yup. I've got very few vinyls but I do have all Beatles LPs and whenever I can be arsed, I'll set up the old record player and Abbey Road is usually the first album I'll put on. Even on MP3, though, it makes a huge difference playing either/both medleys rather than just one of the songs. I've always said that the medleys are the greatest end to any album but each song on its own doesn't have anywhere near as much impact as when bunched in with the other ones. It's breathtaking and in some ways heartbreaking when you hear Golden Slumbers going in to Carry That Weight then in to The End. Not much music is beautiful, but that is.

Edited by Frankie Crisp