The Beatles Appreciation Thread

Frankie Crisp

Gutted that there's no screening near enough, daresay it'll get a DVD release so I'll be snapping that up as soon as I can. Sort of rediscovering my love for this band at the moment, three or four years ago I thought I couldn't get anything else out of their catalogue, having listened to them since I was four or five with my family, and by the age of eighteen or so knowing every note and lyric in their catalogue. The remasters piqued my interest for a bit and then I moved back to the other stuff I was discovering at the time. When I was a kid I loved the early, more immediate stuff, and when I got older I started to appreciate Abbey Road, White Album and Revolver a lot more, which I guess is probably a similar trajectory of listening to a lot of their fans (except stuff like 'Yellow Submarine' and 'Octopuses Garden' which is just made for kids really).Anyway, my passion was reignited after I read 'You Never Give My Your Money' a couple of months back, which really does give a fascinating insight into events between 1967 to the present day, and all the wrangles, battles with booze and drugs and basically what happened to everyone in the years after shit started going wrong between them all. It's brilliantly written as well, gives really vivid portrayals of the various characters involved and is meticulously researched, there's all sorts I never knew about from Lennon/McCartney drunken recording sessions in 1977 to court fights over various things and Ringo Starr's downward spiral into coke and drink in the 70s.Just bought 'Revolution In The Head' which is similarly fantastic, though totally different in style. Only a quarter of the way through but I definitely rate it as one of the best books on them I've read (and about music and the sixties in general actually).

Edited by RIP Diva Sunny

• Awards Moderator

Gutted that there's no screening near enough, daresay it'll get a DVD release so I'll be snapping that up as soon as I can.

It's released on DVD/Blu-Ray next Monday, available for pre-order at the usual online sites. I ordered mine a few weeks ago, not realising it would be getting a big-screen showing.

Just bought 'Revolution In The Head' which is similarly fantastic, though totally different in style. Only a quarter of the way through but I definitely rate it as one of the best books on them I've read (and about music and the sixties in general actually).

Agreed. It's a stunning book. I first read it about a decade ago and must've re-read it a dozen or so time since. It's great to read from cover-to-cover, but also to just pick up for reference regarding a particular song or album. As you say, one of the best Beatles book out there. I'd also recommend After The Break-Up, which covers 1970 through to 2000 (or at least my copy does but there's probably an appended version out there somewhere covering the last decade). Edited by Frankie Crisp

Agreed. It's a stunning book. I first read it about a decade ago and must've re-read it a dozen or so time since. It's great to read from cover-to-cover, but also to just pick up for reference regarding a particular song or album. As you say, one of the best Beatles book out there. I'd also recommend After The Break-Up, which covers 1970 through to 2000 (or at least my copy does but there's probably an appended version out there somewhere covering the last decade).

Cheers for the recommendation, I'll check it out. Don't know what it is about Beatles literature but I lap it up, a lot of books I get bored with quickly, yet with works about them I'll sit and read them from cover to cover in a few days.

• Awards Moderator

Just got back from watching Living in the Material World. It's incredible.

Many of the stories aren't anything most Beatles fans won't already know, but to hear them put across in such a manner from so many of George's closest friends and family really made it. The sections surrounding Clapton's infatuation with Pattie Boyd and the story told by Olivia regarding Harrison getting stabbed had me utterly enthralled. Some of the unseen footage and images are fantastic, too, as well as the contributions from Eric Idle and Terry Gilliam.

I've loved the anecdote about Lennon 'baptising' an old girl for years so it was great to hear that come up. My only criticism was the absence of Hear Me Lord, which would have been the perfect foil during the numerous sections about Harrison's faith. Can't have everything, I guess.

For any fans who haven't already ordered the DVD, do it now. At three and a half hours long you'd expect to get a bit bored however the film just flew by and I actually could have done without the intermission. Most of the audience was the same as there must have only been 30 or so people who left the room at the break. It got a round of applause at the end which says a lot, given that it was a film rather than a play or concert.

Buy it!

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

That video has been doing the rounds for years. Lennon was well-known for his mockery of the mentally ill and for his warped sense of humour. It was something he did for years, before The Beatles were famous and he continued it pretty much until they stopped touring. Political correctness is a world away from what it is then, so it's difficult to compare it to someone doing it nowadays. Saying that, Lennon did say in a number of post-Beatle interviews that he did it due to ignorance and not being able to get his head around mental illness, but later regretted it as he grew up.

• Paid Members

I'd say mocking mental illness in a comedy gig, from a comedian known for being quite offensive is a lot different from one of the frontmen from arguably the biggest band ever doing it. Neither are right of course, but the context is massively different.

Keeno, as soon as you use the words "Political Correctness" to defend the actions of a cunt, or a pair of cunts in this case, then you lose.

Where was I defending? I was pointing out the difference between the 60's and now, what you could get away with then, and what you can get away with now.

Keeno, as soon as you use the words "Political Correctness" to defend the actions of a cunt, or a pair of cunts in this case, then you lose.

Where was I defending? I was pointing out the difference between the 60's and now, what you could get away with then, and what you can get away with now.

I'd say

Which in a way was a good thing.
is defending to an extent.