The Championship and Lower Leagues Thread 2011/2

patiirc

• Awards Moderator
Here we go, the final game of the season, I think that Saints will see the job through, either that or its probably going to be one of the most biggest chokes by a football team in recent memory!

It'd be even more unforgivable than signing up for Secret Santa and then not sending a gift.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Here we go, the final game of the season, I think that Saints will see the job through, either that or its probably going to be one of the most biggest chokes by a football team in recent memory!

It'd be even more unforgivable than signing up for Secret Santa and then not sending a gift.

Indeed.

Everyone feel free to make fun of "davewilson" aka vanhalen2007 for a while.

Absolutely gutted for a friend of mine, he plays for Macclesfield Town and as of today they are relegated to the football conference.

They've had no luck at all this season, hopefully they can regroup over the summer and come back stronger. I'd hate to see them fall out of their arse like local neighbours Stockport County have.

So Saints this year, Norwich last year, and very nearly Leicester the year before that. What's going on with the promoted League One teams taking the piss in the Championship? Relegated Premier League teams, solid Championship outfits AND perennial fuck-upperers Cardiff are getting lapped. Discuss.

• Paid Members

Probably due to a mixture of those clubs that have lapped or nearly done it all being big clubs with good resources, having great managers at that level and the momentum of a season of winning games behind them. There's not really all that much between some of the big clubs at the top of League One and the teams in the middle/lower-middle of the Championship. I'd expect Charlton to do well next season aswell, they probably need another goalscorer but they have a class defence.

• Paid Members

Hereford survive for another week, great result from what I've heard today, now down to a 3rd place (?) Torquay next week to stay up.

Very happy for Southampton today, if only because it makes it easier to watch the brilliant talents they have next season (Jack Cork for sure is a future England star for me). Coventry though, can many people see Gael Bigirimana moving on? He's been a good player for them considering how young and unlucky the team has been this year, he's been with them since he was 11 or so but surely a Champ team or even one of the lower Prem clubs could pick him up?

As I said all the way along, Southampton won promotion because they didn't lose key players for large chunks of the season to injury. Not talking about West Ham but look at Derby County. They're not necessarily a one-man team but they lost key players, Steve Davies especially, and their promotion charge died in his absence. Rickie Lambert played 42 league games, Davies played 20. If Davies plays 42 in a season, he's breaking 25 goals and Derby are playoff contenders.

• Paid Members

Momentum is a huge part of it, and reasonable financial sense off the pitch in terms of not spending too heavily, but leaving enough for a solid foundation and core group combined with some positive attacking football.

Well bloody done to Southampton. I honestly didn't think back to back promotions would be done again for a long time, purely because its been so long since Manchester City did it before us. The jump between League One and the Championship isn't as big as up to the Prem, but it's still really competitive and unpredictable.

This year some people have talked about Grant Holt getting a look-in for England, and I reckon Rickie Lambert will similarly go on to score a few goals and make people take notice in the top division.

While I've never had and probably never will have any love for Southampton as a club or for their fans, I'm very pleased for Nigel Adkins and their players who've had to come up the hard way. Adkins has been amongst the best managers in the country since he first took over at Scunthorpe and he bided his time, coaching where he could but, in the main, being a physio. As somebody who has followed his career, I'm pleased for him to finally get to the top flight.

Archived