Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I'm not gay but can anyone recommend the best feature docs currently on Netflix? I can't be arsed sitting through an entire series and all the most highly rated ones I've searched have been Netflix produced series. Like I say, I'm not gay, just asking for a friend.

Queer eye for a straight guy is on there.  It will suit you both as he is gay so will like the queer eye, and you are straight so will like the straight guy.  Don’t like him too much though, or you might catch gay.

• Paid Members

Finders Keepers is worth a look on Netflix, the premise is pretty absurd, a guy buys a job lot type thing and recieves a rusty old bbq, in it he finds a severed foot, amputee wants his foot back, chaos ensues...

Besides the premise its actually a pretty heavy documentary revolving around the 2 main characters. One of which is so mental you have to believe hes an actor playing a part. Wont say no more but its pretty good.

Yeah, bit gay.  American Vandal was fun, it's a mockumentary about a school where someone drew dicks on all the cars, a prankster at the school was renowned for drawing dicks everywhere so he got the blame.

I'm not gay but there isn't anything gay about it.  Not even all the dicks, that wasn't gay.

(Not gay)

• Moderators

Over on iPlayer, Louis Theroux's curated a list of documentaries that influenced him, and which are all available on the BBC archive. For fans of Scarfolk, I highly recommend Inside Story: Mini, an amazing BBC doc from 1975 about an 11-year-old arsonist who's deemed too dangerous for society and lives in a facility for wild children. Some truly phenomenal 1970's looks on all of the men.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p06bqccn/louis-theroux-docs-that-made-me

The one on that list about James Randi who exposes psychics and faith healers is great.

There's also one on iPlayer called Leaving the Cult (which is actually called Sons of Perdition) that I saw a few years back and loved. It's about a bunch of 15/16 year old lads who leave that polygamist mormon cult in Utah. Some of it's pretty sad as they just want to live a regular life and go to school, get a job, meet girls etc but they've lived such a sheltered life that they don't even know what a comic book or banana is.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00szwgj/storyville-leaving-the-cult

• Awards Moderator
20 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Finders Keepers is worth a look on Netflix, the premise is pretty absurd, a guy buys a job lot type thing and recieves a rusty old bbq, in it he finds a severed foot, amputee wants his foot back, chaos ensues...

Besides the premise its actually a pretty heavy documentary revolving around the 2 main characters. One of which is so mental you have to believe hes an actor playing a part. Wont say no more but its pretty good.

Thanks for the recommendation, watched this last night. What a great story. Shannon was born to be in the wrestling business.

• Moderators
On 7/18/2018 at 12:33 PM, Egg Shen said:

I refuse to believe that's not Danny McBride in a fat suit.

On 7/20/2018 at 1:02 PM, SuperBacon said:

Series 3 of Last Chance U has just hit Netflix. That's the weekend gone...

So, just finished this up and will put in spoilers. Please don't read until you've watched all of the series and the 1 episode recap on EMCC (filed under Season 4 on Netflix)

So, they've moved away from EMCC after 2 seasons there and have now rocked up at Independence, Kansas, an absolutely quintessential Middle America town.

They've been on a losing streak for quite some years and they have bought in abrasive, no nonsense coach Jason Brown. If you thought Coach Buddy swore and spoke badly to his kids? Holy shit. Hated him at first, but grew to like him. He clearly cares about the kids, and he's just a different dude who lets his passion spill out on to the pitch.

Some top notch players at this school too. Malik Henry, transfer out of FSU, looking to make it back. Rakeem Boyd, running back who to me, was the best player on the show. But for me, the best parts of the show are focusing on the people behind the pads. Take Bobby Bruce...ah Bobby. Proper fell in love with him. A simple lad, from Florida, who survived absolute hardship growing up, he is the one who NEEDS the college offer and NFL life more than anyone you sense. He is desperate for it. He works super, super hard to up his grades and then the denoument at the end that says he got arrested over the summer break and won't be let back to school....ugh....heartbreaking, as you are really, really rooting for him. A* series as always.

Then there's the Where Are They Now? episode where we see Ms Wagner, Coach Buddy, John Franklin III, Tim Bonner, but what Netflix unfortunately was former EMCC players Isaiah Wright and his brother Camion Patrick being arrested for murder, so the second half of the episode focuses on that, what happened, and the trial, and again, the heartbreak of it all.

This show makes me want to be a teacher, or a social worker, or get back into youth work, that's how fucking good it is.