The Coronation Street thread

Dashing

I can't get away with Eastenders. Not watched it properly in years, and everytime I do turn it on it's full of annoying interchangeable mockney urchins who've just stepped out of Harry Brown. Either that, or bringing old slappers who can't get work anywhere else like Bianca and Kat Slater back - if you're going to dig up the past, why not spend some fucking money and get someone decent Big Dan Sullivan back?

Can't say I found Nana Moon as emotionally affecting as everybody else, I was just glad that I'd never have to hear her "Oooooh, Alfiiiie!" catchphrase again. It'd be the same for me when somebody finally puts a pillow over Jittery Jean Slater's face. As fucking miserable as it is, I really don't think Eastenders does 'serious' storylines well - like with Big Trev and Little Mo, it was supposed to be all Nil By Mouth, but there was too much slapstick comedy with people getting hit by irons and Christmas dinners getting drowned in gravy.

Edited by Magnum

• Paid Members

Nana Moon was heartbreaking, not just her death but when she got Alzheimers or something before it and they had Christmas during the summer or something, that and the death of Nana in the Royal Family are the most I have cried at anything in the last 10 years.

• Paid Members
The Kevin Webster trial makes for pretty grim reading. Raping a 6 year old and telling her if she talked she'd die.

Thats textbook noncery though ennit?

What is alarming about this case though, is it isnt like a lot of these other cases doing the rounds in that it's solely against the one girl as i understand it? There was a lot of talk on here about some of the other big names getting done, about how it was an abuse of their fame and power and taking advantage of several impressionable young girls. This reads far more like your typical sex case which i find a bit more disturbing.

I bet that impressionist on BGT a few years back is furious, that's the best bit of his act down the shitter.

Yeah, just sounds like straight up noncery; she must be a relative, as he (ALLEGEDLY, ok Maverick?) carried on doing it for years.

Is he still a character on Corrie? How did they write him out?

• Paid Members

They said he's looking after his dad who had a heart attack in Corrie. I wasn't having a go lad, was just wondering if the evidence so far makes him look really really guilty or whatever, I try not to look into these things in too much detail.

Edited by Maverick

• Paid Members
Is he still a character on Corrie? How did they write him out?

I don't know how they've explained his absence in the show, or if they even have. Someone on here (I forget who) suggested that the writers should have just said he was in the gents when the Rovers went up in flames a few months ago.

Have they explained where Ken has gone in the show?

• Paid Members

As I said above Kevin has been written out by saying he's looking after his dad who's had a heart attack or stroke I don't remember which and Ken has gone to Canada to look after his son who's also ill. Ill off screen family members are the answer seemingly.

The advantage of Coronation Street is that characters disappear for 3-4 months at the best of times as a matter of routine. If they don't have a storyline, you just don't see them. With Ken, though, if Bill Roache goes down I think they should just go down the Nick Tilsley route and have a different actor play him. Cut to the Barlow house for a scene of Ken getting henpecked by Deirdre and Tracy, and there's Richard out of Keeping Up Appearances or someone like that. As long as Peter Barlow sells it properly, people will accept him.

Edited by Magnum

• Paid Members

Fairly easy to miss to be fair -- there was no mention of him for months, and then one throwaway exchange between Deirdre and Tracey that was never mentioned again.

The Roy and Hayley stuff is so hard to watch, mainly because I know I'd react exactly like Roy if the same situation happened to me, acting all rationally and Googling the fuck out of it.