The Coronation Street thread

Dashing

• Paid Members

Really sad news, this. Didn't even know she had been ill. I watch Corrie on and off and hadn't even noticed she was off.

To put her longevity into perspective, Deirdre made her debut at a time that Pedro Morales was WWWF Champion. Definitely a national treasure, as all the Corrie greats become.

• Paid Members

This is a real shame. Everyone loved Deirdre. I know its overused, but she's probably a national treasure. 44 years in Corrie gives you that status.

It is overused, but in this case totally valid. Can't think of anyone who doesn't know who she is. Always led her private life with dignity, no scandal or dirt ever spewed about her, anyone I know who has met her said she was a class act. Very rarely does the death of a celebrity get to me, this is one of those times.

• Paid Members

Awful news in the soap world, grew up on the On/Off Ken and Deidre debacles. It'll be a sad loss to the street. The fact she came out a few days ago saying she was contemplating quitting the show and then this ... just wow.

Up there with the corrie losses of Blanch and Betty, but with the addition of not being that old.

My mum's older, and that's when all these celebs dying at these ages really hit home for me.

• Paid Members

How many characters are there now in Corrie from more than 30 years ago? Ken, Rita, Gail, Emily Bishop (is she even still in it?). Anyone else?

http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_longest_running_characters

Based on that, the current long-termers list in order is:

50+ years

Ken

Emily

Rita

40+ years

Gail

30+ years

Tracey (*#)

Audrey

Nick (*)

Kevin

20+ years

Sally

Liz (#)

Steve

David (*)

Norris

Sophie (*)

10+ years

Roy

Leanne (#)

Tyrone

Dev

Eileen

Maria

Kirk

Jason

Todd (#)

Fiz

Tony (#)

Chesney

Amy (*)

* - multiple actors

# - absence of more than a year during run

So that's eight current actors who've been in it more than 20 years unbroken, with David Nielsen (Roy) joining them in June.

Edited by JNLister

The same Danny Dyer who basically conveys any emotion by closing his eyes a bit narrower?

Actually I liked him in Goodbye Charlie Bright, Severance and Football Factory but he doesn't half phone it in sometimes

Anyway, that Steve scene had Kym Marsh in it, which instantly makes that scene better than anything in, say, The Godfather

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

In one of those 'only a wrestling fan would notice' bits, I watched an old episode from the 90's where Raquel cooked Des Barnes a Chinese banquet in his house and she played some mood music that turned out to only be the bloody Great Muta's NWA theme.