The Coronation Street thread

Dashing

• Moderators
You have to remember the guy is 80 and has always been a complete mental though, I doubt he even realized what he was saying in the context. It's no excuse but hes reached that national treasure status where they have more to gain from him being about than not. At least he's offered a full apology.

Yeah, some apology. He just denied that he'd said the thing we all saw him saying in the footage of it.

• Paid Members

I heard about what he'd said, but at no point have i discovered why Ken Barlow was being asked about that subject by a TV show in New Zealand?

What was the context of it all, and why do the Kiwi's give a fuck about Roache, or his opinions on child abuse? Was it a Webster thing? Or a long overdue storyline in which Cuddly Ken decides he's worked his way through all of the established talent on the street and starts making moves on the up and comers?

• Paid Members

I'm not defending him I just imagine most 80 year olds interviewed would have some wacky views, especially one who's a known crazy and not to be taken seriously. He's always predicting the world will end and such. Matrix he was being interviewed before going on a publicity tour of New Zealand, they asked him about Saville and he went off on a tangent about his own crazy Glen Hoddle esque beliefs on Karma and past lives.

They missed a trick on getting Kevin Webster out of the show there. If someone would have just went "oh, Kev was having a piss when the pub went up as well". Just casually tell the audience he's dead and he wont be back. It'll save the bother of having to pretend he's not around because he's got stuff to do. There isn't enough jobbing out of characters. I remember when Emmerdale got rid of Terry, he just burned to death and we never even saw it. It was just like "oh, Terry was in there as well".

It's already turned to havoc without him. Whenever there's a fight in the middle of the street, Kev is always the one to come sprinting in and break it up. But when Gary started scrapping with that oily cunt who's having it off with Chesney's lass, it took a full half hour for Owen to turn up and intervene, and by that time Chesney had already found out and no doubt consigned months worth of storylines to the bin.

• Paid Members

They just don't have him in storylines. A few years back they adopted a new policy of having a bigger cast than they "need" to fill the schedule, so they can cycle the characters and give people a few weeks off by just not having their character do anything. I think they switched to that system after realising that if you are doing five episodes a week, the featured characters at any particular time are in it so much that eventually you have to give the actor a complete break to stop them cracking up.

• Paid Members

Partially why i'm so baffled as to why Ken Barlow is off doing publicity in New Zealand?

I hope they bring Webster back, on the proviso that he returns looking like this:

kevin-webster-michael-le-vell-284x300.jpg

Surely even the staunchest of anti child abuse campaigners would find it in their hearts to forgive a man who looks like that?

• 3 weeks later...

Conversation (well, I count it as one) I had with Nigel Havers on Twitter yesterday:

@thenigelhavers Good Morning! Who's looking forward to Corrie tonight?

@Magnum @thenigelhavers Nigel, what do you make of Dev recently? For me he's really come into his own as one of our finest living actors.

@thenigelhavers @Magnum Jimmi is honestly one of the finest actors I've ever worked with NH

I love Dev, problem is all the people he's surrounded with. Amber was an obnoxious twat, Sunita despite being very doable had the personality of a damp tissue and his children make me want to drain my sperm out with a crazy straw.

Does anyone else despise Stella as much as me? Jesus christ would have to struggle to out martyr her. She's so fucking reasonable and wholesome meeting her probably gives you diabetes.

I also hate Leanne. She's an ex-prostitute who marries men to get jobs and yet she takes the moral high ground with everybody. Especially Carla.

'You stole my man'

YOU FUCKING KILLED HER HUSBAND WITH HOOKER POWERS FROM HIS FUCKING BOOT. Oh they say it's an accident but I know better.

And I hate Simon. Curly haired bastard, he's either being a prick or crying.

I have issues.

Oh and I hate Deidre.