The Soaps Thread

Steveo2007

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Or they're just jumping on the fact that the show has been trending on social media over the last few days so making the most of some easy likes and retweets to keep their social media presence going.

Yeah, probably.

• Paid Members

The same Sky account has said that they just do social media etc and have no influence on programming. 

• Paid Members

I have vague memories of the Young Doctors and Sons & Daughters from when I was off school sick. Also a weird story arc on Neighbours where Lucy Robinson got stuck down a manhole and temporarily went blind from the trauma, then when her eyesight returned tried to keep faking it for a while as she was enjoying how easy life was..

45 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I have vague memories of the Young Doctors and Sons & Daughters from when I was off school sick. Also a weird story arc on Neighbours where Lucy Robinson got stuck down a manhole and temporarily went blind from the trauma, then when her eyesight returned tried to keep faking it for a while as she was enjoying how easy life was..

I’d forgotten about that Lucy storyline. She also nearly died of a bee sting and Clive Gibbons performed emergency surgery on her on the Robinson’s kitchen table. She also had a brain tumour removed a couple of years later. Then in the early 90s, the Melissa Bell Lucy was kidnapped by a crazed stalker. She was most unlucky was poor Lucy.

My mum used to watch the Young Doctors and my main memory of that was Sister Scott falling down the hospital lift shaft. Good times.

• Moderators

Young doctors also had the most badass theme tune of them all. 

Then of course there was the New Zealand'S gambit of Shortland Street. It was fucking shit but my dad loved it. When he was on the dole when I was growing up he was all about that and Knots Landing. 

• Paid Members

Did anybody used to watch that Sunset Beach that was on in the really early days of channel 5. It felt like a parody of a soap rather than a soap. Some properly melodramatic American thing, it was at the very least played tongue in cheek of it wasn't actually a piss take. 

32 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Did anybody used to watch that Sunset Beach that was on in the really early days of channel 5. It felt like a parody of a soap rather than a soap. Some properly melodramatic American thing, it was at the very least played tongue in cheek of it wasn't actually a piss take. 

Yeah I used to watch it, but only really for Meg (Susan Ward) to be honest.

It was fucking dreadful. 

4 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Actually I'd love to know a bit more about the American soaps. I know there have been some long runners and wanna know which is the most batshit. Any experts?

• Paid Members

I do remember one omnibus we were watching at the weekend where one episode ended with two characters, and they came back from the break into the next episode and there was a different actor playing one of the characters. Then a couple of weeks later the original one was back. 

Sunset Beach only ran a few years didn’t it? I’m sure they had a Poseidon Adventure style catastrophe and an evil twin in that short time. Mad show.

What was the soap opera that was on the rudey channel that was like Sunset Beach but with shagging? Probably on between naked darts and something with Emily Booth. 

27 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I do remember one omnibus we were watching at the weekend where one episode ended with two characters, and they came back from the break into the next episode and there was a different actor playing one of the characters. Then a couple of weeks later the original one was back. 

The best handling of different actors playing the same character was the return of Kym Valentine to Neighbours as Libby Kennedy. One episode ended with her temporary replacement going underwater in a kayaking accident, and the next one began with the real Libby emerging from the rapids.

It reminded me of when the original Ultimate Warrior got locked in that casket, only for the new one to be freed.

2 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Sunset Beach only ran a few years didn’t it? I’m sure they had a Poseidon Adventure style catastrophe and an evil twin in that short time. Mad show.

What was the soap opera that was on the rudey channel that was like Sunset Beach but with shagging? Probably on between naked darts and something with Emily Booth. 

Oh my god I think I actually know the name. Was is like, Passion Cove, or The Passions Cove. No idea. Stop on the Love Boat innit.